Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 Explorer or LC?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • The I was like braaaap!
1200 Explorer or LC?
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:32:23 pm »
Ive had 2x GS800 and an 07 GS1200.
Current 14 Duke 690 will turn into on of the following:

The LC was ugly at first but has grown on me since they came out in 2013 and lets face it, its a BM :ricky:
The explorer on the other hand is a thing of beauty and she is calling me.  And boy oh boy the sound of these triumphs with a pipe. . .
But I cannot get my head around the claimed dry weights of these machines!

LC 209kg
Xplorer 259kg

Do they feel 50kg different?  Is there any reason I shouldn't look at an explorer?  Im also thinking that im buying cash and as long as I dont take a knock I could always convert if I dont like?

Also not in a hurry, duke will hit 10K km in the next month or so and then to keep FSH she will get her service and then go on sale.
Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: 1200 Explorer or LC?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »
Consider the resale value as well.
I love the Triumphs, they turning out some good stuff, but
not getting what I would expect when they get sold.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:48:24 pm »
Consider the resale value as well.
I love the Triumphs, they turning out some good stuff, but
not getting what I would expect when they get sold.

I hear you but considering what you can pick up for around 120K its massive bargain if the 1st owner took the bumrush on your behalf!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:42:07 pm »
well the new explorer came third at the bike of the year.
I still cant get much info on the new triumph and it seems like you are looking at a R120k price range...then I vote LC and I vote it by far. I have a friend which traded his 1200 triumph for an LC first time he did gravel and is very happy.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
And boy oh boy the sound of these triumphs with a pipe. . .

Last week a client dropped by with his 1200 Truimph. He was in a hurry as he still had a ways to got.
Turning out our gate he wacked it. What a sound as you say!!!! That can get one in trouble!! :eek7: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 07:00:57 pm »
I still cant get much info on the new triumph and it seems like you are looking at a R120k price range...then I vote LC and I vote it by far. I have a friend which traded his 1200 triumph for an LC first time he did gravel and is very happy.

For "the one" I will fork out up to 150K but sureAF not paying 150K for an LC that already has 35K + clicks on the clock!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:43:34 pm »

For "the one" I will fork out up to 150K but sureAF not paying 150K for an LC that already has 35K + clicks on the clock!

You currently have an 800 so you like gravel? (but I dont see offroad tyres...)
If you going to do a bit of gravel you not gonna be happy if you choose a previous generation Tiger over an LC. its no contest.

you should be able to get an LC for R150k with about 20k km on. a few extras and fullhouse. There is nice LC adventure options on the forum for R165k.

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 08:29:55 pm »
I love the tigers both 800 and more so the 1200 but there maintenance costs are horrendous + lack of dealers in kzn put me off.
Pass this way once!

Offline Manic

• CE
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:36 pm »

New 1200 Explorer.

Heated Grips.
Cruise Control
Electric Adjust screen
Electronic Suspension.
Few more horses also
Rest I cant remember.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 11:09:29 pm »

New 1200 Explorer.

Heated Grips.
Cruise Control
Electric Adjust screen
Electronic Suspension.
Few more horses also
Rest I cant remember.

Of the mentioned only the electronic windscreen is only found on the tiger.
But further the new tiger also has cornering abs and a cornering TC or stability control or something due to some fancy new gyro thingy. I just watched a magazine review of it on youtube, the guy loved, did not rate previous tiger anywhere and could not say in the en whether he wil take the new tiger above the LC. Its super heavy so I guess it comes back to taste, how much gravel you will actually do and dealer support.

But if you love it, get it. When you do not look back at your vehicle of choice when parked somewhere you bought the wrong vehicle

Also. Just saw a 2015 LC with topbox and 10k km on advertised for r150k on a facebook group. So they are out there.

Offline 1190

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:01:52 am »

New 1200 Explorer.

Heated Grips.
Cruise Control
Electric Adjust screen
Electronic Suspension.
Few more horses also
Rest I cant remember.

And WP suspension :thumleft: R215k new.... old stock 160k new
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 08:54:44 am »
At 160k the old model is a bargain but there have been exstensive upgrades done to the motor (Apparently) and the new one is supposed to be infinately better with all the first generation issues being ironed out
Pass this way once!

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 09:12:28 am »

You currently have an 800 so you like gravel? (but I dont see offroad tyres...)
If you going to do a bit of gravel you not gonna be happy if you choose a previous generation Tiger over an LC. its no contest.

you should be able to get an LC for R150k with about 20k km on. a few extras and fullhouse. There is nice LC adventure options on the forum for R165k.

Profile has not been updated.  Bumble bee was my 1st DS so she stays as Avatar. Currently own a duke so also Road tyres only :ricky:
I will probably do 20% dirt, in summer I will do 12KM commute and maybe 1 outing a month stretching the legs a bit, nothing serious adventure planned in the near future.

Saw a 2016 Tiger for 150K, thats probably the old spec then?

Im going to KZN this weekend and my mates dad has a 14'Tiger with 52K km on the clock.  Ill take it for a spin! And let you guys know how my experience compares to my 06/07 1200 GS

Offline cheesy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
I would consider, After sales service country wide and Parts availability. right now you cannot beat the B M W.
B T W there are some amazing deals on new B M W's.
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:37 am »
You have any details Cheesy?

Rode the Explorer on Sunday maaaaaan whatabaaik! :drif: :drif: :drif:

I am very tempted!

Offline jangys

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:01 am »
I upgraded from a 2013 Explorer to the recent 1200 XCA Explorer. The Triumph Explorers can hold their own against any of the other DS bikes, the only difference between the lot, is personal decision. The reason for staying with Triumph, not only a very capable bike on and off-road, but also great value for money. Best value for money in the DS segment according to my opinion.

A picture of my 2013 Explorer.

I did a lot of gravel travel with the 2013 model, technical stuff with gravel highway touring. No problems what so ever with the bike. The bike is heavy on paper yes, but on the roll, it feels like any other big DS bike.

A picture on my 2016 XCA.

Differences between the old and new:

- I had to buy an aftermarket high screen to sort the wind on the old, new comes with electronic adjustable screen which is suburb.
- OEM bashplate is standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- Heated Grips Standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- Spotlights standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- Adventure footpegs standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- TPMS standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- Linked front and rear braking standard on the XCA
- ABS standard on both
- TCS standard on both
- Cornering ABS standard on the XCA
- WP Electronic Suspension Standard on the XCA, old bike was normal manual adjustable
- Auto Suspension Leveling standard on the XCA
- 5 Riding modes standard on the XCA, previous has no riding mode selection
- Adventure pannier frames standard on the XCA
- Crash bars standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- Heated Seats standard on the XCA, optional on the old.
- Handguards standard on the XCA, optional on the old.

Maintenance costs on these bikes is not expensive. The comment made that maintaining the triumphs is expensive, is unfounded. Dealer support is also good. My dealer sorted me with a tyre in the middle of a gravel road in the eastern freestate without any issues.

Compare any DS bike out there for price on the extras supplied as standard on the XCA, you will end up paying over R250k for it with the accessories. Go ride them all and decide for yourself.

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:51 am »
"Do they feel 50kg different?"

If you had to pick them up, yes. When riding it would depend on how they built. I once rode a XT1200Z for a day. I could not believe how 'light' it felt. Like riding my 660Z.

I had a 1200GSA for a while. It looked heavy, was heavy and felt heavy.

I know have a 1150GSA. It is heavy, does not feel light when you ride it, but it plants itself on the ground, which for me makes it a nice re-assuring bike to ride.

So the ergonomics of them all are different and suit different riders. YOU have to ride it and feel how good it is for you.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 01:57:46 pm »
It did not feel 50KG heavier at all, super comfy and got tons of power!  Value for money I would have to agree.
Im pretty strong so picking her up also does not bother me.

This one here has just over 50clicks on the clock.  2 problems only since new! 
1. Alternator stopped charging - Sorted out under warranty without any hassle
2. Clutch slave cylinder leaked/broke - Also sorted under warranty

They offered 100K on trade at dealership but his bike is almost paid off so he said will rather keep it for another 50K km and then buy something else.

Sorry for bad pics, squashed quality when mailed to my laptop.

Offline spaltmrj

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 09:12:04 am »
Hi, I ride a 1st generation TEX... done Die Hel and numerous Cederburg trips aswell Tankwa Karoo...no problems. The bike is a pleasure as long as you ride within its capabilities,  it is a big heavy bike and you need to keep this in mind when traversing  sandy or loose rocky tracks..It is more road orientated than the GS. The Triumph Explorer brings a smile to my face every time I ride...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline Bullet

• 1190 Adventure, 500 EXC-F (6 Day), 250 XC-W
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 10:29:53 am »
Hi, I ride a 1st generation TEX... done Die Hel and numerous Cederburg trips aswell Tankwa Karoo...no problems. The bike is a pleasure as long as you ride within its capabilities,  it is a big heavy bike and you need to keep this in mind when traversing  sandy or loose rocky tracks..It is more road orientated than the GS. The Triumph Explorer brings a smile to my face every time I ride...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
You are right about the Explorer being a "big heavy bike". My mate and I each used one for a weekend when we were considering trading up our 800XCs. I was very happy with it until I parked on a slight decline. I had to pull the bike back up and out of the parking when I left. I nearly ended up with a hernia. That bike is flipping heavy. even heavier than a GSA. I bought an 1190 and my mate bought an Explorer. First trip away together we went into a dirt corner together and despite being on the same line at the same speed, my 1190 cruised around the bend and the explorer cruised straight into the rocks and bush. It was written off. The mate replaced his Explorer with a 1190 Adventure and is happy as pig in sh!+ now.

My afterthoughts, the Explorer is great on tar, similar performance to a 1190, lekker in a straight line in the dirt, but difficult to turn or stop in the dirt - tooooo heavy.       
B120, Cub200, KDX175, YZ125, XT250, XR600, XR400, GG EC250, XT600, XT660, 200XC-W, 990Adv, 250XC-W, 640Adv, 250XC-W, 800XC, 690Adv,Montessa250, 1190Adv, Beta300Evo2, NC700X, 1050Adv, 250XC-W, 500EXC-F