Advice needed on two bike projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyre kicker

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
A mate of mine has offered to sell me two bikes that have been standing for years and were ridden by his children when they were at school and varsity.

1) Honda XR 200R -  The bike has been standing for some years and is still a runner I am told as the engine was redone some years ago.
Everything is on the bike but it will need a clean up and parts like seat re-covered,new plastics and I suppose a suspension and shock overhaul.

2) RM250 - Has gold rims that looks pretty good and is supposedly a good runner but I noticed both front shocks that hold the wheel have blown their seals but on closer inspection I saw that the both front shock casings re chipped on the top and the casing damaged  ith metal missing on both bottom sections of the shocks that hold the oil.

The thing is, is it worth it repairing and rebuilding these two iconic bikes or not? 

What is a second hand set of front forks or replacing only the damaged parts possibly going to cost me as that is the biggest issue with the RM. I guess the RM is a2000 or later model as it looks very modern and has gold rims.

I will however take a good look for the year model ,however I think that the XR is an eighties bike as I rode them in the army myself.

I know that I need to place some pics here which I will do however I don't even know what to pay for them without ripping my friend off.

Any Wizzards or Numzaans's out there that have good experience with rebuilds on either of these bikes?Your input will be invaluable.

In the meantime I will offer up some time energy and try to clean these bikes in order to feel more positive and enthusiastic about attempting this project.

One thing is for sure and that is that these two bikes definitely have a great future ahead of them given the fact that they are given the necessary attention and care.

Any info will be appreciated.

TK