Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice for new rider  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
Re: Advice for new rider
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 08:54:46 am »
In that price range, simple.....KLR, XRL or DR 650 - all very versatile,very reliable and tick all your requirements!!

If R50k is your budget you should easily be able to get one of the above. I would suggest that you keep some money in reserve for the kit you will be buying at the same time. Decent jacket, gloves, helmet and later boots and pants. Then you will want to personalise your bike with certain farkles. It doesnt stop but some things are more important than others.

Spend lots of time on the forum and ask questions. The answers are here even if the question hasnt been asked.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 03:55:32 am »
Have a look at: BMW 650 gs, Honda Trans Alp, 650 KLR, all good commuters and distance bikes. BMW also have a very active club. Service and spares are available on all the above.
Consider the overall condition, mileage etc. Try and buy from a dealer if possible who will give you a good 3 or 6 month guarantee, read that part of the deal properly. :)
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 07:17:25 am »
Hi Franky welcome to the forum. :thumleft:

I agree with Dirty Boy, buy a bike for around R40k and save the rest for ATGATT , all the gear all the time . You must have decent boots when you commute that must cover your ankles and be sturdy . Wear knee guards at all times ,even going to the shops , as feet and knees are the biggest casualties in accidents . For off-road you should get proper off-road boots and they costs a few thousand . Good helmet , jacket , gloves also essential. Camera and money left for bike trips and insure the bike before you ride it the first time .

Some bikes also need to be upgraded before they are user -friendly. The Kawasaki KLR and Honda XRL both need about R10K upgrades , although you don't have to do all of them. So if you buy from a shop you would still have to do the upgrades .

If you buy from someone well -known on this forum , you could get one of these that are already upgraded. The XRL is not so nice on tar , so I would go for the KLR. It is a lovely commuting bike as it is comfortable and yet you could also use it very easily off -road. I got mine , already upgraded , from someone in Johannesburg. I love mine. The brakes are not that great , but then I have a problem with my right hand and the accelerator . For a first timer the brakes should be more than adequate. Go look under the bike specific part of the forum and ask questions there . I would stay away from gumtree , unless you know what you are doing , too much fraud .

I don't know enough about the DR , but you can speak to Le Cap about those , they are apparently also very able.  The BMW will be more expensive and I don't think the 650 is so nice to use off-road . The BMW 800 is great , but expensive , and the parts are expensive too, so maybe not so good for first time user. The KLR is all you need . :biggrin:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 07:37:34 am »
Budget for bike
Budget for ATGATT

xxxx Honda 650 TransAlp
xx    Honda 650 XRL
xxx   Suzuki 650 VStrom
xx     Suzuki DR650
xxxx  Yamaha XT660R
xxxx BMW 650 Dakar
xxx   Kawasaki KLR650

Have fun.... :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 08:35:22 am »
Thank you every body. Im glad I didnt fall into the ''start with a small bike" trap. I knew that I will have to spend some money on gear. I beleive in wearing the right gear. I just want to ask rynet, What is the upgrades you are talking about to make the bike user friendly?

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 08:39:45 am »
The Suzuki DR 650 is now being sold out/discontinued at around R52K, new...!
So financing would be easy, I would not normally recommend a new bike for starting out, but this time it may have merit...
(underrated, lightweight , carbureted 650). Good value for money.

650 class probably ideal for you.
Invest in good protective gear, it IS necessary.
Feet and ankle protection is very important....
There is PLENTY of GOOD 2nd hand gear out there, you do not have to buy new.
Doing an intro course is one of the best investments you can make.
Oh, and:

Doing an intro course is one of the best investments you can make.

Welcome, enjoy, and be safe
Chris
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:42:35 am by zebra »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 01:28:40 pm »
Thank you every body. Im glad I didnt fall into the ''start with a small bike" trap. I knew that I will have to spend some money on gear. I beleive in wearing the right gear. I just want to ask rynet, What is the upgrades you are talking about to make the bike user friendly?

When I bought my KLR from someone on the forum, it had these extras already on, which saved me money and time :

"Extras on the bike includes:
1) SW Motech crashbars
2) SW Motech bashplate
3) SW Motech centre stand
4) HID High beam
5) RaceTech back suspension spring upgrade (Stiffer Spring)
6) Front fork spring upgrade (Stiffer Spring)
7) Zeta hand guards
8)Cool PowerFlo Exhaust
9) Raising Links for more Ground Clearance (Still have the originals)
10) 12V power socket (Lighter en Hella)
11) Handle bar risers.
12) LED rear turn indicators.
13) wide offroad footpegs
14) Front fork brace"

I took nr 8 and 14 off as it made the bike handle badly . I added a suspension upgrade at Martin Petzold in Milnerton, who put in another shock in the front on top of the other one to make it better off and on road and not nosedive . And he put braided brake hose on for me . And I think that's it. O yes , the Doohicky had been done already . Don't ask me what it is , but it has to be done . :imaposer:

Not all of the above is necessary , I think the Doohicky is, but the rest I think not . Nice , but you can ride without it , I think. With the XRL you can see on that board what the guys do .

Sent you a pm as well . :thumleft: