Do you have a bike that is part of the family??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14578

Pack Dog
Reaction score
My story

In 2008 I thought I would give this dual sport riding thing a go, coming from sportbikes, and riding dirtbikes since I was a wee lad.

My thinking was that the best way to test the water, was to buy the cheapest DS with the biggest displacement I could find. That way, if I did not like it, I could easily swing the bike again....and if I did like it I would sell it on and upgrade to something much newer.

So after shopping around, I ended with a 1996 BMW R1100GS I bought from LouisXander with just over 90k on the clock....we nicknamed her the "Yellow Pig".

I ended up liking the DS stuff, but for some reason never got around to upgrading that butt ugly Yellow Pig.

She has kept her spot in the garage outliving an Aprilia Mille, Fireblade, ZX9, Duc 996, BMW RT, BMW XChallenge... and every time I had to clear a spot, she stayed and the spiffy bike got sold on (she nearly didn't make the cut with the Duc though  ;D).

We are moving, and in the last few weeks I've sold all our dirt bikes, and now are left with the Yellow Pig and a 800GS. The 800 will go up for sale in a week or so, but once again, the weird thing is even though she is beat up, scratched, has high milage, has paint worn right through from tankbags, should probably have the FD rebuilt and did I mention is fugly...I just cannot get it over my heart to sell the YP.....So, even though I rather need the money, I've gone out and has found a place to put her in long term storage, until I can make a plan to come get her.

Yep, So....even though people may smile, and call her a beater bike, the YP has become part of my family's history, and like many faded pictures, will probably stay with us.

Do you have a bike like this, that you really should have sold on a long time ago, but just can't ??

Ode to YP and a few memories:

[flash=640,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/kZrY5TnZW3I[/flash]​