Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Already on the road for more than 3 years and still continuing.  (Read 632 times)

Offline Richard-NL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • From cape to cape and further
Hello motorbike lovers,

I'm Richard from Holland and on the road for more than 3 years now and this took me from the Netherlands to the most northern point of Norway through East-Europe, Middle-East, North-Africa, West-Africa and now exploring South-Africa. I will not stop here, but I've met so many people who told me that I need at least three months to explore there country.
I entered South-Africa on  the 10th of May and had already many great expirences that I decided to keep you guys up to date with my adventures in South Africa and beyond.

If you like to read my experiences so far I would like to invite you to visit my website www.realizeddream.com. I'm a bit behind but that will be solved soon since I only have to dubble check the text.

hope to meet lots of you guys during my trip in South-Africa.

Cheers Richard

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
Re: Already on the road for more than 3 years and still continuing.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:39:08 pm »
Will do and good luck
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline EwaldSchmidt

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
    • The Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »
Hi Richard, welcome to South Africa, I hope you have a great time here!
"It's not about the Bike", Lance Armstrong said... Yeah right!
BMW R 1150 GS, BMW R 850 R (sold), Aprilia Pegaso 650 (sold)
Honda CB 750 F (sold) Honda CB 400 N (sold)

Offline Richard-NL

Entering South-Africa at Noordoever.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:45:11 am »
On the 10th of May I left Namibia in the early morning. Completely convinced is was zondag I was taking of towards the border-crossing 'Noordoever'. I always prefere to cross border on a sunday, partly because it's quiet and because most of the offices are closed if the border officials like to check out things. In my case I don't carry a 'Carnet de Passage' with me on my trip through Africa.

Arriving at the border shows a completely new and unexpexted situatuon. I had overstayed my visa with two days. I played bumb offcourse, partly because I stopped checking visas since Angola and also I really didn't know. Lucky me the border officials where all women and so I used my Dutch charm to talk my self out of it. With some warnings that I have to check the next time beter I was allowed to leave. That easy !!!!

Entering South-Africa was real easy, a paperslip a the entrance a stamp at the first desk, the second one waved me through (customs) and the third one was not even bothered to look up. 5 minutes and I was a the final gate and after another chat with three female border officials they let me in with many blessings and safe kilomters.

The first kilometers in South-Africa are aparentely the most boring ones and so I drive strait to Sprinkbok where I pitch up my tent at the caravan park just south of town. Only here I figure out that it's saterday and not sunday so I have lived ahead in time. I got some groceries to make my self something to eat and it becomes really cold at night. Luckly I have a mattress with duck dons and a sleepingbag with duck dons, so I don't get cold at night. The hard thing is waking up in the morning and make a coffee and waiting for the tent to dry before packing. With another day of tar ahead I'm heading towards the Augrabies falls to have a look at those amazing falls. The water isn't that high but the sun set is stunning anayway with amazing colors.

Here at Augrabies I met a couple from Stellenbosch and after a nice chat we talk about the bike and that I need a new front tyre. This is wherr the Wild Dogs are coming in and they help me find a place in Upington. The next morning I head towards Upington and find High-Q where Nick helps me with a new front tyre.  I also arrange a simcard for my phone in town and then I'm ready to hit the road again and this time more gravel. Nick had showed me some nice roads that would lead me to 'Verneuk pan'.

The road I s stunning and great to ride, here I realise how much I haved missed the gravel for the last few days. The closer I come to 'Verneuk pan' the lesser the roads become but I still enjoy it. I have to stop 8 times.to open and close gates on the way but in the end I make it just before 5 pm to reach the farm. Usually tourists camp at the pan self but the people offered me there guestroom since I would be the only one in the pan. After two weeks sleeping in my tent I accepted the offer without hesitation and with another braai I jad a nice eveing with the old folks at the farm. I slept that night like a baby in a fantastic bed and with a home made breakfast and two cups of coffee I was ready to take of to the south.

See you in the next update

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:40:53 pm by Richard-NL »

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:47:39 am »
So if you coming past Addo.
Pull in here!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Eks nie so n groot drol nie  :lol8:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Karoo Rider

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:14:33 am »
Welcome Richard!  Hope you enjoy your stay - hopelik sal jy hier in Suid-Afrika vinnig leer Afrikaans praat aangesien jy van Holland afkomstig is!

Veilig ry - Ride safely

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:29:34 am »
Here is a bed in Pretoria for you if you wish to stay over

Offline Man from Nam

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »
 :sip:
Welcome and sorry we missed you in Namibia
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline Richard-NL

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 05:54:48 pm »
Back on the road I head south towards the coast but not planning to do it in one day. Again as much as possible gravel roads and I love it. I seem to be the only one on the road and when I reach the little place of Lexton I stop to drink a cup of coffee at the roundabout in the middle of town. Here I met a lovely African young lady  :o and have a nice chat with here. Unfortunately there is no place open in the evening to ask here out for a drink and therefor I head on again. After a great day of riding I drive the first of the many passes in SA, Molteno pass, end up at Beaufort-West and meet there another young women. Oh now there is a place to drink beer that night and she invite me to join here with the braai. Can't say no to that !!!!!
While eating and drinking the conversation is partly about traveling on the bike and girl likes to buy a bike one day and travel through SA as well. I tell here about this great forum and hope she will find all the answers she is looking for.
After a couple of beers we call it a night and than there is another day finished on Africa soul. I leave the place early and have to ride first 80 km's on tar before I take of towards Prince Albert. (weird name because I have a certain image about a prince Albert.) After a short break I continue towards Oudtshoorn and hit another pass. I find a nice hostel in Oudtshoorn and decide to stay there a while. The next day I hit the BMW-dealer in George because an error message in the bike. I turns out that the battery of my alarmsystem is to low and since the guys at the workshop are very busy I change them myself. I'm allowed to use there tools and the even help me by telling what I have to do. After an hour problem fixed !!!!!
Another problem is that the battery of the bike is also bad but will check that later. The next couple days I ride around George and Oudtshoorn and ride some nice passes. Robbinson- and Montagu pass. After three days I head towards the goal of my long term trip, Cape L'Agulhas.

After 3 years, 2 weeks, 1 month and 75050km I made it from the Netherlands all the way up to Norway and down to South Africa. :imaposer:

I take some nice pictures and decide to stay two nights here to celebrate. I buy myself a nice dinner at the restaurant and some beers !!!!!!

When I was in Augrabies I met Evert en Marisa and they had invited me to give them a call if I would be around and so I make the arrangement to show up at there place the next day. It was a nice meeting and we decide to go out for dinner at a Thai restaurant and after some wine and beers we head back to there place where I will stay for the night. The next morning after an breakfast I head out to do some shopping, like changing the battery and find some new camping equipment. Back at Evert and Marisa's place we get ourself ready to have dinner at the local flight club and the nearby airport. We meet up with many friends of them and have a great evening with more wild dog members and exchange many stories about motors and biking. After two nights at Evert and Marisa's place I heading of towards Cape-Town where I will meat up with someone I have met in Namibia, but first I have a look and a ride near the Table mountain.

Later the day I met Liza again and we have a nice evening and she invite me to stay as long as I want. Here place is in the middle of a renovation but still it's nice to be around. I offer here to help here with the kitchen an d I end up staying for 7 days and after that here kitchen is ready to use again. Liza is very happy that finally after 3 months she can prepare a decent meal in here own kitchen again. As a thanks she buy me some warm clothes I can wear during my stay in cold SA.

I have decided to head towards Durban to catch up with warmer weather.....all about that in my next update.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:00:18 pm by Richard-NL »

Offline dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
fantastic
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline Hermit

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • If there is no dust, I'm on the wrong road ...
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:39 pm »
Hi Richard. Hope you enjoy your ride through South Africa.  :thumleft:  I would love to have a chat with you  :occasion14:  I will see which way you plan to ride and maybe we cross paths. Don't miss the Wild Coast, some good places to visit there !!!
 :cya:
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known,
Like a "drifter" I was born to "ride" alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time = Whitesnake

Offline Richard-NL

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:15 am »
Heading east,

After I nice sleepy night in paradise hostel I took of around 10.00 still cold but the sun was doing it's best to get it warmer. Heading towards George I took the n9 towards Uniondale to be able to take the Prince Alfred pass. While the n9 itself may be a bit borring the surrounding are great and I did stop many times to take pictures.  After a coffee I continued and hit the Prince Alfred Pass a stoning ride and exactly what I like. Halfway I hit some roadworks and here I met Harold, an old bloke on a ktm who lives there. He invite me for a coffeeand have a great time at his place at the pass. Harold and Angie (his wife) gave me some good tipsand advice me to stay the night at Rocky road near nature valley.  When I continue the pass the rain is coming closer and closer.  I speed up a bit but still stop a couple times to take pictures and finally make it to Rocky Road backpacker's  just before the rain starts. The weather forecast says that the rain will continue for about a day and I decide to stay for two nights. In the morning I have the greatest shower ever with live view of the grenery and plan to do some riding in the surrounding area. On Friday I hope to continue to port Elizabeth and from there on to Durban. Would nice to meet up with some of you guys.

Offline Richard-NL

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:21 pm »
Hey guys,

If any of you rides a gs1200 with sidecar I would like to chat with you since I'm consider to ad a sidecar to my bike. I saw one today again but didn't get hold of him. I'm in natural valley and head towards Elizabeth tomorrow and after that to Durban.

Thanks in advanced.

• Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:55:05 pm »
Hey guys,

If any of you rides a gs1200 with sidecar I would like to chat with you since I'm consider to ad a sidecar to my bike. I saw one today again but didn't get hold of him. I'm in natural valley and head towards Elizabeth tomorrow and after that to Durban.

Thanks in advanced.

Come past here in ADDO

Are you staying at Wild Spirit?
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline Richard-NL

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:23 pm »
Hey Turd,

Stay at Rocky Road !!

Offline frans1

• Lewe elke dag voluit!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:00 pm »
Hi  Safe trip and can't wait to read the rest.
BMW 1200GSA (What a Machine!!!)
BMW R100RS (Busy with the repairs)
BMW 1200GS (Love the bike)
WR 450 Yamaha (Sold)
Yamaha 500 XT (Sold) Yamaha 175 DT (Sold) Honda 90 cc (Gave it away)

• Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:39 pm »
Hey Turd,

Stay at Rocky Road !!

Remember to tell Rocky that he is yet to beat me at a game of Bulle
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »
HELLO Kaaskop Welkom in Zuid Afrika  :ricky:
 gan loer hier na die Side car fred

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=207.0
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline Richard-NL

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 06:54:10 pm »
By deciding to stay two nights I have the opportunity to ride a bit in the surroundings. Rocky tells me to visit nature valley and that's what I do. Arriving there it turns out the roads are flooded because of the heavy rainfall last night. But what......it's tar anyway. So I continue and blub blub blub....... water in the airintake dammed ??? Haha it's a bit deeper than expected and when I put my feet on the road I feel my boats turning into waterbottles.  Haha this is the first time in 75000km that the engine cuts while it shouldn't.  Luckily the motot start as soon as I reach higher ground. Ifind a place to change my boats for my hiking shoe's and dry shoes. But not complaining I continue to ride the Bloukrans pass. The sign says it's clossed but no way that J.Lo (the name of my gs) doesn't try it and there we go. Great ride and devently a must to do. Later I drink a coffee at stormriver and head back to the hostel. Next day of to Jeffrey bay whereI stay at aAfrican Ubuntu. Two days of relaxing and enjoying the beach and a great staff at the hostel. I finall got time to update my website www.realizeddream.com till Angola. PE is the next step where I want to get my TIP sorted out. Unfortunately te SARS can't help me in satisfactory way and they advice to leave the country my a land border andthen come back in again with a TIP. In the mmeanwhile there has another situation appeared, an oil leak. I'm in East-London now and will see tomorrow if there is a lot of oil leaked if I have to go back to PE. As the weather helps I like to go to Losito for the border crossing and if that's not enough I have to go to one of the neighbour countries.