Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Washing a GS ?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Varkboer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Balls to the walls
Re: Washing a GS ?
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 05:09:39 am »
I think it is relatively easy to wash the bike with all sorts of soaps and methods and all.

BUT, I have a real problem with the screen - it is only 4 months old but already full of scratches. I really tried right from the outset to wash it with a clean chamois that I bought and used only on the screen. I used dirtnurse, let it stand for few minutes then sprayed with water, and then wiped off with the chamois. To no avail !!! >:(

So, how do you clean this bloody screen without scratching it? I have made peace now with the scratches.

Draadwerk

Ek hetr nou die dag vir my n headlight repair kit  gekoop by Midas dit bestaan uit n polish verskillende (grofhede )??? skuurpapier en so een of 2 ander moeties met instruktions. Het nou die dag my gs se flicker ligte en briek lig gedoen maak n moerse verskil. Ek wil dit die week op my screen probeeer sal julle laat weet. Daai kit kry jy ook by die ander spares plekk soos Autozone ens.
Baai Geeles

Offline silvrav

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:39 am »
I think it is relatively easy to wash the bike with all sorts of soaps and methods and all.

BUT, I have a real problem with the screen - it is only 4 months old but already full of scratches. I really tried right from the outset to wash it with a clean chamois that I bought and used only on the screen. I used dirtnurse, let it stand for few minutes then sprayed with water, and then wiped off with the chamois. To no avail !!! >:(

So, how do you clean this bloody screen without scratching it? I have made peace now with the scratches.

Draadwerk

Ek hetr nou die dag vir my n headlight repair kit  gekoop by Midas dit bestaan uit n polish verskillende (grofhede )??? skuurpapier en so een of 2 ander moeties met instruktions. Het nou die dag my gs se flicker ligte en briek lig gedoen maak n moerse verskil. Ek wil dit die week op my screen probeeer sal julle laat weet. Daai kit kry jy ook by die ander spares plekk soos Autozone ens.

Laat ons asb weet...my GS screen begin ook lyk of dit oor teer gesleep was.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:53 am »
@ Draadwerk re the screen - ja, I NEVER just take a damp cloth and wipe it, I always make sure there is at least a bit of water running over it as I wipe it. Sometimes ( I commute daily ) if I just want to wash off very 'light' dirt I will take a micro-fibre cloth and make it totally saturated in water ( water running out of it ) and wipe the screen VERY gently.

And ja....keep Prepsol away from the screen!  :deal:

I go mad with that Shield Sheen stuff....spray it almost everywhere on the bike....all the rubber hoses, pipes, elect connectors etc etc etc look soooo lekka! Granted, it does attract dust but so what, it protects the stuff, and I will wash it after a off-road ride anyway....eventually  ::)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 10:16:48 am »
Well, my screen is cracking and hopefully the stealers will replace under warranty, so I will have a 2nd chance to follow all the valuable advice given here

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 10:26:27 am »
Hallo Draad. Waar kraak jou screen?

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:21 am »
Well, my screen is cracking and hopefully the stealers will replace under warranty, so I will have a 2nd chance to follow all the valuable advice given here

For starters, never wipe the screen, it will scratch even when it looks clean.

I soak a microfiber cloth in very hot tap water and mild detergent and place this on the screen. After 5 mins I remove the cloth and rinse the screen with a garden hose. If any dirt or bugs remain I repeat the process until clean. I then dry the screen carefully with a fresh microfiber cloth.

My cloths are marked and never used for anything else. After each use, they are machine washed, dried and packed away for next weekend.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
Washing a GS ?
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2014, 11:00:29 am »

Hey Jan. Hy kraak om al 4 die skroefies wat die brackets aan die screen vasmaak. Blykbaar 'n erkende foutjie

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:33 am »

Hey Jan. Hy kraak om al 4 die skroefies wat die brackets aan die screen vasmaak. Blykbaar 'n erkende foutjie

Ai tog, hoop daar is 'n quick fix

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:23 am »

Ai tog, hoop daar is 'n quick fix

Nee - nuwe skerm, dis al ! Paar ouens op die ander forums oorsee wat ook dieselfde probleem gehad het al. En ek weet van ten minste een ander ou hier op ons eie forum wat NOU dieselfde probleem het en wag vir waarborg eis om te kyk of hulle gaan vervang of wat

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 11:20:49 am »
Wash with Prepsol and then car shampoo. No Power wash.
Dry the bike and then spray liberal amounts of cheap dash spray (a big can from Checkers, cant remember the name but cheap)
Its probably mostly silicone but the main thing is that it protects against rust especially in those hard to reach places. It also smells nice  :biggrin:

When the engine has a fine coat of dust on it, its easy to spot any oil weeping from seals etc,

Offline JacoM

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:27 pm »
Ek gebruik Prepsol teen 50% sterkte.
Belangrikste implement is egter die plastiek tipe handborsel (dink skoppie en borsel tipe). Jy kry een wat vir teel skoonvee gemaak is. Vol plastiek. Hy werk goed om die air cool vinne, enjine, en alles baie vinnig skoon te kry. Werk goed oraloor op GS'e  - die goed het mos nie olie lekke en kettings  wat jou borsel bevuil....

Dan spoel ek hom met Hot Wax sjampoo, ook met die borsel. Ek hou van die bietjie wax wat agterbly om te smeer waar ek nie kan bykom, en volgende skoonmaak makliker te maak - ek hou nie van sukkel en spandeer seker so 20minute om te was en af tedroog.
O ja - gaan ry hom droog na elke was.

Offline JJBotes

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 11:17:58 pm »
Ok, so today it was time to wash my bike. Thank you , results were much better than my previous attempts.

First I spent some time on "2 spoor paadjies".

Then I went home and left the bike to cool down.

Washing the Bike
1.Plug air intake and exhaust
2.Hose down the bike
3.Spry the lower areas of the bike with 50/50 Prepsol
(did not wait)
4.Hose down and wash bike with "car shampoo"
5.Brush engine and frame with soft brush.
6.Hose down
7.Dry with chamois
8.Idle bike and take a break.

After this I sprayed the right side of the bike with Mr.Min and the left with a "Dash/Silicon Spray" that supposedly has anti-static properties.

This was done to compare the findings at the next wash. But what I immediately noticed , and this might just be because i did it wrong , was that when wiping off the Mr.Min , it leaves uneven lines. Wipe it again and the direction of the lines simply changes. The Dash spry on the other hand gave everything a much more deeper and even shine, BUT this stuff is thick and oily , I can only imagine how much dust it will attract if you don't wipe it off enough times. I wiped it at least 5 times and I think Ill wipe it again tomorrow before I go out for a ride.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:19:35 pm by JJBotes »

Offline Noneking

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2014, 05:42:04 am »

I soak a big rag in the soapy hot water and cover screen with the rag - keep it there while I wash the rest of the bike. Make sure that I pour some of the hot soap water over it every few minutes to soften up all the insects etc. After rest of bike is completed, I wash screen with micro fibre cloth. Not a scratch after just over a year.....

PS: GTL screen, not GS
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:43:22 am by Noneking »
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »
Like so
Time for an Adventure

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
On my XR which sees mainly dirt the following is essential:
 - MucOff which is paint/sticker etc friendly and non-corrosive
 - Karcher pressure cleaner as no way you can your fingers into all the tight spots (a MUST)
 - Cockpit spray or something similar to shine eveything once sparkling clean, I fnd the static does not attract as must dust as you would think but allows easy removal of mud/ dirt/grime nesxt time you wash.......

Otherwise just some elbow grease and bike looks shiny n new :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »
Well I don't know about a GS but this is how we wash our V Stroms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvG4yY_h7pM

if its really dirty then we do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48mMRTT3FWM

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »
But it is only necessary to wash a v strom after a trip like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTIbA4InY0