Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: “Look What You’re Missing" - Series 2 starts this Saturday  (Read 25032 times)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Haven't seen anything yet, but it certainly sounds hopeful that this will be a bike programme with a difference compared to all the others that I sometimes watch, but don't really care whether I miss or not because they're not all that great.
If 2sD hasn't featured too much in this thread already, let me say that I find my reaction to his BMW views varies between amused/bored/mildly irritated, and totally unaffected, hell I even agree with him sometimes - BMW's like any other bike have their shortcomings.
But I must say I am with him on one point. Being constantly brainwashed by brand advertising every time you watch anything bike related on TV is irritating to me, even though I know perfectly well how necessary it is and how much poorer, if not impossible the whole thing would be without it.
I just find it irks, the way the camera pans over riders lining up on a race grid, knowing that the commentators spiel about the riders is secondary to the shots of all the brand logos. Similarly, when the leaders return to the winners' enclosure and someone is there to plant a cap on their heads almost before their helmets are off.
Also the way they have to carry their helmets to the podium, and afterwards to the interview room, and to place them so precisely in order to show the branding to the camera.
All part of the game, I know but here's at least one viewer who gets irked to the point of saying "stuff it, I don't want to watch this crap."
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Warren Ellwood

And 2StrokeDan and myself are always available to put some Blue & Orange flair into the program if necessary.

2StrokeDan is particuarly good at doing stunts on an old XT600 if so required... and he can wheelie.... and powerslide  ;) ;D

Thanks very much Buff. Convincing people to come along on filming weekends, especially the second time, has been one of the bigger challenges for us.

When you invite someone to join you in going away for a weekend on motorcycles, it is only natural that they will expect to riding most of the time. So after they spend that weekend actually just standing around in the hot sun a lot of the time, they tend to loose the next invite.

We are lucky though that we have a few long time and true friends who cannot really refuse to come with due to said tried and tested friendship. And our wives, they cannot refuse to come with either  ;D, although they do try.

There's me  :hello:

So, you coming with this weekend then?
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline MiniDan

And 2StrokeDan and myself are always available to put some Blue & Orange flair into the program if necessary.

2StrokeDan is particuarly good at doing stunts on an old XT600 if so required... and he can wheelie.... and powerslide  ;) ;D

Sorry Buff, but there will be no more stunts on that old XT600. That XT now belongs to me...

Whatttttt??? 2StrokeDan sold his Yamaha??? What the hell is this world coming to  :o

No not sold, passed on to the next generation...

Offline LeeMichael

Thanks very much Buff. Convincing people to come along on filming weekends, especially the second time, has been one of the bigger challenges for us.

When you invite someone to join you in going away for a weekend on motorcycles, it is only natural that they will expect to riding most of the time. So after they spend that weekend actually just standing around in the hot sun a lot of the time, they tend to loose the next invite.

We are lucky though that we have a few long time and true friends who cannot really refuse to come with due to said tried and tested friendship. And our wives, they cannot refuse to come with either  ;D, although they do try.

If only I was invited early... Next "trip" I am in, will leave my better half at home though  :pot:

Offline Warren Ellwood

If only I was invited early... Next "trip" I am in, will leave my better half at home though  :pot:

Well, you work directly for the boss, so don't blame the non invite on me.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Hoe vloek mens in Ingils wat te F@rk of so iets.

Ek moet sê ek dink dit is 'n moerse uitdaging en mikpunt vir Warren, Trevor en hulle makkers om so 'n projek aan te pak.  Daar is niks so uitdagend op iets waarin jy glo te probeer verkoop, ongeag alle terugslae ens.ens.

GO GO GO GO..........

Ek is miskien een van die gelukkiges, ry 'n fiets vir elke doel, motorfiets vir lang afstande en trapfiets om fiks te bly.  Is ek 'brand loyal of nie??   >:D

Ek is vir 'n verandering saam die naweek. 

LIGHTS CAMERA ACTION!!!!!!

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline tonys

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Clearly marketing is a bitch and the world would be a far better place without it.

So, why not remove all the offending badges and swop a few panels to ensure brand anonymity.

Perhaps the actual bikes should "edited out" in post-production to avoid offending those with an aversion to all things marketing (as most on this forum would still be able to distinguish various brands/models, even without being exposed to the manufacturer's logos/branding).

In this new PC world we live in there are so many interest groups that one must at all times take great care not to offend, whether intentionally or by proxy. Hell, what about those weird people that don't like motorcycles at all (and bikers even less). Best the production team ensure that the program does not refer to motorcycles exclusively - what about all the other "adventurers" (on foot, on bicycles, in tour buses, etc). Heaven forbid you inadvertently upset these sub-groups and their disciples.

Or, perhaps, we could all just grow a pair and make our own decisions in life based on whatever floats our individual boat. Dreaming of a world without marketing is an interesting thought experiment at best. Actually wishing for / demanding a world without marketing is borderline crazy. 

Back to the OP's thread. Well done to the team for having the kahunas to pursue the dream. Many dream, few do.

PS Warren, have you lost my number?  8)
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak".

2013 R1200GSA (Sold) 2011 R1200GS Adv (Sold) 2008 R1200GS (Sold)

Offline Andyman

• Pack Dog
  • always available
Warren, Tevor, Henk and team, You've done a really great job!!
Great for biking, and great for South Africa..
Please don't judge a dog by its cover.
The wonderful thing about this forum is everyone has the right to say what they want.
So, I know you have grown a thick hide to post on this forum,, it snot for sissies.

For non professional, unpaid, self funded, (for most of the part), you and especially the back office team in post-production have hit the nail on the head, fair and square.
We have a fantastic country to go ride in outdoors.
Beats most other places and we have a wonderfully diverse crowd to ride with.
We can and should all be proud of this.
The tune and words you wrote for this- the signature tune is very catching.
Now forge ahead, air the series and go show those other mothers just exactly what they are missing!!
Andyman
Anyone can ride a bike fast. But can you ride real slow?

Offline Andyman

• Pack Dog
  • always available
Well, I've now read this thread from front to back again.

Wow, some comments on sponsorship that maybe were written in haste,
If Ewen McGregor, charlie or Rus Malkin were reading this thread it would bring back some memories and more than a few wry smiles.
i recall another brand walked away from supporting their venture and did not want their brand associated with a bunch of wannabies going way beyond their limits.
BMW saw a huge opportunity to promote their brand.
THE REST IS HISTORY...............
Like they have on this one as well.
I say well done to a brand that has the balls to have faith in a few passionate people who can turn a DREAM INTO A REALITY.
Go boys, filming is costly with a capital F, and if some brand has the balls to back you,... go get 'em.
Andyman
Anyone can ride a bike fast. But can you ride real slow?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve

If Ewen McGregor, charlie or Rus Malkin were reading this thread it would bring back some memories and more than a few wry smiles.
i recall another brand walked away from supporting their venture and did not want their brand associated with a bunch of wannabies going way beyond their limits.
I say well done to a brand that has the balls to have faith in a few passionate people who can turn a DREAM INTO A REALITY.
Go boys, filming is costly with a capital F, and if some brand has the balls to back you,... go get 'em.

Well, apparently no brand is backing this venture at all. Secondly, it is never about a brand having the "balls" to back someone, it is always about the corporate dollar.
This I understand, and when it comes to advertising, I know how things are done in an consumer-driven world. No problem with brand-enhancing in an advertisement.
BIG problem with brand-enhancing in a non-advertising environment. I would hate to see Yamaha, Suzuki, or any brand "pushed" in a program like Two Wheels, where
I want to do relaxed watching and not be subjected to corporate-like brainwashing.
Of course neither BMW or their fans would complain. They have already bought into a "lifestyle". :deal:

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive

Well, apparently no brand is backing this venture at all. Secondly, it is never about a brand having the "balls" to back someone, it is always about the corporate dollar.
This I understand, and when it comes to advertising, I know how things are done in an consumer-driven world. No problem with brand-enhancing in an advertisement.
BIG problem with brand-enhancing in a non-advertising environment. I would hate to see Yamaha, Suzuki, or any brand "pushed" in a program like Two Wheels, where
I want to do relaxed watching and not be subjected to corporate-like brainwashing.
Of course neither BMW or their fans would complain. They have already bought into a "lifestyle". :deal:

Ai 2SD.

Now you changed your tuned. It's no longer corporate advertisement that's a problem, now it's corporate non-advertisement?

Personally I think it's just sour grapes that some guys who own BMW's have the balls and tenacity to take on such a project because of their love of the lifestyle, instead of people who ride a different brand of bike...

So you have a problem with their brand of bike. Tsk tsk tsk. Are you not the same one who posted in another thread that it doesn't matter that someone plays rugby, as long as they are enjoying it? Well I'd say the same goes for BMW riders, and clearly these guys are enjoying their bikes and the lifestyle that BMW supposedly sold them.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

Ai 2SD.

Now you changed your tuned. It's no longer corporate advertisement that's a problem, now it's corporate non-advertisement?

Personally I think it's just sour grapes that some guys who own BMW's have the balls and tenacity to take on such a project because of their love of the lifestyle, instead of people who ride a different brand of bike...

So you have a problem with their brand of bike. Tsk tsk tsk. Are you not the same one who posted in another thread that it doesn't matter that someone plays rugby, as long as they are enjoying it? Well I'd say the same goes for BMW riders, and clearly these guys are enjoying their bikes and the lifestyle that BMW supposedly sold them.

OomD, as in this thread, you also completely misunderstood my remark on enjoying rugby. Go read it again, it was a sarcastic remark on a previous post in that same thread.
You misunderstood.

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive

OomD, as in this thread, you also completely misunderstood my remark on enjoying rugby. Go read it again, it was a sarcastic remark on a previous post in that same thread.
You misunderstood.
Off course, yes.  ::)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
The guys are at it again
Not perturbed by 2SD sentiments on BMW branded motorcycles, i see one in the foreground had its decals enlarged especially for die kort mannetjie

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
Yes, I see the GeenSand standing on firm ground.

Kort Mannetjie? :eek7:. Play the ball, not the [short] man. :thumleft:

Offline Morph

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • Die 'n lekker poespas!!
Re: A dream, a reality check, and finally the TV series, “Look Wh
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2015, 08:26:32 am »
Just a thought...

If some people here are so upset by what brand bike is used, and other people here looking for sponsorships, then why does these upset people not put their money where their mouths are and sponsor their own bikes of different brands for the show, that way there will be a good mix of brands, thereby eliminating the so-called blatant advertising ???

Just mu line of thinking...

Warren, if by this statement I got you a bike for the show to do what ever you want to do with it, you do not have to thank me...

:ricky:
"I've got my own theme song....Da darada!!!

Offline Mev Vis Arend

Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Warren Ellwood

The guys are at it again
Not perturbed by 2SD sentiments on BMW branded motorcycles, i see one in the foreground had its decals enlarged especially for die kort mannetjie

What you cannot see in this picture are the stickers on the pannier, there is a Thinkbike Sticker, a LWYM sticker, and also, a WD sticker, top right hand corner, bright red in fact.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:13:46 am by Warren Ellwood »

Offline Warren Ellwood

Re: A dream, a reality check, and finally the TV series, “Look Wh
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2015, 10:11:27 am »
Just a thought...

If some people here are so upset by what brand bike is used, and other people here looking for sponsorships, then why does these upset people not put their money where their mouths are and sponsor their own bikes of different brands for the show, that way there will be a good mix of brands, thereby eliminating the so-called blatant advertising ???

Just mu line of thinking...

Warren, if by this statement I got you a bike for the show to do what ever you want to do with it, you do not have to thank me...

:ricky:

Thanks Morph, nothing revs like a rental eh.... :biggrin:

Bikes are not really a problem, we are using our own as stated. They are a 2013 GS800 and a 2007 GS1200 with around 250 000km on it and mostly held together with wire and hope. Everyone who we con to join us also use their own bikes and although most of them also ride propellers, we in fact do have a couple of close friends who ride the Orange Rockstars.

They however deemed themselves to be camera shy after one weekend away with us, probably because we stuck them in front of the camera and asked them a lot of questions.

It's more the pity because I got to ride one of those for quite a while that particular weekend, and that 1190R rocked my boat like few other motorcycles have ever done.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:13:57 am by Warren Ellwood »