Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM: Ready to let you down…..  (Read 27754 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: KTM: Ready to let you down…..
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 09:08:48 pm »
I think the earlier 690's had some issues, but consider the performance of the bikes when compared to other options and you might accept the risks.

The performance of both engine and chassis led me to buy one, but far from reliable. Of all our outrides, there is at least one 690 inbound on a trailer.

With what type of issues Dan?

Mostly electrical, the lowest quality wiring loom I have had the displeasure of laying my eyes on. Lots of non-stopping stuff like bad quality indicators that simply breaks
off at the stalks, pathetic headlights, idiotic instruments and controls, hydraulic tensioner problems, camshaft rocker bearing failure.
GJ knows his 690 like his dick knows the palm of his hand from all the roadside repairs.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »

My 950 & 690 ktm's were a pleasure to own.

Both sold at very high mileage with no issues.

Haai,  voertsek jou fokken skellem,  i bought my 950 with more than 40k on the clock.
As with my 650R,  my wife didn't allowm me to ride the 690,  so that doesn't count...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »
Remember that the KTMs arent build to be reliable but rather to be a joy. While the jap bikes have a higher emphasis on reliability and less on pushing the boundaries of engineering.

Its the same with ranger vs hilux.

Less reliability is to be expected. This is an old debate
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:12 pm »
I knew of quite a few 640lc's motard said that had issues. But so far with my 990 with 40 k KM on the clock I have to date only had a fuel issue,but that was bad fuel,Stoetie and Jethro had issues with the same fuel as me.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »
I have had a lot of bikes over the 40 years. Never ever had a breakdown ever.
I suspect lack of hands on maintenance by the owners has got a lot to do how reliable a bike is.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 09:14:55 pm »
Remember that the KTMs arent build to be reliable but rather to be a joy. While the jap bikes have a higher emphasis on reliability and less on pushing the boundaries of engineering.

Yamaha does not build a high-performance 650 class bike, but their 450 4strokes put out more power per cc than the 690/701, yet they are stone reliable.

I so wish Yamaha would bring out a WR700.

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »

My 950 & 690 ktm's were a pleasure to own.

Both sold at very high mileage with no issues.

Haai,  voertsek jou fokken skellem,  i bought my 950 with more than 40k on the clock.
As with my 650R,  my wife didn't allowm me to ride the 690,  so that doesn't count...

:imaposer:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:13 pm »
Sorry about your experience Altie, and it's gonna be tough changing that opinion, if ever.

My 2c - I currently have the 640LC - too low mileage to give extensive problems but:

(1) I will not buy a 640 second hand if I don't know the owner and the history of the bike.
(2) I will never buy a second hand 690 with 27,000km on

I've ridden my good friends 690, and although he rides it like a ou vrou, I can not ride it properly. If I had it for the 8,500km he's owned it to date, it would have been in a vastly different condition I think.

Went to test ride a 690 the other day as possible rally bike, with 14,000km on, it just felt abused.

My 640 I nurse like a baby, so that is possibly why it is problem free.

Personally I believe you just might have chosen two bad examples to buy second hand, and now the brand suffers the consequences.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:25:10 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:27 pm »
I knew of quite a few 640lc's motard said that had issues. But so far with my 990 with 40 k KM on the clock I have to date only had a fuel issue,but that was bad fuel,Stoetie and Jethro had issues with the same fuel as me.

The LC8 engines are quite reliable.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 09:19:49 pm »

Most bullshit excuse I have yet read on WD's  :imaposer:

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 09:28:36 pm »
I have had a lot of bikes over the 40 years. Never ever had a breakdown ever.
I suspect lack of hands on maintenance by the owners has got a lot to do how reliable a bike is.

I have had many bikes over the past 40 years as well.  Only broke down alongside the road once, but it wasn't a KTM.

Thankfully I could call a professional to come fetch the bike and me ......   :peepwall:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:29:11 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline fixit

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:41 pm »
Don't know much about the 690, but I have a mate that has ridden the balls off his 640. Been going for about 10 years already and not a single issue other than battery sprockets and chains..

I need to check with him what kilo's on the clock. Fidel Castro come in? :biggrin:

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 09:33:19 pm »
although I've been fortunate enough to never have a bike leave me stranded, I can imagine it sucks, but to declare that one specific brand unreliable, seems stupid - I've now got my 2nd KTM and although I'm not always very pleased with the communication from KTM, it's an exciting, growing brand

Offline Offshore

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 09:33:47 pm »
Don't know much about the 690, but I have a mate that has ridden the balls off his 640. Been going for about 10 years already and not a single issue other than battery sprockets and chains..

I need to check with him what kilo's on the clock. Fidel Castro come in? :biggrin:
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: Fidel   :ricky:

Offline Bensien

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 10:02:54 pm »
In 35 years of riding bikes I have been let down the most by Hondas, Suzukis and Kawasakis.  I have been riding the same KTM since 2008 and it has never given me any issues except for a dud battery. This bike has visited every corner of this country and has done everything from technical off-road to high speed long distance, two-up with luggage.  It is the most reliable bike of the thirty plus I have owned in my life. You can’t generalise just because you have had issues. There are thousands of people who  whose experience is the opposite of yours.

Perhaps you were in a situation where you struggled to properly maintain the Jap bikes, yet were financially better of by the time you got the KTM?

I was broke when I had the other bikes, and I am still broke, so no difference there. Seriously, I had/have Hondas, Kawasakis and Suzukis that I got after the KTM and they all have had their share of problems. I am not saying that KTM's are more reliable. I am only trying to illustrate that one persons' experience does not indicate the norm
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 10:27:27 pm »
In 35 years of riding bikes I have been let down the most by Hondas, Suzukis and Kawasakis.  I have been riding the same KTM since 2008 and it has never given me any issues except for a dud battery. This bike has visited every corner of this country and has done everything from technical off-road to high speed long distance, two-up with luggage.  It is the most reliable bike of the thirty plus I have owned in my life. You can’t generalise just because you have had issues. There are thousands of people who  whose experience is the opposite of yours.

Perhaps you were in a situation where you struggled to properly maintain the Jap bikes, yet were financially better of by the time you got the KTM?

I was broke when I had the other bikes, and I am still broke, so no difference there. Seriously, I had/have Hondas, Kawasakis and Suzukis that I got after the KTM and they all have had their share of problems. I am not saying that KTM's are more reliable. I am only trying to illustrate that one persons' experience does not indicate the norm

It certainly doesn't, but for that one person it is a nightmare.  I had a Mitsubishi Colt 2.8TDi that I eventually hated.  It was the worst automotive disaster anyone could ever be unfortunate enough to own.  Yet!  Say that to the vast majority of Colt owners and they send you to an early grave.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 10:32:00 pm »
Have you ever owned an Alfa Romeo?   :peepwall:

My 640 has needed a lot of owner input. :patch:
Chafed loom under tank.
Over-crimped lug on the clutch/sidestand circuit diode, the copper wire was severed and caused intermittent cut-out.
Replaced sprag clutch of starter at 40 000km, that seems it's normal life.

But once the shit is sorted, it is a pleasure  ;D

The 990....... replaced fuel filter & that's it  ;D
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline blauth

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 10:34:11 pm »
I've had a bunch of bikes in my time, many Jap, Brit and Austrian KTM's and I can't say unreliability was one of my experiences. I think it's safe to say KTM is the most performance orientated off-road and dual purpose brand and personally, the way I've seen okes abuse their big KTM's off-road, I think they are bloody excellent.

My most unreliable bike was an X-Challenge. Also shared a proper love hate relationship with that bike but the next oke loved it and it gave him no shit for 10000km.....then there was some cam issue. Now that was a piece of crap bike in my opinion.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:19 pm »
Just take a spare fuel pump wherever you go and you will be sorted ;) :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »
Have you ever owned an Alfa Romeo?   :peepwall:

Thankfully no, but at least an Alfa could pull some chicks.  The Colt couldn't even do that!   >:D
#33 #BRADICAL!