Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: From "Para" to Dakar.  (Read 40585 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: From "Para" to Dakar.
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2017, 12:24:46 am »
Okay I have 5 videos :thumleft:

This video was taken minutes later.] (Sorry, I could not turn it)

Some more shots of the damage:

Then he took this video some minutes later.

............About an hour later with some locals on the scene.

Sometime later he finds another bike. YOU have GOT TO watch this one.  :deal: You don't quit...EVER!.  :thumleft:  :imaposer:  :'(  :)  :ricky:

Then Joey goes full-on McGyver on us :laughing7:

The bike belonged to this chap, who unfortunately broke both his wrists.  :'( :'( :'(

Some more random guys on dirt bikes were there at the bike in the middle of nowhere helped him, including this guy who Joey mentioned also had only one leg.

Some of the other guys who helped.

Then finally we have the red bull video which has been posted already

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:58 am »
Thanks BB for all your sterling efforts to keep us updated .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Shew , even though we heard it , it is much more emotional to watch the videos.  Thanks Joey for taking them for our enjoyment and inspiration and well done, again .  :ricky:

Joey what can I say that hasn't been said already , riding after being told you could never walk , being partially paralyzed and riding with a catheter and struggling to do regular tasks that we take for granted . Then actually making it to the start line of the Dakar ( a huge mental and monetary challenge )
 Then , against all odds, making it to the finish line ...

..... tearing a ligament in your knee early on in the race and just carry on riding despite that intense pain ,  having to see your friend David Thomas break his leg and assisting him , then having a near -death experience with a car ploughing your down and a bike practically written off , in thick sand and fesh fesh and you just McGuiver -fix your bike and carry on anyway slowly slowy and irreversibly to the finish like a MAGNET  . And yes you finish , despite all odds.  :3some:

It just goes to show if you have the right mental frame of mind then things will happen around you that miraculously align to your goal.  Like finding that abandoned bike just at the right time.  Thanks for reminding us that Faith is everything . When you believe something so hard , it somehow will happen . And it did.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2017, 06:34:44 am »
I'm speechless, what more can be said about this man, such an incredible individual & roll model, well done Joey  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2017, 06:41:42 am »
Bloody dust...

Well done, Joey. That is a huge achievement. And I hope you find out who the driver of the car was. He deserves a snot klap.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2017, 08:00:19 am »
Freaking amazing  :ricky:

Its all in the mind, you truly are an inspiration Joey  :thumleft:

As a matter of interest, in the first week Joey had a label on the rally box '"you did not come this far, to get this far!".
On the pics above, we can only make out the last portion of a new phrase, anyone know the full sentence?

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2017, 08:22:06 am »
When will teh Legend return?
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:44 am »
Thanks BB for all your sterling efforts to keep us updated .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Shew , even though we heard it , it is much more emotional to watch the videos.  Thanks Joey for taking them for our enjoyment and inspiration and well done, again .  :ricky:

Joey what can I say that hasn't been said already , riding after being told you could never walk , being partially paralyzed and riding with a catheter and struggling to do regular tasks that we take for granted . Then actually making it to the start line of the Dakar ( a huge mental and monetary challenge )
 Then , against all odds, making it to the finish line ...

..... tearing a ligament in your knee early on in the race and just carry on riding despite that intense pain ,  having to see your friend David Thomas break his leg and assisting him , then having a near -death experience with a car ploughing your down and a bike practically written off , in thick sand and fesh fesh and you just McGuiver -fix your bike and carry on anyway slowly slowy and irreversibly to the finish like a MAGNET  . And yes you finish , despite all odds.  :3some:

It just goes to show if you have the right mental frame of mind then things will happen around you that miraculously align to your goal.  Like finding that abandoned bike just at the right time.  Thanks for reminding us that Faith is everything . When you believe something so hard , it somehow will happen . And it did.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Well said Rynet.  I was glued to this thread from the start - not really interested in the front runners.  Shit, and when I couldn't see your name on my Dakar app Saturday, I threw etiquette out of the window and explained why I'm frantically glued to my phone - to such an extent that I had the rest of the friends asking me every couple of minutes if there is any news on you. 

Well done Joey - you are a true Dakar Hero. 
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline Buff

« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2017, 08:36:00 am »

As a matter of interest, in the first week Joey had a label on the rally box '"you did not come this far, to get this far!".
On the pics above, we can only make out the last portion of a new phrase, anyone know the full sentence?

I'm not sure but I think I'm going to have a sticker made for the bars of my bike that says...
 "What would Joey do?" That will motivate me to see things to the end  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:02:44 am by Buff »
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:31 am »

I'm not sure but I think I'm going to have a sticker made for the bars of my bike that says...
 "What would Joey do?" That will motivate me to see things to the end  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft:  Good idea!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline Rascal

« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:19 am »
True LEGEND!!

A sound clip that I think does this man justice!

https://soundcloud.com/dieheuwels/die-heuwels-fantasties-stilte

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:54 am »
MR EVENS JOU YSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2017, 10:29:42 am »
Very well done Joey. :thumleft:
Hope we see you on two wheels for many years to come.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline lpj

« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2017, 01:40:54 pm »
Excellent stuff Joey, very well done!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

You are an inspiration, thanks.

We definitely have to get you down here in the Cape so you can relate your adventure to us - we can organise accommodation and transport for you here in Stellenbosch, not a problem.

Just let us know when you're going to be down here.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:36:04 pm by lpj »

Offline tulips

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2017, 05:24:33 pm »

:thumleft: :thumleft:  Good idea!

Excellent Idea - This could become the catch phrase of the century  --- I would  buy a T shirt
Buff hatch a business plan with Joey

Joey your'e a tough bastard - well done !!!
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:37 am »
1ougat
Flight TAM8162 to Jhb
ETA 13:44

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2017, 12:07:33 pm »
 :thumleft:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2017, 03:52:44 pm »
So Joey will be appearing at KTM Cape Town on Tuesday 7 Feb at 6pm. I hope to see all you Joey fans there.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:44 pm »
Joey and Meredith are being interviewed now on Cliff Central. http://cliffcentral.com/

edit: Here's a link to the podcast http://cliffcentral.com/podcasts/the-leadership-platform/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:55:35 pm by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2017, 01:09:29 pm »
Carte Blanche last night.

http://carteblanche.dstv.com/player/1169684/

Good one!

Offline evansv

« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2017, 01:22:17 pm »
Awesome!!! Thanks for posting the link :thumleft:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (sold), KTM 690 Enduro R (current)