Considering a 800XC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiLR650

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi Guys,

I am currently the proud owner of a KLR, very capable bike and I really enjoy it, but I'm having a hard time keeping up with my friends on their 800GS's when we hit the tarmac so I'm considering a upgrade. Another reason is the missus really enjoy riding with me and the KLR is not ideal for two up.

The 800GS is a brilliant bike, I've ridden it as well as the 2014 1200 GS (not to buy, just because >:D )but the GS's are quite expensive and I'm sure I don't need all it's wonderful electronic wizardry, so the obvious choice for me was to go checkout the 800XC and so I did today.

Super smooth bike, clean power delivery, beautiful sound and feels like a superbike on the tarmac which I enjoy, but unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to take it on the dirt as it is a demo and I had limited time. The bike also had slicks on, however I am going to try and get the bike from the dealership for a weekend to test it off road.

I would appreciate anyone's advice on the forum if the Triumph is a good or logical choice for me to go for, so I need to know what is it's downfalls? I heard the throttle is a bit nervous when doing technical sections, but the dealership told me this is adjustable.

How does the bike fair with the technical bits in general?

On the other hand I'm also contemplating keeping the KLR and doing a 685 or 705 mod on it to get a bit more grunt, but I feel that I must respoect the KLR for what it is and isn't, and it isn't a fast bike.