Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bronze qualifier 2017  (Read 2846 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Bronze qualifier 2017
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
What was the nature of the route, looks like it was quite a fast one from the times , 100 kms in 4 hours ?

Only the top guys would have done it in 4+hrs - average rider more like 6-7 hours. From all accounts the route was fair and suitably demanding with a few proper Roof passes in the mix. Only 160 entrants finished which is like half the field and sounds right to me. One wants to eliminate the bucket list once a month weekend warriors.

Well done to Edgy's and Great Dane's 16 year old lighties who were well into the top third finishers.  :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: 
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »
What was the nature of the route, looks like it was quite a fast one from the times , 100 kms in 4 hours ?
Quite the opposite Sithe,  it was 70km long and the most technical of all the qualifiers to date.
It took me 7hours 15min to complete and I finished 127th.
I have realized though that I am past my "sell by date" to do the Roof. :'(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:20:39 pm by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:51 pm »
Well done Losper - I am sure you have another Roof in the tank  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DjfLoYd

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 09:21:14 pm »
Well done, Losper. Legendary stuff to have made it.
I managed to complete the 1st loop in 6 and a half hours
but that was all I had in me.

Toughest day of my life with many, many lessons learnt
but an experience I will never forget and I will certainly try again next
year (with a bucket load more practice first).

Big shout out to Drewmarx - thanks for the helping hand there near the end (last 5km or so).
I fell over just behind him and my foot got pinned under the bike. Was proper stuck.
I tried to find you at the pits to say thanks but between my exhaustion and delusional
state I ended up as a heap of tired, clutched-out human in the back of my crew car.

Also for what it's worth (don't know if he is on the forum) but a gent called Kenny (sp), from PE I think,
gave me some water there at the end (I had run out with about 4km to go). Big thanks for that!

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
Quite the opposite Sithe,  it was 70km long and the most technical of all the qualifiers to date.

What you mean then, you won't enter in November  :o. What was the problem, fitness ?

What passes were included in the route ?

I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline edgy

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:55 am »
Some cell phone pics I took, was a lovely day weather wise for the event and for a change was also well organised :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:55 am »
It was my first race in 5 years, with two knee ops and very little riding in between. Happy with my 31st. Just kak sore today

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Offline edgy

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 08:37:51 am »
It was my first race in 5 years, with two knee ops and very little riding in between. Happy with my 31st. Just kak sore today

Thats an awesome result! :thumleft:
Tristan and Taylor were riding together all the way until right at the base of Bushmans Tristan hooked a right and lost a lot of positions, Taylor came in 24th
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 08:52:58 am »

Wow! That's an extremely impressive result if you haven't been riding much. The top 50 (and more) in Bronze aren't loitering around...

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 09:31:45 am »
Thanks. It has changed quite a bit since 2012!

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:35 am »
The bronze has become a very competitive sub-event with riders who could arguably be silver contenders.

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
Howzit Chaps,

Qualifier was tough, lived up to the name of MOTHER of HARD ENDURO! DjfLoYd, you are most welcome, was fun riding the last few KM's with you guys!

I also only managed one loop, lost my front break because of a bent disc half way through the first loop and I basically crawled and scraped and kicked my bike down the passes, uphills were much nicer to me and didn't the front break that much. Will be back next year to give it a bash!

I think they made it purposefully tough to ensure that there aren't as many mishaps as last year. The guys that qualified this year are strong and fit and CAN ride a dirt bike that's for sure! Congratulations to all the competitors who took part and a special congratulations to all those that qualified!

Will definitely come and support you guys at the end of the year and lend a helping hand where I can!

Kind Regards

Drew
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:03 am »
I have to say this. The organisers ran a flawless event, from all that I could see. 10/10 for the entering process, documentation, communication, GPS coordinates, route markings, the route itself, timing, pits, the starting grid etc, etc. Well done!

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 11:17:31 am »
What you mean then, you won't enter in November  :o. What was the problem, fitness ?
What passes were included in the route ?
Sithe, yes I doubt very much that I will enter the Roof. One needs to be extremely fit ( especially if you 50years old ) and with my long working hours I find it impossible to get time to do fitness training.
The other concern is the costs involved. I can do 15 fun rides in Lesotho for less than the cost of the actual Roof.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:18:15 am by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline DjfLoYd

• Pack Dog
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »
Losper,  any chance you can look at loop 1 and comment on what the passes names were?
I'd love to have a record of what passes I did on that loop for future reference.

I know for example on loop 2 they did Belecome and Bushmens.

Thanks dude and, again, congrats. At 50 that is some good riding!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 01:46:46 pm »
Thanks. It has changed quite a bit since 2012!

No doubt the Bronze is the old Silver.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »
I have to say this. The organisers ran a flawless event, from all that I could see. 10/10 for the entering process, documentation, communication, GPS coordinates, route markings, the route itself, timing, pits, the starting grid etc, etc. Well done!

I am pleased they have caught a wake up. Things had slid (excuse the pun) very badly over the past few years. I was worried that the mere slap on the wrist by MSA may not have been enough incentive to make meaningful changes. Lets hope ROA stay with the program.  :3some:

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 02:51:36 pm »
Losper,  any chance you can look at loop 1 and comment on what the passes names were?
I'd love to have a record of what passes I did on that loop for future reference.
DjfLoYd,  none of the passes on Loop 1 was big enough ( technical enough ) to be named, so a far as I know they are not named yet but I think a lot of riders are gonna do training on that loop in the future so I will not be surprised if one or two of those "technical" sections are named.
The other reason is that there are only 7 Basutu huts in the immediate area of Loop1, so no Basutho names either. ( Btw, I slept in one of those huts a few years ago when daylight ran out)
The section along the waterfall is just know as "The Waterfall"

Offline DjfLoYd

• Pack Dog
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 08:41:12 pm »
Shweet! Thanks.
I've got tons of names for most of that loop 1, none of which are polite
and fit to print here.  :lol8:

DjfLoYd,  none of the passes on Loop 1 was big enough ( technical enough ) to be named, so a far as I know they are not named yet but I think a lot of riders are gonna do training on that loop in the future so I will not be surprised if one or two of those "technical" sections are named.
The other reason is that there are only 7 Basutu huts in the immediate area of Loop1, so no Basutho names either. ( Btw, I slept in one of those huts a few years ago when daylight ran out)
The section along the waterfall is just know as "The Waterfall"

Offline Epilot

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 07:58:13 am »
Well done to all who qualified, seems as if the organizers got it right this time. Will be interesting to see how much tougher the race will be.