Hi, Old Newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
For about 6 months I have been “perving” on the forum and enjoyed it very much.  I realise that it was somewhat rude, not to introduce myself, but here I am now.  The interaction amongst members looks great and I would like to be part of it.

My name is Hennie (don’t know if anyone who saw my username would have guessed wrong) and I’m from Durbanville.  It took decades for me to buy a motorbike.  First I waited for the “pantoffelregering” to fall and then the career path to end.  In hindsight, absolutely stupid and feeble excuses!

Towards the end of 2015 I bought a BMW F650GS (2005 model) with the idea to “get my eye in” and then upgrade to a bigger and newer bike.  My biking experience prior to this was limited to my Honda 50 cc Super Sport and a Honda 125 cc (G-something, I forgot) when I was a youngster.

My first trip was to Swellendam, with about 20 km gravel road.  The bike felt a bit unstable, but I thought I just had to get used to it.  I almost bought a piece of the farm road when my front wheel caught a sand patch.  You would not believe how acrobatic an old toppie can be!  I saw my boot passing my ear twice in an attempt to keep the bike up.

Back home, friend Keith K suggested I get the neck bearing and tyre checked out.  Off to Alfred, the BMW expert and yes, the neck bearing was shot.  The front tyre was worn uneven and after these two replacements, the big vibrator was much better.

Now I’m no longer considering replacement of the GS.  I must just practice the dirt roads as I realise that the nicest places are off tar.  Keith, with his monster KTM 990, likes the dirt roads at high speed, but he is kind to keep to tar when we ride.