Vstrom 650 ABS new and old vs F650GS vs F800GS vs Transalp ABS... Tiger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omninorm

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure
I did search on this site regarding these bikes but I could not find what i was looking for.
Now I might be a bit out of my element but I'm going to post it anyway, maybe I can get some general advice.

I currently ride a Transalp XL700V. it's a brilliant bike. It does the commute, it's comfortable and it handles gravel roads and a little sand well. I haven't done much more than that. I also feel the performance is good enough form me. I can maybe do with a few KW extra but that is not too important for me.
I guess I'm on Wilddog because I share the interest of the adventure type bikes and love to read about the trips etc.
I don't post a lot but I lurk here a lot. (Daily :) )

So when I got my bike I bought it as a friend had it at a bargain and I knew the history of the bike. Before I got it my wife was quite uncertain about this whole biking thing but we discussed the safety and non safety aspects etc. I reassured her that I will be as safe as possible. Hence the ABS discussion was introduced.
The other day after I had a bit of a skid... did not come off, the ABS thing reared it's head again.
So now I'm on the lookout for an ABS bike.

I don't go offroad much but I always plan to do some trips but honestly truth be told I spend 95% on road commuting and maybe 5% on gravel. Mostly alone maybe with one other mate.
Thing is I don't want a pure street bike for that 5% and I like the comfort of the more relaxed Alp for the 2up rides around along the coast.

So now the questions.
I'm looking at these bikes with ABS, and I am going to go test ride them all in the coming few weeks.

Suzuki Vstrom 650  OLD shape or NEW shape
A few ABS models to be had In the old shape all of the new ones have ABS.

+ The fuel consumption seems great
+ Reliable? From what I read these are basically as good as the Alp.
+ Good engine
+ Comfortable 2 up
+ Nice wind protection
+ New one not too bad looking
+ Probably better on the road than my Alp
+ Tubeless tyres

- Old one.. uglyish... Although the more i look at it the nicer it looks.
- Offroad probably the least capable of the lot?
- Needs lots of protection for oil filter
- Can't disable the ABS offroad. <- maybe one can pull the fuse?

BMW F800GS

+ Looks HAWT
+ 50/50 on/offroad
+ Good suspension
+ Weight distribution better than Strom as tanks are below seat.
+ lots of farkle
+ Can disable ABS offroad

- 21" Wheel in traffic
- Parts and Reliability? To me it seems that there is always something here. You either have Zero issues or you have a few issues.
- Not sure I will use the offroad that much
- 2 up seems a bit lacking
- price (Not bad though as one gets a bit more capability)

BMW F650GS

+ Great fuel consumption
+ Looks relatively good
+ Weight distribution
+ handling on road seems very good apparently
+ 80% on / 20% offroad?
+ Can disable ABS offroad
+ Tubeless tyres

- That front forks ... Ive seen horror pics. Why so tiny. Do they really break?
- 2 up seems a bit cramped?
- Parts and Reliability? Same as F800 not sure here. Don't know anyone with a BMW except the GS1200 which is a bit of a different animal.
- Low seat?

Transalp with ABS

+ Reliable
+ Can offroad a bit
+ Can disable ABS
+ Comfortable
+ The sound
+ handling in wind is great.

- 5 gears
- Tubed tyres

On the fringe here for me is the Triumph Tiger 800 - NON XC - but to me it will be a risk buy. Only 1 dealer in the Cape. I probably will have to buy new so a bit on the expensive side. I'm looking to spend at least 10K less in actual fact out the door. But i sat on it and it feels awesome. I might have to own it for years.
My worry is mechanical support / dealer network etc.

Out of all these bikes my head says Transalp.
My gut says new shape VStrom.
My eyes says go with the F800GS
My heart desires the Tiger 800.
Then my justification sets in and I'm back Alp or Strom.

They could be seen as this:

Transalp = The slightly overweight girl that meets you at the door with a kiss and a beer and always seems to just go with the flow.
F800GS = The supermodel, great legs, kinda quick to temper, but turns heads when she arrives at a party. Maybe gets drunk a little too often.
F650GS =  The little bit uglier sister of the Supermodel. Might want to please you trying to live up to Supermodel sister. Hence, maybe gets a bit drunk too often.
VStrom =The girl thats not a super model nor as perky but has a certain sex appeal and you love that smile and twinkle in the eyes.
Triumph Tiger = Liz Hurley. - Why did Hugh Grant cheat on her with THAT!?

What I keep on thinking is that if I really want to go play in the dirt I can go get a cheap KLR/DR and go play and not worry.

Any advice given the type of riding I do? :)