My Dakar giving weird issues - advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtrider69

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Yesterday morning as I pulled out the driveway my 2001 Dakkie (55 000km) suddenly "vrekked" and all was dead, even the dash was dead and there was this weird "tik,tik,tik,tik" sound coming from somewhere - I think from the battery or dash or somewhere there. The tik,tik sound quickly stopped and the dash was back on. The bike started but didn't idle and vrekked if I pulled away. After about 3 tries she took off as if nothing was wrong and all was well. About 4km down the road I had to brake hard for a red light and as I approached the traffic light the bike again just vrekked. But this time the dash was on and it took a couple of tries to get it going. It started but sounded a rough at first but smoothed out and idled fine. I took off and for the rest of the day the bike was perfect.

Any idea what might cause this or where to even start looking? I don't want to get stranded in traffic or on some remote gravel road in the middle of nowhere with only my tent, a bottle of OBS and a piece of beef fillet. OK, maybe the second option aint that bad....

Any advice?