Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will it be a stupid idea?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Lem

Re: Will it be a stupid idea?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 08:23:54 am »
daai AG175 klink vir my na 'n moerse gesukkel

as jy nog rondkyk kan jy dalk 'n late 70's XT500 optel as 'n fixer-upper. Gaan jou ewe veel satisfaksie gee as jy hom mooigemaak het, en ek glo hulle is meer usable in dag tot dag lewe. 
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 08:27:30 am »
Die groot lokpunt van die AG175 is dat ek hom verniet kan kry.
Born to be Mild

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:51 am »
Nee...die groter lokpunt van die AG is dat vroulief hom sal toe laat om die wel te kry...
sy vroutjie sal nie n ander fixer upper (of enige bike) toelaat nie so hierdie is die voet-in-die-deur om vir Namakwalander op n bike te kry!

Daarsy...nou weet almal nou sal almal net mooi stories praat!

Peanuts man, bietjie spookpis en hy loop weer! DOEN DIT!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:31 am »
m0lt3n, jy is soos daai cartoons waar daar 'n engeltjie op die een skouer en 'n duiweltjie op die ander skouer van watter ook al karakter sit en hom voorse, behalwe dat in jou geval is daar 'n duiweltjie op elke skouer.
Born to be Mild

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 03:02:55 pm »
Lift sorted for the bike. Some people are just awesome.

Might have the bike by next weekend.  :pot:
Born to be Mild

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 03:04:37 pm »
In my experience and reading about the history of your bike, it looks like a lube problem. Those 2 strokes should run problem free for many 1000s kms. We don't know how the rebuild was done but a suggestion when you do the rebuild. Bypass the auto oil feed and mix your own mix when refuelling. This you have control over. We have all done this when we were younger and it is a good way to learn about mixtures. Just remember, the oils you get today may have to be a richer mix with an old bike that you want to restore. Good luck with the rebuild and GO FOR IT. You can only benefit from it. Keep us informed. Nothing wrong with a bit of blue oil smoke coming out of the exhaust.  :thumleft:

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 07:39:29 am »
Lift sorted for the bike. Some people are just awesome.

Might have the bike by next weekend.  :pot:

Oraait, so some people are not so awesome. I still don't have the bike and starting to have second thoughts about fixing it.

The bike stood for about 15 years, but luckily out of the sun and elements. So I am hoping no rust. Problem areas (apart from the seized engine) would be rubbers, rubber seals and carb and tank. So basically everything has to be redone.

I see Yamaha still sells the AG100. So I guess body parts and shocks wont be a problem and will probably get engine parts as well. Now the BIG question: what would parts for this bike cost? Will I be able to fix the bike for under R10k?

Who can I talk to to get quotes on spares like engine rebuilding kit and carb kit etc. ?

Again, like Molten said earlier, my wife does not want me to get another bike if I cant fix this one. So will have to fix this one and maybe teach her to ride on it and only then start negotiating for the second bike.
Born to be Mild

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:20 am »
Hey guys

Don't know if I am actually going mad or if this is only a crazy idea. My FIL has an old Yamaha AG175 (looks like pre 1979) on the farm which probably has not moved for the last 10 years or so. Luckily it is standing in a garage. So was kept away from the elements in this time.

I was thinking to ask my FIL if I can "save" this bike and fix it up for myself to use as a commuter. I know this thing is very slow being a farm bike and all, but this will be my first bike (plus I do less than 20km a day). So might be good to learn on. Obviously I will first find out why the bike has been standing for so long before I commit. Also still unsure of parts availability and cost. Just know that the AG175 apparently have a few parts in common with a CT3.

So I was thinking this can probably cost me over R10k to fix, but in the process I will have the joy of learning something new and in the end a "classic" bike that I fixed up myself.

The other option is boring and predictable. This would be to just buy a second hand xr125 or similar and just use that.

So opinions please and advice.

(bike is similar to the on in the attached picture)

Sounds like the bike is totally poked and may end up costing you a lot to fix. Rather get a Chinese scooter for R5k  :deal:

Offline lecap

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 07:55:23 am »
Hey guys

Don't know if I am actually going mad or if this is only a crazy idea. My FIL has an old Yamaha AG175 (looks like pre 1979) on the farm which probably has not moved for the last 10 years or so. Luckily it is standing in a garage. So was kept away from the elements in this time.

I was thinking to ask my FIL if I can "save" this bike and fix it up for myself to use as a commuter. I know this thing is very slow being a farm bike and all, but this will be my first bike (plus I do less than 20km a day). So might be good to learn on. Obviously I will first find out why the bike has been standing for so long before I commit. Also still unsure of parts availability and cost. Just know that the AG175 apparently have a few parts in common with a CT3.

So I was thinking this can probably cost me over R10k to fix, but in the process I will have the joy of learning something new and in the end a "classic" bike that I fixed up myself.

The other option is boring and predictable. This would be to just buy a second hand xr125 or similar and just use that.

Sounds like the bike is totally poked and may end up costing you a lot to fix. Rather get a Chinese scooter for R5k  Honda XR125L:deal:

I can assure you there is not many boring and predictable things on an XR125L.

Unless you find it boring that it will not cost you more than what the bike is actually worth. IMHO it's rather the other way around.
And the only predictable thing might be that you actually make it to your destination without breaking down.

Get the old bike as a project to tinker with if you feel like it and if you have time and money to waste. Get an old project bike besides having a good running bike in the garage but do NOT buy a project as your first bike as this might lead to frustration, financial loss and possibly even a strained relationship with your partner.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 11:25:38 am »
Hey guys

Sounds like the bike is totally poked and may end up costing you a lot to fix. Rather get a Chinese scooter for R5k  Honda XR125L:deal:

I can assure you there is not many boring and predictable things on an XR125L.

Unless you find it boring that it will not cost you more than what the bike is actually worth. IMHO it's rather the other way around.
And the only predictable thing might be that you actually make it to your destination without breaking down.

Get the old bike as a project to tinker with if you feel like it and if you have time and money to waste. Get an old project bike besides having a good running bike in the garage but do NOT buy a project as your first bike as this might lead to frustration, financial loss and possibly even a strained relationship with your partner.

:thumleft:

but the price of the 125?

Offline Airguitar

• The bald and the beautiful
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:08 pm »
What LeCap said...
1988 XR600R, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Volvo XC90. Yes I drive a Volvo. No, I don't care what you think.

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 09:08:22 pm »
Go on! fix it! ride it!
Hell it will keep you out of mischief, and there the 1st  general rule of mechinics: - when working on a bike you have to drink Beer?
rehydration and all that
enjoy
DS
Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:26 pm »
Die groot lokpunt van die AG175 is dat ek hom verniet kan kry.

Manakwalanner, please think this project through properly, from your posts I gather that you have very limited technical knowledge and ability?
It could easily happen that you break somethingirreplaceble on this classic little motorcycle, unless you are willing to really take care and learn and ask
advise, perhaps passing it on to someone who knows these bikes could be a better idea?
To restore this bike will be a short-term loss.
To try and just get it going for everyday transport could leave it unreliable, which will leave you frustrated, and telling people what rubbish 2strokes are. :pot:

Buy a 2nd hand Kymco scooter for around R8000.

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 08:20:47 am »
More mense

@2StrokeDan
I actually know my way around a garage and have rebuilt 'n lawnmower and done a lot of maintenance on my Astra and POS Nissan 1400. I am just new to motorbikes and two strokes. I strongly believe that I can get the bike going if I can also get my hands on a good workshop manual. I will do my research before I start with any work.

I know it will cost a bit of money to get it running as it should, but that is why I am asking for advice before I just start trowing money at it.

So I need someone to tell me what parts costs will be like and where I can get quotes from and what I will need to sort out first on the bike (received a pm earlier and will phone that number, thanks). Once I have all that information I can decide if I am willing to take the knock or walk away.

Thanks for all the replies so far. :thumleft:
Born to be Mild

Offline IndianaJones

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 08:24:32 am »
For more advice on the AG175, call Gerald on 072 884 4456, he knows 2 stroke Yamaha's(CT, DT, IT, etc) very well.