Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ Lisencing problems! Please help!  (Read 961 times)

Offline super ten

DRZ Lisencing problems! Please help!
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »
Recently bought a very well looked after DRZ from an outoppie, fully licensed etc. Take it for roadworthy, passed flying colours, went next day to get it reg on my name. All good, but they cant issue me with a license disc!!!
Apparently the "new system" introduced sometime in 2012, declared my E model as an off road bike. ( If had knew this beforehand, I would have come to an agreement with the outoppie to ride it on his name.) I cannot do that anymore, as the bike is on my name. How can a bike previously legal, now be illegal for road use?

Made numerous phone calls etc, everyone does not know what to do. I have to write a letter to Milnerton licensing authority( must admit, they are helpful) and state my case and see what happens.

Other info that I had found out, is drz is off road, the drz s is duel sport and the drz e is off road in America. When the e was brought in, it was fitted with roadworthy requirements like rectifier, clocks, light, indicators etc. Then it was classified as roadworthy and put on the eNATIS system.

I also went onto another blog and people gave some advice, stating that its bullshit! However, I noticed one guy mentioning that someon the WD forum managed to sort this out.

Can someone please advise on the procedure to follow, as I cannot even sell the bike( dont want to)

Deon Weyers
Too much of a good thing is LEKKER!
XT 500 Yamaha XTZ 750 GS 800 DRZ 400 XR 650
XR 200 XR250

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: DRZ Lisencing problems! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »
Year model?

The NATIS codes are different for the year models and the NATIS code decides if you get a disk or not.
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline BSAfrica

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »
Strange, registered 2004 model earlier this year, no problem

Offline super ten

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
2002 model! first registration. The change of ownership in 2004/5 again, from the person whom I bought it from.

So, technically, all drz's should therefore be then pulled off the road, as they are illegal and all the license monies paid by owners must be paid back to these owners. I think some poephol decided to make this decision without thinking about it. I have been requested by my Milnerton branch to submit an email stating all facts and they would then lodge the issue with Provincial admin/legislation.

I kindly request from anyone familiar with the system and past experiences to provide me with some concrete info to state a better case. Please guys/gals, I don't give up that easy and is gatvol for our current system. Genoeg is genoeg!

Deon
XR 200 XR250

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:16:16 pm »
Hey, stick with it for now and follow the lead given by the licensing dept. I've never heard of this before.

Only occasion I know of here on the forum is when Alan changed the status of his XT660 Z, from a 1 person to 2 person bike, before I bought it from him. That was also a Natis mistake classifying them as non-pillion bikes.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline super ten

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:03:35 pm »
Dankie ou broer, waardeer jou input. Miskien moet ek dit verander van 2 seater na 1 seater toe!

Bertus Meyer het my lead gegee van roadworthy stasie hier innie Kaap, wat per brief vertoe gerig het en selfde dag nog sy roadworthy gekry het. Sal more verder baklei.
XR 200 XR250

Offline 1190

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 06:45:20 am »
Ive heard of guys converting a WR450 to be roadworthy?....Just bring it down to the eastern cape...last week I did the roadworthy on a bike I bought guy asked me to put the windscreen wipers on :imaposer:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline super ten

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 07:22:08 am »
Hahaaa! Must have been an 1190 ATM !

If I decide to bring DRZ to EC, might as well go make a turn at Nkandla and turn up the lawn with my nobblies! Of ry sommer paar hoenders plat!
XR 200 XR250

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:31 am »
2002 model! first registration. The change of ownership in 2004/5 again, from the person whom I bought it from.

So, technically, all drz's should therefore be then pulled off the road, as they are illegal and all the license monies paid by owners must be paid back to these owners. I think some poephol decided to make this decision without thinking about it. I have been requested by my Milnerton branch to submit an email stating all facts and they would then lodge the issue with Provincial admin/legislation.

I kindly request from anyone familiar with the system and past experiences to provide me with some concrete info to state a better case. Please guys/gals, I don't give up that easy and is gatvol for our current system. Genoeg is genoeg!

Deon

Give Suzuki SA a shout and ask them regarding your bike if it is the on/off road version and the correct NATIS code, they are helpful 0119741200

Maybe the NATIS code is incorrect in the system.  Then Mrs Bell at Western Cape Government can assist amending the NATIS code if it is incorrect

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:33:24 am »
my drz (love love love it ) ..3 model road worthy and registred etc but 5 years ago and I was I think 3rd or even 4th owner ..... I did read somewhere here previously of someone having problems to register a drz400 but cant remember if e or one of other..search in drz threads
fornicate the proletariat

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:38:05 am »
my drz (love love love it ) ..3 model road worthy and registred etc but 5 years ago and I was I think 3rd or even 4th owner ..... I did read somewhere here previously of someone having problems to register a drz400 but cant remember if e or one of other..search in drz threads

It was me (old forum name dpmza).....and that was a 2001 model.  Natis code was the issue, long long story

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:32 pm »

It was me (old forum name dpmza).....and that was a 2001 model.  Natis code was the issue, long long story

Did you get sorted?
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 04:32:33 pm »

Did you get sorted?

Yep

Offline super ten

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 06:39:33 am »
Ouens! Went to a roadworthy station in Durbanville. The oke was extremely helpful. Pointed out that on the reg form it says DRZ 400 enduro. The enduro must be removed from the system. I filled in a form with the guys that supplied me the roadworthy, stating that the cycle is full road version. Now I have to take all papers to CPA in city centre and wait until they do the change on the system.
Will keep you guys updated.
XR 200 XR250

Offline super ten

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 09:05:09 am »
Finally got the DRZ license disc sorted out! Will post more details soon and hopefully be able to assist someone in the future.
XR 200 XR250

Offline super ten

Re: DRZ Lisencing problems! Final outcome!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 10:00:42 pm »
Those that have been following, here's the procedure:

I contacted Suzuki head office, spoke to Errol, he gave me an official letter stating what the actual eNATIS code must be according to their records. Also, the traffic dept required an official importers reg document from Suzuki, which I got from Errol as well.. Handed everything in and waited about a week for the license disc to be issued. There are 3 codes for DRZ'S, OFF ROAD, ON/OFF ROAD AND MOTARD VERSIONS.
ANYONE HAS PROBLEMS LIKE THIS, DONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Now for some real stuff, I am looking for a 20L tank for the DRZ. Anyone has one to sell?
XR 200 XR250