Open or closed helmet visor... that is the question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunder

Auburn Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
This topic has always had me in two minds.

On good warm days I would ride with my visor open (not highway speeds, city commuting speed). I use a good pair of safety glasses that protects my eyes so it's fine right?. On every other occasion a small(ish) bug hits me on the forehead and then I would think "that would not have happened if your visor was closed" and then I closed it. On other days the visor is closed and a proper bug would splat against the visor and I would be so relieved that the visor was closed. But before long I open my visor again here and there while riding. This keeps going on and on and I keep wondering which is "best".

The other day a buddy and I are traveling backroads towards Clarens. Good riding, not too fast on gravel roads. I pick up in the corner of my eye a pigeon swooping from left to right over the road and suddenly he changes direction and hits me smack on the visor!!:oops:

I feel now the question has been answered. I am now much more reluctant to ride with an open visor:sneaky:

Last edited: