Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: F650GS/Dakar steering head bearing tool  (Read 1122 times)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
F650GS/Dakar steering head bearing tool
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:47:58 am »
It is that time again - I need to replace my steering head bearings.

My dad has bought a F650GS and his bearings are also due for replacement, so I figured it is time to make a proper tool to do the bearings. My last tool held together for exactly 1 replacement  :P

Does anyone have the details - measurements, etc where the holes are the size of the holes etc.

Would like to make the tool before I start the job in the hope of having zero downtime on the bike.

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: F650GS/Dakar steering head bearing tool
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:02:30 pm »
IMO a tool like that is unnecessary and dangerous.  It allows far too much pressure to be placed on the bearing.  Tightening the bearing as per the manual is also not correct and results in a destroyed bearing before you have even ridden the bike.  Been there, done that!

The edge indicated in the pic below is knurled and is large enough the apply the required pressure on the bearing by hand.  I have done many of them by hand and never had a problem or a comeback.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline BlomC

• Masegat se
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:18:06 pm »
IMO a tool like that is unnecessary and dangerous.  It allows far too much pressure to be placed on the bearing.  Tightening the bearing as per the manual is also not correct and results in a destroyed bearing before you have even ridden the bike.  Been there, done that!

The edge indicated in the pic below is knurled and is large enough the apply the required pressure on the bearing by hand.  I have done many of them by hand and never had a problem or a comeback.

Very interesting...I've wondered a lot about this on my wife's Sertao. Thanks Jughead.

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 11:01:45 am »

Absolutely nothing to add.
A steering head bearing must be set precisely free of play and free of any preload. No "turn to this torque and turn back this angle" ISO 9000 hokus pokus will do the trick.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)