Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Enduro racing Gauteng  (Read 427 times)

Offline wolf skaap

Enduro racing Gauteng
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:04:40 pm »
Hi there,

I've been dual sporting my 450's for a couple of years and it's been great fun.
The sad part is that my friends have now sold their 450's for bigger 650cc class bikes.

One would think that the difference between 450 and 650 is small enough for it not to be an issue but the thing is that I take the most obscure routes to avoid tar and now that their bikes can cruise the slab, they tend to choose it as an easy alternative.
I also used to plan the routes through cliffs and such and the 650's will not be a pleasure to ride there  :-\

So I'm now wondering if I should not sell my CRF450x, get a 250 2T and do some racing instead? I used to ride at places like deWildt and Kwamahlanga but the locals are frowning on the continuous intrusion of the bikes. I can not see myself enjoying a ride at the expense of some local's happiness (if you know what I mean)  So the idea of trailering to deWildt and tossing around in the bush for a day does not appeal to me much.

How do you guys in Gauteng find the enduro racing scene? I am rather capable in the rocks and do not fancy too high speed type tracks.
What sort of races should I be looking at?

Thanks for any advice!
 :ricky:
Let the good times roll!

Offline Tr0jan

• Centurion(Werk) - Zeerust(Plaas)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Kom grondpad, kom!
Re: Enduro racing Gauteng
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »
Howdy and welcome.

The EWXC series is what you are looking for. A bit more techincal than dewild in general.

Usually 5-6 races a year, and close to gauteng.

Have you ridden at Wild West yet?
KTM 990 - Wiff twee pype and loud A-F!

I'm not a hooligan, my throttle grip got stuck! \_(ツ)_/

Binder boeties! Julle maak my dag!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum bud! :thumleft:

Honestly with the increased interest in rallying you should maybe hang onto that bike. I reckon the trend is for people to start doing longer rides on 450 as the development of the Dakar bikes continue.

You might want to ping Koos van der Heever (search members on this forum) who I know does a lot of your kind of riding in your area. It may be worth introducing yourself in the new members section of this forum as well and discussing your question there too, and I'm sure you will still be able to do plenty on your 450, given there are quite few guys on smaller bikes in this forum :ricky:

Cheers

Neil :paw:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:45:05 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:39 pm »
Also have a look at gocracing.com
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »
Howdy and welcome.

The EWXC series is what you are looking for. A bit more techincal than dewild in general.

Usually 5-6 races a year, and close to gauteng.

Have you ridden at Wild West yet?
Thanks!
No I have not.
Let the good times roll!

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:14:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum bud! :thumleft:

Honestly with the increased interest in rallying you should maybe hang onto that bike. I reckon the trend is for people to start doing longer rides on 450 as the development of the Dakar bikes continue.

You might want to ping Koos van der Heever (search members on this forum) who I know does a lot of your kind of riding in your area. It may be worth introducing yourself in the new members section of this forum as well and discussing your question there too, and I'm sure you will still be able to do plenty on your 450, given there are quite few guys on smaller bikes in this forum :ricky:

Cheers

Neil :paw:
Thanks Neil.
I will give Koos a shout!
Let the good times roll!