Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I don't understand  (Read 16994 times)

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: I don't understand
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 05:24:25 pm »
and I now tithe my insurance money instead

you what the insurance money? ???
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2wdrift

Re:
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 05:24:58 pm »
What I think is really a necessity would be third party, fire and theft.

Fully comprehensive for my 1190 was 1.6k a month. Wont do fully comprehensive on my next bike unless I buy new again.   

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 05:26:07 pm »

Gives it to the church.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 05:27:18 pm »

Gives it to the church.
in what language?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 05:28:23 pm »

Gives it to the church.
in what language?

The queen's.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Parkinoff

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 05:40:33 pm »
Makes me think, in a round-about-twisted-kind-of-way about this guy who prayed for three years to win the lotto. Eventually God replied and said 'Buy a fucking ticket first"!
My rides:

Super Hex TTI Alexithymia with completely unnecessary, but very expensive Nemophilistic suspension. Electroflux Gogglemaster Oenophilia Edition. 1983 (very rare) Yonderly Bawhair with heated grips.

Offline Delport

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • When in doubt, pin it...
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 05:55:06 pm »
How can people ride (adventure) bikes without insurance ? Any bike really , but adventure bikes even more so. Statistically you are just so much more prone to fall and damage your bike on a dirt road.

Surely if you can not afford the insurance then you can not afford the bike/lifestyle ?

I have bought two bikes in my life and both times the bike was insured even before I was on the bus to go and fetch it from it's owner. I will not put the key in the ignition of a bike / vehicle that does not have insurance.

The same goes for cars while I am at it. I see the TV add every morning where people are shown saying they can not afford the insurance. Then surely you buy a cheaper car with a smaller repayment so your budget allows for insurance as well ?

Hmm why did you start the topic? I think most of us are insured on DS bikes. Whether it be 3rd party or full cover. Enlighten us on the conversation you had with the "someone" that does not insure and their reasoning.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re:
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 05:56:10 pm »

Fully comprehensive for my 1190 was 1.6k a month. Wont do fully comprehensive on my next bike unless I buy new again.   

What? R1600. I say again, WHAT??

My SMT I also bought Cash. My Insurance on it is R200 a month. I will be a poephol trying save R200 a month.
On my 1190 I pay R300 a month now. Again, I will be a poephol to cancel and try saving R300 a month.

Both Full comprehensive Insurance.

How long must I save R500 a month to replace two bikes? Nee fok ouens, ry julle maar sonder Assuransie. maar ek gaan nie  :biggrin:

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 05:57:28 pm »
this will get a lot of you going , I stopped paying insurance and I now tithe my insurance money instead , I trust the Lord with my soul and salvation so why not with mere earthly goods .

What you basically saying is that paying a tithing (or bigger tithing) will prevent you from accidents or loss.  I guess you can have the same argument about medical aid.

I have the following issues with this:

- Being a faithful Christian and follow His commandments does not guarantee that nothing is going to happen to you or your   possessions (look at Job in the Bible).

- The Bible is all about owning up to your mistakes.  Should you crash into somebody else's car and is unable to make good to that person, you are severely compromising your testimony.

- As a Christian, you are also required to take care of your wife and family.  If all your savings are wiped out due to an unforeseen accident, where does this leave you?

- If you are still paying off a bond or instalment on your vehicle, you are contractually required to have insurance.  By not having insurance, you are in essence breaking the law (which is also against the Bible).

A tithing was never meant to be a "heavenly insurance".  It is rather a practical illustration of your faith, which has nothing to do with insurance.  

I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »
I think Insurance is a personal thing. Each to his own.

I tend to err onthe side of caution.

70% of drivers on our roads does not have insurance.....
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline 2wdrift

Re: Re:
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 06:13:19 pm »

My SMT I also bought Cash. My Insurance on it is R200 a month. I will be a poephol trying save R200 a month.
On my 1190 I pay R300 a month now. Again, I will be a poephol to cancel and try saving R300 a month.

How long must I save R500 a month to replace two bikes? Nee fok ouens, ry julle maar sonder Assuransie. maar ek gaan nie  :biggrin:
Ja outsurance het my ge roer met die pryse. Ek was toe ek hom koop 24, met een ongeluk op my versekering (swart bees ge tref wat in die aand voor my in ge hardloop het) en dit het blykbaar my risiko vreeslik op ge stoot. Het nou maar na ek my 1190 verkoop het ook my kar se versekering af ge vat na derde party bla bla. Maar dit is n ge choonde subaru...

XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Sylvester

Re:
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 07:02:33 pm »

R300 klink baie laag op 'n R180K bike.  By wie is jy verseker?
I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline Delport

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • When in doubt, pin it...
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
Duidelik is ek die armgat tussen al die Wilddogs....
Ek kan nie bekostig om R20k + uit te haal as ek val met my fiets sonder versekering, om hom dan reg te maak nie. (kom al die nuwe LC en 1190 eienaars moet bietjie body parts gaan prys....)
Ek kan nie bekostig om geld uit te haal as ek iemand anders se kar stamp en moet regmaak uit my sak nie.
Ek kan nie 'n siviele saak bekostig as ek 'n pedestrian/motorbestuurder/etc doodry en die familie sue my nie.

En die ou wat Christenskap in bring as versekering. Christene kom ook in ongelukke, die laaste wat ek gekyk het. Wat maak jou so spesiaal? Each one to his one maar ons los maar die een uit toe.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:33 pm »
@Draadwek: riders want dirt-encrusted bikes, pictures of them crossing dirty puddles, then notice a scratch on their rim, insurance claim, BMW write the rim off, it's Adventure riding, a (cosmetically) pristine machine is not what its about. I see/hear a fair bit of 'petty' claims, now, a proper fall/damage, that's a different matter.

@The Bear - understood, my take is different.

Chers!
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 08:33:23 pm »
and what about riding with out medical aid even worse !!!!

good point! I wonder how many have bike but not medical insurance?

I'd rather my bike is scrap, than me ending up in some state hospital :o

I buy my bikes cash, so can choose whether to have insurance or not

had insurance on a Dakar many moons ago, came short, R15k cosmetic damage and didn't claim

had the 800GS, S10, 1190 without insurance, never came short (close shaves yes) - my bigger fear was that somebody would steal the bike, so installed alarms

on the 1290 I have insurance again - not sure why, maybe I'm becoming too lazy to want the worries

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 08:50:53 pm »
I never had insurance on a car nor a bike and riding both legally (licenced) since 1989. Before that only on leaners. I never had insurance till I bought the Triumph Explorer in 2010 if memory serves me right. Then I sold her and never for a couple of years had insurance till now with my NC750X and I also insured my sons Versys. I only insured them because he use both of them (NC once a week) to collage.
I never had an accident and never a claim due to theft.
My bike is locked in my garage and in addition also with a very huge chain through the back wheel.
I only had one accident with a medical response car in 1995 when I was responding to a call and a doctor turned into the road (responding to the same scene ) and cut me off. I rolled 7 times and there was little left of the car.

One night a guy stole a cell phone and ran away right in front of my Klr. I connected him on 70 km/h and made a summy over the bars. Got up and rode away. Klr had a crack in the fairing and a scratch on the crash bar.

I will however never ride with our medical aid, and probably because I am a medic.

Once my son is qualified I will drop the bike insurance once again and enjoy riding even more because there will be more money for petrol.

Each to his own.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 08:59:04 pm »
Ps: I made a typo, meant to say I will never ride without medical aid. I know from medical experience as a medic the difference in level of care between government hospitals and private hospitals.

Obviously always buy my bikes cash, if I have some money I ride a new bike, when I am low on cash I ride an old bike. When i dont have money I walk. .....free spirit, you guessed right ;D;D

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline pittbull

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: I do nt understand
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 09:08:24 pm »
By not paying insurance you save big bucks. The insurace i have saved over the last 10 years paid my latest bike in cash

Someone said to me a while back that if I didn't smoke just think how much money you would have saved over the years. So I asked him where is all the money that he saved as a none smoker. He could not answer me............ Its the same thing  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Is jy bang om dood te gaan of is jy te bang om te lewe.

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 09:19:18 pm »
It would be great to know what everyone is paying to get an average - maybe a value of bike and how much monthly to get a picture .
I have never insured bikes but have always ridden around on sub 25K bikes - going to be upgrading to an AT R170K + and got quoted R661 plus I have to pay an additional charge of R 149 for a tracker - is that ball park for what you guys are paying ?

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 09:22:22 pm »
It would be great to know what everyone is paying to get an average - maybe a value of bike and how much monthly to get a picture .
I have never insured bikes but have always ridden around on sub 25K bikes - going to be upgrading to an AT R170K + and got quoted R661 plus I have to pay an additional charge of R 149 for a tracker - is that ball park for what you guys are paying ?

that tracker seems too expensive - your premium will depend a lot on what your excess payment is - if you can afford it and see your risk as low, make your excess high