Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kakamas you say? Amageza 2013  (Read 17044 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Kakamas you say?
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 09:29:23 am »

One of two people to finish on a big 950, which I thought was really something!

Thanks for the RR its great seeing the event through the eyes of someone like yourself.

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Scenic Ride

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • ...for Mental Floss!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 12:03:47 pm »
Thanks for the RR,  well done!!!
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:28 pm »
come Andrew. Where's the rest?

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:17 pm »
I said I am putting this up but there is going to be a bit of a mission getting to the rest of it.

This is an endurance event, byt vas!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:31:43 am by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline MegaPix

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »
 :sip:
Kobus Schoeman
www.ksphoto.co.za
Highveld, CENTURION 
Bike:  First ever - Big Boy 200  XTG, KLR 650, latest buy... Suzuki DL650 V Strom ***SOLD***

Offline Tuareg

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Braap....
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 12:55:27 pm »
I'm going to be following this thread, and others like it, closely......
I'd like to think that Amageza will fit into my plans for next year
Loads to do before then, starting with sorting out my day job so that it can support my riding
Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv

Offline Tuareg

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Braap....
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »
This is an endurance event, byt vas!

It's so much more than that.....
It's inspiration & a blue print for the likes of us that want to get involved
Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »
Ear plugs and alarm clocks?

Yup, plugs to sleep, alarm to wake… close enough to my head seemed to work.

A bit about how I prefer to dress. I had only brought a pair of riding pants and two riding jerseys. Under that I wear a wicking top under a ballistic jacket. I wear wicking longjohns under carbon knee braces and short thin socks. The longjohn acts like a sock for the calf bit. I go to bed in the socks longjohns and wicking top, so that all I have to do is pull on the rest and I am good to go. I had brought 4 sets of under wear, a pair of knee removable tech pants, a down armless jacket and a shell jacket. For rain I have an oversize lightweight MTB jacket that can go over my ballistic jacket on once on the bike.

Longjohns and Jacko on an earlier trip.

At the end of the day, I get clean and put on the next days wicking under wear and then then tech pants and jackets. The layer system is great and cuts down on having to carry too much shit especially when it has to all fit into a trommel. It’s a sytem that I had adapted from when I tour. I hate carting heavy clothes and prefer to go minimal and have multi-functional gear.

So, quick visit to the loo’s @ 4 and a comment whilst on it to the big Wilddog racing thread to give details of my online tracking. I have quite a clever iPhone app that would allow people to track me real time so long as I was in cell reception. Even more clever, it uses its internal gps to save the route and once back in cell reception would upload it. I know from experience that following someone live is about as good a seat you can get on a rally. It’s also super effective at ruining productivity in the workplace and raising stress levels when the dot stops for more than an expected time

Then, pull on my kit and have a bowl of Futurelife cereal whilst faffing and checking things for the who knows how many’th time. If Futurelife even has half the stuff advertised on the box, one could live on it forever. I made sure my water was as full as can be, double checked all myriad of things that I thought I would need or use and fired up the big twin. I have pumper carbs on a 990 engine. They don’t have a choke so can be a bit niggly to start on colder days but once even slightly warm, they burst into life.

I was position 106, 101 and 102 – Rudi would lead off, Hendirck and his partner Mark would be next and then Dave and I. I wasn’t expecting there to be too many issues with navigating the liaison. I wasn’t nervous but pretty calm. Even though I’d made the rally in a last minute mad dash, most of my kit had been tested last year so I was thinking if I’ve not forgotten to pack or tighten something then all should be fine despite Alex’s horror briefing. The first liaison of nearly 450k’s was a good shake down opportunity. A bit of a concern was the time we were given to get to the start line – 5hrs 36 mins. It sounds like quite reasonable when on tar, but this was offroad and all speed limits when not observed would attract stiff penalties.

My start time was 5.34am and special stage start time would be 11.10am

A super excited, Captain Gadget, Jan

Not much else to do but wait;

I enjoy riding with music and had the Black Crowes doing their thing whilst waiting to start. Then with a few well wishes from many, before I knew it, my Amageza had started!

The video is in HD

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MY7T_BTDH-E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MY7T_BTDH-E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:46:03 pm by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »
It had all happened just a bit quick, all the stuff and others and fretting. Nothing much more I could do now but to experience the ride.

The Safcol forest road heading towards Arabella not far from the start is very familiar to me, I have done a ton of testing there on my suspension. I realised as we headed onto the dirt that although I had ridden the Mitas E09 rear before, I had never ridden the Mitas C23 that I had on the front. So I was feeling out the front and how it rode, I have experienced that Mitas tires are pretty pressure sensitive to me, so had I got the pressure right? I kept the front just under 2 bar and the rear at 1.7. Also, I was wondering if 2 more clicks on compression up front would be a good idea. There’s an off camber steep downhill with slippery gravel that nearly caught me out. In feeling out the front I was hoofing along and riding aggressively and was close to going farming not 10k’s into a 2000k jaunt!

Rudi took a really meek little tumble whilst Mark Driver and I were behind him. As I helped him pick his bike up he looked a little spooked so I had a few “gentle words of calmness” to him. Actually, I know him pretty well and have ridden with him a lot, he’s normally quite fun and calm, but the fall and struggle to pick his bike up made him seem to me to be less calm that usual. On reflection as I was riding along, I was hoping that I hadn’t been too blunt in my encouragement to get his mind back into the game.

I really struggled to stick to the speed limits. I found myself playing the game of sitting right on the edge of the limit not as shown by the bike but by the GPS, so there was no margin for error. Also, my trip meters were in the beginning very out; it seemed as if for every 10k’s that I rode, the trip meter was 1km out. This could be a serious issue. I was not using an ICO but my bikes standard ones and it is not finely configurable to sort this out. But as I rode on they seemed to get more accurate.

Tricky nav section

Rudi and I rode a lot of the stage together and arrived at the pont just behind the front runners. He made some good navigational decisions that saved me a bit of time because I would have taken some turns that I shouldn’t have. It was good to see the guys had been having fun but there was also a seriousness and maybe a little anticipation for what lay ahead. It was also clear that this wasn’t a normal tour type spirit, this was a bit more serious.

Just after the pont, though I headed off first, I stopped to put on my MTB rain jacket, it pissed down just before Heidelberg but the roads were fine to ride, no mud thankfully.

I made a few errors on the liaison and if they were not from just not paying attention, they were mostly a combination of my trips being slightly off, or worse, them being right but me not believing them. In Heidelberg I filled up, put more fluid in my rear brake and had a banana. I had arrived there as the front runners were halfway filled so thought I had a bit of time to do the body and bike maintenance, sadly I also took a small loop around Heidelberg too as a navigation error, all this cost me 20 minutes in total for the stop.

I have been up the Gysmanshoek pass once before and remember having fun up it then. I was now suffering from a bit of anxiousness about losing so much time in Heidelberg. The speed limit up there is 100kph which I don’t think in many places is possible but I was having fun trying. After not riding for so long I was a bit rusty. It was great to get some groove going. There is a joy for me when a corner is ridden as fast as possible. I love charging up to the corner, climbing on to the front hard to just below traction loss to load it up, whilst banging down 2 gears and dragging the rear brake until just before tip in, then using the engine braking to still slow and bring the back around a bit to get the pointing angle right, then keeping the angle with the throttle and counter steering through. Gysmanshoek pass was an orgy of corners that had me wooping.

Going up the pass I saw no dust up ahead but just over the pass I had caught up to 4 of the Rudi gang who had been 15 minutes ahead. I knew I had been flying up there.

I made a good 8 minute blups just off a tar road and then just before Lainsberg I had to take a 8 minutes shit in the bush, (who would have thought the length of time shitting would have become important?)

Some thought has to be given to where a bossie is taken in order to squeeze the most out of the view…

It had been a long day and the race hadn’t even started yet. In total going by my gps tracks, I had covered 447k’s in 6:12 and had lost, including all stops for having a piss, adjusting ear buds and cleaning visors and getting lost, about 36 minutes. I had made up a lot of time trying to keep at the GPS speed limit and had ridden very aggressively in the technical places.

At Laingsburg whilst filling up I posted that the start was a km away, checked everything and then headed off for the start.

My start time was supposed to have been 11.08. I took off at 11:51. I don’t see how the 5:36 minutes was possible, without getting lost or stopping, it would have been a close thing to make the start. I wasn’t that stressed as I knew the leaders where not that much up the road and would have also had a similar penalty as me.

The real Amageza was about to begin.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:05:28 am by Kamanya »

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 06:25:32 pm »
Great stuff  :thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 06:56:50 am »
 :thumleft:
Your RR is the real deal. I can feel it.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 08:05:11 am »
Liaison video. First bit is the corner I nearly screwed up.

Not HD, it wouldn't  upload unless I reduced the resolution, I'll have to try something else later.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JajcwSIcx3I?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JajcwSIcx3I?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Offline J-dog

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 08:57:30 am »
Andrew, you're really fast along those little dirt roads. Was the limit 100 km/h or none on the liaisons?

How long did you have to ride in the dark in the mornings? I am completely night blind!

Offline AntonW

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 10:02:55 am »
Keep it coming, as always a great read.

Do you have a steering damper? I could not see one in you pics.
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 10:30:56 am »
Andrew, you're really fast along those little dirt roads. Was the limit 100 km/h or none on the liaisons?

How long did you have to ride in the dark in the mornings? I am completely night blind!

All liaisons had speed limits. Fastest limit was 120.

It looks dark but it was dawn although there were lots of clouds about.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 10:33:55 am »
Keep it coming, as always a great read.

Do you have a steering damper? I could not see one in you pics.

I don't have one and really don't think they need them.

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 11:23:30 am »
Lekker Andrew! Subscribe
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2013, 10:52:55 pm »
This shows a few things that happened whilst on liaisons.

I have to charge my phone on the bike as the app that tracks me sucks a bit of juice. I purposely didn't wire in the charger to the bike. The roadbooks and another charger for the camera is on one lead and the phone on another. As I am pretty useless on electrics, I didn't think it wise to run two chargers, a roadbook and a gps off the auxiliary plugs. So that is the reason you can see me on occasions hand cranking the roadbook.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5hssISQxQo?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N5hssISQxQo?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Offline Sidpitt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Thumpers Rule!!!
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:58 pm »
Wow!
If you dont like something, change it!
If you cant, change your attitude.
Dont complain!

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 05:26:20 am »
Thank you for the video  :thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught