Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: “Look What You’re Missing" - Series 2 starts this Saturday  (Read 25031 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Warren just go for it and don't stop. Surround yourself with positive people, there are no time and place for negative and narrow minded people.

Hou ons op hoogte met wanneer die reeks begin.

My objection had nothing to do with either narrow-mindedness, or negativity. It had to do with the influencing of riders' decisions by the giant force of modern advertising
departments. I have been riding all my adult life, since the early 70's, D/S , superbikes, trials, MX, Enduro, flattracking, Aussie sidecars and roadracing, motorcycles are to
me as part of life as anything non-essential as food,etc can ever be.
It galls me to see how something potentially beautiful like 2 close friends traversing the world on bikes[BMW or otherwise] , can be hi-jacked by a huge corporation,
and shaped and moulded like a drama to achieve only one thing; maximum sales of their product.
It is unfortunately the same 1st impression I got when I watched the OP's teaser, where the presenter even sit and talk from the bike's saddle with the viewer having to stare into a brand badge. The advertising was blatantly obvious.
How you could have missed it is astounding.
Anyway, I have undertaken to watch the program, and comment afterwards.

1. Branding is part of life. Better live in the Negev to avoid it. Or perhaps North Korea?
2. Branding helps things get paid for and done. You wouldn't see our two mates enriching other's lives without it.
3. Without BMW motorbikes, the world would be much poorer for it in several senses
4. TV series don't sell without drama, especially something as evocative as riding in the out-country. The drama is part of the sport as well.
5.  I can't add to this now  8)

Warren boet - I love it! - my friend and I did some work with M-net to do a similar show a few years back. If you'd like to chat about concepts feel free to PM me. We had some awesome ideas to inject a bit more humour and action into the romance of off-road riding.  :thumleft:

I am not disputing that this is how the modern, throwaway world operates, I stated that I have a great dislike in it.
You also miss out on the fact that the branding we see on today's scale, is a new thing. Yet before it, did we live in North Korea?? Where is this example from?? ::)

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
I did because I really get irretated with your negative slant on everthing even remotely associated with someone riding a BMW

Warren, from what I saw it looks to be a well put together effort, no doubt Trevor played some part
in this😉
I look forward to seeing it aired

Pay little attention to the comments from 2SD

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
I did because I really get irretated with your negative slant on everthing even remotely associated with someone riding a BMW

Warren, from what I saw it looks to be a well put together effort, no doubt Trevor played some part
in this😉

I am sure they will pay little attention to my remarks, were you scared they may now shelve the program? I am also sure they are man enough to actually send me up
the creek themselves, SHOULD they have wished to do so.

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive

in this😉

I am sure they will pay little attention to my remarks, were you scared they may now shelve the program? I am also sure they are man enough to actually send me up
Times like these, 2SD, you really need to take a break. You know, time out a bit. Chill, ride out to a place where you can spend a few days in solitary contemplation, and sit staring out over the vlaktes.

Then, ask yourself, "Am I a twatwaffle?".

Offline MiniDan

Hi Warren,

Good on you okes for trying to introduce what is in your eyes something different. Really hope that it is a massive success.

Just a few questions relating to the show;

1. What will be you main focus? Exploration, riding, history, or a combo?
2. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how would you rate the riding capability of you and your crew? I ask, because if I'm to learn anything about riding, I want to at least know these okes can ride.
3. Finally, if you need any assistance or help when you in the Mossel Bay area, please feel free to stop by or contact me. I'm an intermediate rider, but super keen to become part of the DS world.

Best of luck...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

in this😉

Times like these, 2SD, you really need to take a break. You know, time out a bit. Chill, ride out to a place where you can spend a few days in solitary contemplation, and sit staring out over the vlaktes.

Then, ask yourself, "Am I a twatwaffle?".

OomD, I would fully expect the two of you, namely yourself and Bennevis, being te ones taking it upon yourself to defend the brand you are so besotted with. But think clearly for a minute, and tell me it would be allright for say Yamaha, or Toyota to air something on national TV that is quite blatantly advertising? Is this program really about the
riding, or is it about the viewer becoming aware of which brand is used?
If you are honest about this, you would have noticed that the brand logo features too much for comfort. This has advertising in mind, and I know that it may be sound
business practise, as the same brand may lend support for this if success is tasted.
This however,does not sit well with me, yet most do not mind, in fact in today's world of huge advertising, most viewers would probably only register this advertising
on a sub-conscious level. They would not even fully realize that they are being less than subtly manipulated to align with a specific marque.
For the same reason it is illegal to have "flashing" ads in cinemas, this more blatant form is also wrong. Unless you state it to be an advert.

Offline Warren Ellwood

Hi Warren,

Good on you okes for trying to introduce what is in your eyes something different. Really hope that it is a massive success.

Just a few questions relating to the show;

1. What will be you main focus? Exploration, riding, history, or a combo?
2. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how would you rate the riding capability of you and your crew? I ask, because if I'm to learn anything about riding, I want to at least know these okes can ride.
3. Finally, if you need any assistance or help when you in the Mossel Bay area, please feel free to stop by or contact me. I'm an intermediate rider, but super keen to become part of the DS world.

Best of luck...

Hi Winters

We are trying to carry across everything one could possible experience on a bike trip, so it is a combination of everything, and our main focus is to show folks why an adventure motorcycle is by far the best form of transport for exploring our land that there is, it has no equal.

How well do we ride, mmm, how long is a piece of string. I suppose we ride well enough, we have both done in excess of 100 000km on adventure bikes and are still here. Henk is probably the more accomplished rider between us, we are not Marc Coma, and never will be, I still don't like sand, can do a shortish power slide, cannot wheelie ..... get the idea?. But in the riding segments of the series we are really just carrying across information that has been tried and tested. However, here is part of the actual script :

"W - Before we get into that, please remember all the information we give you in these programs is really just aimed at giving you some basic knowledge about riding these adventure machines and can never replace what you will learn on a proper riding course, at an accredited academy with a qualified instructor. So do yourself a favor and look up one the off road riding courses in your area, because you can only benefit from proper training. So last time out, Henk got to stand around and look pretty, and this time it’s my turn."

If the first series is successful, we definitely plan to film LWYM in the other provinces of South Africa, and because we have limited knowledge or haven't to date done that much riding in places like the Eastern Cape, we will need to ask folks that live in those areas and have ridden every nook and cranny to help us, and we will when the time comes.

Thanks for all the other comments guys.

Appreciate the good, see if you can learn from the bad, thats what my old man taught me.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive

OomD, I would fully expect the two of you, namely yourself and Bennevis, being te ones taking it upon yourself to defend the brand you are so besotted with. But think clearly for a minute, and tell me it would be allright for say Yamaha, or Toyota to air something on national TV that is quite blatantly advertising? Is this program really about the
riding, or is it about the viewer becoming aware of which brand is used?
If you are honest about this, you would have noticed that the brand logo features too much for comfort. This has advertising in mind, and I know that it may be sound
business practise, as the same brand may lend support for this if success is tasted.
This however,does not sit well with me, yet most do not mind, in fact in today's world of huge advertising, most viewers would probably only register this advertising
on a sub-conscious level. They would not even fully realize that they are being less than subtly manipulated to align with a specific marque.
For the same reason it is illegal to have "flashing" ads in cinemas, this more blatant form is also wrong. Unless you state it to be an advert.
2SD, while I personally have no problem with such a series being a huge advertisement, Warren did state explicitly that the sponsors they did get were not even biking related. Or did you choose to skip over the posts that does not suit your bashing agenda?

They are using their own bikes. They have banks sponsoring them. They certainly even have the right to state, on each episode, "Brought to you by Absa", ala noot-vir-noot.

You are the one seeing the big BMW advert in this, purely because they ride BMW's.

If they rode Yamahas, it would still be a good series for me to watch, because I am not watching to see what bikes they ride, but rather where and how they are riding.

You started this anti-BMW thing. Don't throw the ball in my court because I'm simply calling you out on your anti-BMW crusade.

And now I think Warren's thread has been spoiled (or is that soiled?) enough. Tell you what, why don't you start an anti-BMW thread somewhere, instead of injecting your constant negativity on other threads? That way we can choose to ignore your posts.

Offline Warren Ellwood

2SD, while I personally have no problem with such a series being a huge advertisement, Warren did state explicitly that the sponsors they did get were not even biking related. Or did you choose to skip over the posts that does not suit your bashing agenda?

They are using their own bikes. They have banks sponsoring them. They certainly even have the right to state, on each episode, "Brought to you by Absa", ala noot-vir-noot.

You are the one seeing the big BMW advert in this, purely because they ride BMW's.

If they rode Yamahas, it would still be a good series for me to watch, because I am not watching to see what bikes they ride, but rather where and how they are riding.

You started this anti-BMW thing. Don't throw the ball in my court because I'm simply calling you out on your anti-BMW crusade.

And now I think Warren's thread has been spoiled (or is that soiled?) enough. Tell you what, why don't you start an anti-BMW thread somewhere, instead of injecting your constant negativity on other threads? That way we can choose to ignore your posts.

Thanks OomD, and I also said the following:

"Currently though, of all the folks assisting us, none have anything to do with the motorcycle game. We never stop working on that though."

And we never do, in fact we have a couple of people who's sole purpose in life is to make sure we can finish the series without going into abject poverty or needing to take a second bond (which I am also prepared to do). They are however managing to keep us trickling along at this stage.

When we started this journey a few years ago, we thought because its a program based around motorcycles, it would be a good idea to partner with a motorcycle brand, as surely it would it would be easier to secure some help with funding from a company who's primary business is motorcycles. This type of thing does not happen without funding help, simple as that.

So we put forward fairly comprehensive proposals to a couple of motorcycle company's that we thought would be interested. All of the feedback except for two companies was in the negative.

The companies who said no obviously looked at our proposal (or didn't) and made a decision. We respect those decisions because we realize we are nobody's, unknowns, and I can see why any company would think it a massive gamble to get involved with us as a major backer. I also know that all motorcycle companies get hundreds of requests along the lines of "Give us some money and bikes and we will make a TV show / movie", probably why most of these proposals go straight to file 13.

So we started on our own bikes with our own money and will probably finish on our own bikes and hopefully with not too much of our own money. And I am not going to apologize for the bike I ride or what my close friends who have been helping us ride. I am also not going to apologize for holding onto the hope that one day we will end up with a major backer, motorcycle related or not.

Fact is though, even if Motomia came to us and said they would help us with enough funding to get this thing on air, we would need to seriously consider it. We keep hearing that how today's modern world works, well then, what are we to do.

Our next hurdle is to pay the deposit on the R156K needed to broadcast the series. But I am not here asking for money from anyone, that is our problem entirely and we will make a plan, and this series will happen. We are merely asking you to watch it one day, and trying to drum up a little support to keep us motivated in the meantime.

On the other hand, if you don't want to watch it, or feel offended by it, just make sure you have new batteries in your TV remote, because it's takes a simple push on a button to turn us off and you can rather watch Honey Boo Boo or what ever else appeals to you.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:02:52 pm by Warren Ellwood »
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline J-dog

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
Re: Look What You’re Missing
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
Watched the trailer.  Well done Warren!  It shows a lot of promise.  Trailer (being first part of first episode?) spent a bit of time "setting the bckground" sort-of, which can be a bit tedious, but also necessary.  Just don't do the Merrican thing of explaining the obvious over and over. I'm not sure how one would balance hooking a novice to adventure riding and not boring the experienced guys, but it seems you guys are close to the money on this.

In my experience, the successful shows of this nature have a "golden thread" - a sort of storyline.  Not just a random collection of sound-bites and endless panning shots of bikes and scenery: that is as exciting as watching your neighbours' slide show of their most recent vacation to Bongoland.  For illustration, compare Metaljockey's RRs with the average RR - carefully put together storyline which makes you itch for the next installment as opposed to mindlessly flipping through images.

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
Great stuff, Warren. I do hope you guys go from strength to strength. I will watch the series, wishing it was me riding there with you guys.

And I wish you every success with the funding aspect.  :thumleft:

Offline Buff

And 2StrokeDan and myself are always available to put some Blue & Orange flair into the program if necessary.

2StrokeDan is particuarly good at doing stunts on an old XT600 if so required... and he can wheelie.... and powerslide  ;) ;D
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline MiniDan

Watched the trailer.  Well done Warren!  It shows a lot of promise.  Trailer (being first part of first episode?) spent a bit of time "setting the bckground" sort-of, which can be a bit tedious, but also necessary.  Just don't do the Merrican thing of explaining the obvious over and over. I'm not sure how one would balance hooking a novice to adventure riding and not boring the experienced guys, but it seems you guys are close to the money on this.

In my experience, the successful shows of this nature have a "golden thread" - a sort of storyline.  Not just a random collection of sound-bites and endless panning shots of bikes and scenery: that is as exciting as watching your neighbours' slide show of their most recent vacation to Bongoland.  For illustration, compare Metaljockey's RRs with the average RR - carefully put together storyline which makes you itch for the next installment as opposed to mindlessly flipping through images.

If you want a "golden thread", you need to put 2StrokeDan in the show bashing BM's. Just from all the response he gets on this forum, your show will be a massive success.

Offline MiniDan

And 2StrokeDan and myself are always available to put some Blue & Orange flair into the program if necessary.

2StrokeDan is particuarly good at doing stunts on an old XT600 if so required... and he can wheelie.... and powerslide  ;) ;D

Sorry Buff, but there will be no more stunts on that old XT600. That XT now belongs to me...

Offline Warren Ellwood

2StrokeDan is particuarly good at doing stunts on an old XT600 if so required... and he can wheelie.... and powerslide  ;) ;D

Thanks very much Buff. Convincing people to come along on filming weekends, especially the second time, has been one of the bigger challenges for us.

When you invite someone to join you in going away for a weekend on motorcycles, it is only natural that they will expect to riding most of the time. So after they spend that first weekend actually just standing around in the hot sun a lot of the time, they tend to loose the next invite.

We are lucky though that we have a few long time and true friends who cannot really refuse to come with due to said tried and tested friendship. And our wives, they cannot refuse to come with either  ;D, although they do try.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:04:03 pm by Warren Ellwood »

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive

Thanks very much Buff. Convincing people to come along on filming weekends, especially the second time, has been one of the bigger challenges for us.

When you invite someone to join you in going away for a weekend on motorcycles, it is only natural that they will expect to riding most of the time. So after they spend that weekend actually just standing around in the hot sun a lot of the time, they tend to loose the next invite.

We are lucky though that we have a few long time and true friends who cannot really refuse to come with due to said tried and tested friendship. And our wives, they cannot refuse to come with either  ;D, although they do try.

I would love to join you guys some time. When you start filming closer to GP, that is.  :biggrin:

Offline LeeMichael

When you invite someone to join you in going away for a weekend on motorcycles, it is only natural that they will expect to riding most of the time. So after they spend that weekend actually just standing around in the hot sun a lot of the time, they tend to loose the next invite.

There's me  :hello:

Offline Buff

Sorry Buff, but there will be no more stunts on that old XT600. That XT now belongs to me...

Whatttttt??? 2StrokeDan sold his Yamaha??? What the hell is this world coming to  :o

Offline Buff

:laughing4: In that case I might lose the 1st invite as well  ;)