Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kasane to Maun  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Brianmac1

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Kasane to Maun
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »
Anyone know if it is possible to drive through Chobe national Park on a bikes
Looking to get from Chobe to Maun but dont want to go via Nata (or on tar)
Willing to stay somethere overnight in chobe

Online met eish

Re: Kasane to Maun
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:15 am »
Not a chance  :o Anyway with a big bike through that sand will be a huge challenge.
Yamaha 450 WR
Vespa 250 ie
Suzuki 500 Kwat

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:16:55 am »
As far as I know bikes are allowed through Chobe, but only along the tar road from the Nam border to Kasane.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »
You'll be lion - food before you get to third bridge!...... not sure that the authorities will allow bike on this route... besides... the sand monster will get you and you'll be totally exhausted (if) when you get to Maun!
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Online Xpat

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »
You can get from Kasane to Maun off tar, but not via National Parks like Chobe. You can take so called cutlines (fire breaks as far as I can tell) along the eastern border of chobe or connect to the 19th parallel cutline, which goes directly west from the tar south of Pandamatenga to the Mababe gate at the southern border to Chobe. Also there is another east west cutline about 30 - 40 km south from the 19th parallel which connect to the dirt road on the Moremi boundary about 20 km south of Mababe village. I have done that one in December solo on Husky 630, but solo it quite a bit pushing it - there is none there for 200 km straight, but shiploads of elephants and other big 5 - I have flashed out two lioneses on the Chobe boundary, but luckily they run away. It is basically equivalent of going through Chobe, but without benefit of anybody being there.

Here is more info I have posted on other thread (I'm preparing ride report, but it will take some time): http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=140300.20

Offline StellaB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:06:57 pm »
We have just returned from a trip to Botswana, and travelled from Maun to Shakawe, and then from Shakawe via the dirtroad to Divundu (across the Namibian border), into the Caprivi Strip to Katima and from Katima to Kasane (opposite route as your travel). From Kasane we travelled to Nata.
Even though we did pass through the Chobe National Park, we only did this on the tar road from the Namibian/Botswana Border (Ngoma Gate) to Kasane.
Do read our Blog regarding our trip through Botswana and Namibia for some information: http://beyondbordersandboundaries.wordpress.com

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:33 pm »
I really like your blog!  :thumleft:
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.