Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My first ride: BMW R1200GS LC Trophy  (Read 7317 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
My first ride: BMW R1200GS LC Trophy
« on: July 20, 2016, 04:45:18 pm »
Coming off a 2013 BMW F800GS (my second one, had a 2008 F800GS previously) and never have properly ridden any 1200, I was given a R1200GS Trophy as a loan bike for a day.
First impressions?

It does all the F800GS does, only 20km/h faster. This is a huge concern as you can land up in all kinds of trouble - 20km/h faster!
It is a bit annoying as well. It accelerates so fast that it wants to lift the front wheel all the time (at full throttle in lower gears), repeatedly invoking ASC and cutting the fuel to get that  front wheel back on the ground...

The brakes are very good and the dual system (front and rear engaging when pulling front) helps to boost confidence. You need this stopping power on a bike that can go so fast - "where is the tires' limit?" is a question that comes to mind all the time. It is shod with Anakee 3's, so they are very smooth on tarred roads.
Like with the F800, the R1200 LC is not vibration free. At times you can feel the engine vibrating through the handlebars, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The bike is easy to ride at low speeds and well balanced - thanks to the boxer's low C of G.
And I now know why my BMW citi pants have shin protection right down - it is to stop the shin getting written off every time you put your foot down. I am tall and hit the RHS pod with the shin every time!

While the bike rides easily at low rpm (and accelerates so quickly), I could feel the throttle hesitating at times before taking up the strain to deliver proper power. Is that "ride by wire's" fault, or signs of a very lean fuel mixture. I'd love to see what a BoosterPlug does to smooth out the ride.
I rode in the face of oncoming bad Cape weather with 16C showing on the dash, yet the cooling fan came on at a traffic light. A BoosterPlug will make it run richer and cooler (engine temp 100C after riding).

A short dirt ride on the Contermanskloof road inspired as the bike felt planted and balanced. Does the standard steering damper help to inspire confidence? Seat height is lower than the 800, and standing was awkward for my 2m frame, but it feels better after adjusting the handlebars upwards and forwards - a mod every Adventure rider should do - for free!
It is most probably easy to ride the bike sedately, but also very easy to pick up speed at an alarming rate. I had the feeling that the speedo was over reading all the time - can it be true that it says 120 in a 60 zone? :peepwall: Surely I cannot be going that fast?! It will cruise at 160 where the 800 will do so comfortably at 140, and get to 210 where the 800 will get to 180...

It runs on two modes - normal and rain. Rain delays response slightly and makes the bike smoother - power is introduced more gradually. Ideal for a beginner rider. But then, what beginner will begin with an LC? The bike was easily rideable on wet roads in Normal mode, but rain might help on gravel? The sudden on/off throttle might catch out some in the wet, so you have to be wary, but then a BoosterPlug will take away the sharpness of the response, making it easier to roll on.

Would I get one? SWAMBO said "NO" before anything else, like hello or how was your ride:xxbah:. If I do, this is the model to get - value for money and faster than the GSA, but I will have to ride further to fully understand the implications of the added weight (40kg more than the F800GS) and 19" front rim off road, and get used to the inhuman accrual of speed and it's implications. Maybe I don't want to go that fast? I am sure that it will be a good pillion bike though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:03:39 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Bigsix

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
Re: My first ride: BMW R1200GS LC Trophy
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »
Good assesment info!
Thanx

Offline Kawasefi

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »
Cool review! I would like to take a modern boxer for a spin to see what the hype is all about.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:21:23 pm »
and 18" front rim off road,

slip of the finger I guess, cause you know it is a 19". :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline roem

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »
I upgraded to a Trophy from a F700GS.

I love it!

Check this sticker kit I got with the bike.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:30:16 pm »

Hy konsentreer op die boosterplug pitch........ :peepwall: :peepwall: :ricky:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:47:58 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:43 pm »

Hy konsentreer op die boosterplug pitch........😜😜

:imaposer:  I thought it was subtle
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Noneking

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:37:34 pm »

Hy konsentreer op die boosterplug pitch....... ;D ;D

:imaposer:  I thought it was subtle

It never is........ ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:47:44 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 09:20:42 am »
19" - correction made :thumleft:
I don't want to sell the BoosterPlug on this thread, but am itching to feel what it does to the LC as I know what it can do - I am sure it will improve things though. The EFI blips the throttle when gearing down in the lower gears at lower rpm. I am sure this is to keep the bike from stalling - a classic result of a too lean mixture. Or is it to aid the gearbox? I have caught myself in too a high gear after slowing down many a time, thinking that the torque will pull it through, but actually just being out of the rev range. What I am saying is that the motor is so tractable.
This morning my wife asked why the saddle is so low. It was set on Low, so I adjusted it. Now the height is better :thumleft:. For the love of Mary I cannot see how many kms the bike has done. It is not part of the standard display?
At high speed the screen was perfect at the highest setting for my 2m frame, but my helmet started lifting as soon as I lifted the throttle, which may call for an aerotrim, should I be riding one.
And does the exhaust have a "make me sound better" valve? It seems so.
It is still awkward to get used to the two pots sitting in front of my shins, especially when standing at a traffic light.
The telelever system is a surprise to get used to, making the bike more stable and not nosediving in the same way as the 800. But it is not as forgiving as the F800GS when traversing the myriad of 30km/h speed bumps growing out of the ground like large mole heaps in the old part of Table View. The 800 smirks at them, ignoring their existence, where the 1200 makes you aware of them in superbike style.
Lastly, the 1200 still has that "Old Man" look. The F800GS looks more aggressive and progressive to my subjective eye...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 09:25:50 am »
And I now know why my BMW citi pants have shin protection right down - it is to stop the shin getting written off every time you put your foot down. I am tall and hit the RHS pod with the shin every time!

Very nice write-up.  I enjoyed reading it.

Just a note, even the dumbest, over 6" rider eventually stops banging his right shin against the pod.  Of course, in typical BMW planning style, the BMW OEM crash bars makes it worse!

Even I stopped after a year or so.  The first time after going the R1200GS route and I saw my shin, not blue, I thought I had to rush to go see a Dr!   :imaposer:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:26:31 am by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:27:34 am »

I love it!

Only had to tell you to get a boxer for 8 years or so, n!   :thumleft: :ricky:

I don't want to sell the BoosterPlug on this thread, but am itching to feel what it does to the LC as I know what it can do - I am sure it will improve things though. The EFI blips the throttle when gearing down in the lower gears at lower rpm. I am sure this is to keep the bike from stalling - a classic result of a too lean mixture. Or is it to aid the gearbox? I have caught myself in too a high gear after slowing down many a time, thinking that the torque will pull it through, but actually just being out of the rev range. What I am saying is that the motor is so tractable.
This morning my wife asked why the saddle is so low. It was set on Low, so I adjusted it. Now the height is better :thumleft:. For the love of Mary I cannot see how many kms the bike has done. It is not part of the standard display?

Throttle blipping to help with gear changes, not the stalling.  I had my LC pre-software upgrade so I felt both setups.  No auto-throttle blipping and auto-throttle blipping.  Trust me.  It is about the gearbox.
Press "TRIP" button on handlebar until total km's comes up.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:31:12 am by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 09:39:27 am »

I love it!

Throttle blipping to help with gear changes, not the stalling.  I had my LC pre-software upgrade so I felt both setups.  No auto-throttle blipping and auto-throttle blipping.  Trust me.  It is about the gearbox.
Thanks The Bear for the feedback. Will try the TRIP button.
NS. Just wondering what the RHS pod will do to your shin on a Country Trax offroad training session. I was on one with a lot of riders end last year, but did not hear any serious complaints...

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 09:51:49 am »
nice write-up, Roodt  :thumleft:
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Noneking

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 12:36:51 pm »

I love it!

Thanks The Bear for the feedback. Will try the TRIP button.
NS. Just wondering what the RHS pod will do to your shin on a Country Trax offroad training session. I was on one with a lot of riders end last year, but did not hear any serious complaints...

I suppose that if you're not used to the boxer's pods, they may initially seem to be an obstacle, but having ridden boxers for more than 16 years, last 3 years fairly technical off road riding including BMW advanced courses and several red and black routes at events , I have never bumped a shin on a pod. Only time a pod was ever in the way was in a deep and narrow gully where pods got caught on side and I could not go forward.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 12:41:54 pm »
 I have never bumped a shin on a pod.

Neither have I.
I think one has to just put your foot strait down. Not forward and down.
If a man like LMG can ride a boxer and still have shins anyone can without banging them. ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Noneking

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 04:57:40 pm »
I have never bumped a shin on a pod.

Neither have I.
If a man like LMG can ride a boxer and still have shins anyone can without banging them. ;)

It's also worth mentioning that no other big bike  picks up as easily when fallen over as a boxer motor bmw.  Those pods have at least 1 advantage  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:58:18 pm by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 09:02:12 pm »
Neither have I.

I did a lot on my first GS, especially during the first week or so.  Now, I cannot remember when last I did.  You get used to it and avoid them.

Then there is Takashi!  I think he bumped his calves blue against the fronts of the pods!   :lol8:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:58:51 am by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 08:59:03 am »
So, I had to hand back the LC's keys yesterday afternoon as my F800GS was ready for collection. My first impression back on my 800?: It fits me like a glove! The technician who test drove it thought the suspension was lifted. I did upgrade the front and rear suspension (the rear has a 20% stiffer spring, which allows for less initial sag), but the suspension's combination with the beaded seat and tilted handlebars most probably creates the impression.

First impression pulling away on the 800? The throttle is a bit dead. But what can you expect after the lightning fast response of the LC? It is really fast. The advice to ride with an extended right hand pointing finger leaning on the brake lever is very important when riding the LC. Perhaps this is the problem with the LC: it gains speed at such a tempo that life becomes a blur. One will do 120 before you can think, and this is not a good thing in Stellenbosch with its speed cameras and slow traffic. On the LC 180 becomes the new 140, and life goes past in a blur. On the 800 one can enjoy the scenery, and still go fast. You can feel the "power band" kicking in at 6000 rpm and marvel at the bike picking up speed, hear the exhaust note rising and savor the power pouring on.

The LC is so fast - it gains speed so quickly that you don't realize it - only when glancing at the deceptive speedo you realize how fast you are really going - and everything becomes a blur. Apart from breaking the law all the time, one's relative speed to other traffic makes it, well, dangerous as there is NO margin for error. Make no mistake: the new LC is an incredible feat of engineering and a riveting ride: when it is going so fast, it feels planted and inspires extreme confidence in handling and braking. The the problem is physics when having to suddenly respond to a situation, brake or swerve...

En route to Table View on the 800 I took the Klipheuwel road and easily passed 180km/h on my F800, so it is not so slow as you think. The pleasure getting there is just so much more. The LC storms to 210km/h in a blink and then sits there, but by this time you have to start slowing down for traffic. With the 800 you can savor the experience and enjoy the addictive exhaust note.

Turning on to the Occultdale gravel road - it was wet after rains, I knew why I love the 800. It felt at home on the gravel and inspired confidence in its own way. It put a smile on my face, wanting me to to play.

So in short, the BMW R1200GS LC is an incredible bike, but extremely fast, which is not always a good thing. It can be ridden sedately, but a slip of the wrist will instantly blur the scenery. The 800 does it a tad slower - psychologically it is in fact much easier to ride it slower - without getting left behind as it is still a long distance eater and very competent dirt bike alike. What the BMW F800GS does well is that it allows your senses the opportunity to savor the experience.

NS. The F800GS's handlebars are +-5 cm narrower and a bit higher from the ground than that of the LC, which makes it just a tad easier to lane split.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:08:51 am by Jacobsroodt »

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 09:04:06 am »
Jens Lyck from BoosterPlug remarked:
Thanks for the nice and detailed review on the R1200GSLC.

We have the usual very good feedback from all owners of bikes with the new water cooled boxer. In stock form its running better than the old air/oil cooled boxer, but there is still room for improvement with the BoosterPlug installed, as BMW can never make the bike run perfect within the current emission regulations.

And yes, the blipping on low RPM downshifts are there to avoid lean mixture stalls. Ride by wire will probably soon be a must for all bikes with small flywheel effect.

Like you, I actually prefer the F800GS over the R1200. I like low weight, and I really dont like the telelever with the disconnected feel for what the front tire is doing below you. Yes - the ride is plush and comfortable with the telelever, but I dont like the lack of feel and feedback from the front end.

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:12 am »
Very nice review :thumleft:

I absolutely love my trophy, best bike I have had... I do not miss my 800 at all ;D

For me, the 1200 GS is:
1. Easier to pick up
2. Easier to lube the chain  ::)
3. Easier to fix a puncture
4. Easier to get speeding tickets  :ricky:
4. Easier to put a smile on my face!
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro