Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: dont 'gel' with the bike  (Read 4154 times)

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
Re: dont 'gel' with the bike
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 08:09:01 am »
I'm in this space currently 2017 GSA LC but what do you buy ??

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 10:42:12 am »
I'm in this space currently 2017 GSA LC but what do you buy ??

Well there is sometimes a reason that you deep down know why you don't gel.
Guessing here but when I took the GS LC for a ride I was like, yeah this is awesome, then i thought the GSA might be amazing, nope...didn't Gel with me at all, too heavy too bulky too massive.

So...ask yourself why don't you Gel with it...take it for a ride and do some corners some accelerations etc.  You will know why yu dont then. Then look for a bike that doesnt do that.
For me the Honda NC750X DCT for instance. Awesome commuter, more than people say it is, great bike on all accounts....just.......nothing. I just felt nothing.
No Passion, No Drama, Nothing bad, nothing fantastic except fuel economy.  So yeah, for me i guess the not gelling was there was no emotional attachment if you want to put it that way. Same for my Transalp. It was a good solid bike. Never miss it.
I forgot we had a XR150 as well... Meh.
Maybe it's a Honda thing.

The Vstrom and the F800GS different story.  F800GS is very....German. Not a lot of character but man...did I enjoy that bike. It's an amazing bike imho.
The Vstrom, the engine ....that engine. Vtwin, smooth as silk gearbox, comfort. It's so much better than what people see from looking at it.
The 1200GS LC, I don't know. It just felt solid, powerful, balanced and imho has charachter with that Boxer engine. It also grows and grows on me since it does everything. Commuting, long tar trips, gravel trips, 1 up, 2 up, go get stuff from a shop throw it on the back rain shine wind. Puncture? Plug it, carry on.  It's just a tank.

I think I will REALLY fall in love with the KTM 1090 imho but yeah.

Go ride it out :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:04:15 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 11:02:21 am »
The 1150 GSA was what made me sit up and take notice of adventure bikes again a good few years ago.  I probably look at everyone that is offered here for sale.  So last year ChrisL gave me a heads up of a very nice one for sale near Mossel Bay.  Went and took it for a ride.  To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement.  Yes,I know one cannot really gel with a bike in an hour long test ride but it was quirky and I couldn't see myself spending money on it.

I was quite disappointed that this adventure icon was such a let down.
'Tis the time’s plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 11:24:04 am »

Online Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 11:31:38 am »
adventure icon

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Ja I hear what you're saying but I remember seeing this silver and red 1150 in Potchefstroom, panniers and the guy all kitted out and thinking "damn, I want to go do that right now."

Yes it's heavy and yes its all that a piggy is and yes Long Way round and all that stuff.  It's like a Land Rover Defender, piece of crap in reality (1150 GSA isn't) but the Defender has become the iconic overland adventure vehicle.

King Lear

Online Gerrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 11:35:23 am »
adventure icon

Ja I hear what you're saying but I remember seeing this silver and red 1150 in Potchefstroom, panniers and the guy all kitted out and thinking "damn, I want to go do that right now."

Yes it's heavy and yes its all that a piggy is and yes Long Way round and all that stuff.  It's like a Land Rover Defender, piece of crap in reality (1150 GSA isn't) but the Defender has become the iconic overland adventure vehicle.

The right bike is a matter of... "If I have to explain it, you wont understand in any case"  You just know, or not, when you ride it.

Offline Piet

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 11:37:02 am »
The 1150 GSA was what made me sit up and take notice of adventure bikes again a good few years ago.  I probably look at everyone that is offered here for sale.  So last year ChrisL gave me a heads up of a very nice one for sale near Mossel Bay.  Went and took it for a ride.  To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement.  Yes,I know one cannot really gel with a bike in an hour long test ride but it was quirky and I couldn't see myself spending money on it.

I was quite disappointed that this adventure icon was such a let down.
My first bike trip ever - my dad had just bought a 650 Versys, so he rented an 1150GS and off we went to the lowveld. That 1150 is still the heaviest, laziest bike I ever rode...I was quite disappointed. :-\

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:58 am »
I have one heavily modified KLR that I absolutely love. I've done 170 000+ km on it and still ride it every day. Then I have another KLR that I just don't gel with. It just doesn't do it for me. I should sell it, but I like the idea of owning at least 3 KLRs. The other one is a '08 and is just a KLR, nothing fancy.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 02:08:42 pm »
Like when I took the new Harley Breakout for a spin at SA Bike Festival......looks killer in flesh but once in the seat nothing happens...... ::) Then I took the MT10SP and WOW....... just "gelled" with me......... my kinda bike  :biggrin: :thumleft:

But then a different fellow will have the exact opposite reaction..... both great bikes but depends what talks to your inner being....... ;) ;D
Long live the Underdog.........

Online Tiger8

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
I have this relationship with my 950S, my mistress is a Psychopathic-Nymphomaniac-Supermodel...............you know she can kill you when you run out of talent, (and for me that is very quickly - more bike than rider  :biggrin:) BUT she wants to be ridden and is just soooooo damn sexy I can't keep away from her. I hear what some are saying about their bikes, we all have the same passion but different triggers, and each bike does different things for their owner.

I heard all the negative things about owning a KTM, but I don't care - and yet have to experience any of the "folk tale" problems. To you a different bike may ensorcel your soul, mind and imagination, that's cool, as long as it ignites your passion.

If your bike doesn't do it for you, and it is within your means to remedy the situation, go for it  :thumleft:

I don't care how old my PNS is, she does it for me and have eyes for no other.........................at this point in time  8) :lol8:

PS: If the Kate is my wild mistress, my Triumph 1050ST Sprint is an Elegant, Cultured Lady  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:05:45 pm by Tiger8 »
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2017, 05:25:51 pm »
 :sip: I now have the Tiger 800 xcx and really love it more than the xc I had before, it took me a while to bond with the 1996 Tenere 660, but I got used to it I will not sell it.
My "going to the shops" bike.
Bm's, I rode them all, ja well, rather not say anything.
The worst bike I had was the Yamaha Xs 400 twin, bought it new, I sold it to someone a year later, can't remember if I even got the money. ( the bike didn't give any problems) It was a chopper type with high handlebars, what a k@k ride.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline Lem

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2017, 06:07:49 pm »
ok so i am just not feeling the love with the 1150 adventure.
great bike overall, no question but the vibe just isnt there, so i am going to get the clutch issue sorted out and sell or perhaps swop the bike.
i do about 800km a week so i want to feel the love. have any of you felt this way as well?

I understand what you are referring to. Have you played around with the pig's suspension settings a bit? I have owned two GSAs and now a standard 1150GS. Also had a 650 Dakar & F800GS inbetween. On my 1150GSAs I have found the settings of middle front & middle rear perfect with a harder rear shock when I ride tar and then for dirt I would just adjust the screw it a little softer on the rear end as with lowering tyre pressures to around 2bar front & rear for gravel. If I went on gravel with hard pressures & hard rear shock then I would find the bike to twitchy for my liking. When I softened it up a bit and even set it higher in the front for gravel then I love the way it floates over gravel like a boat...but then it also feels rubbery on tar.

Even different brands of tyre could influence how the bike ride. I would for instance feel more confident on tar with say a Mitas than a Heidenau.

It's little things which makes you "gel" with it or not.  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 06:47:14 pm »
adventure icon

The Defender has become the iconic overland vehicle because it actually has iconic offroad ability. :ricky:

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 07:06:57 pm »
Ek gaan my mond hou want hierdie is nie 'n fred oor dinge wat breek nie.

King Lear

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »
Ek gaan my mond hou want hierdie is nie 'n fred oor dinge wat breek nie.

:imaposer: :thumleft:

Offline MellowJo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 07:17:53 am »
Yup, after being completely in love with my 1150GS,

........ so I bought a R1200S for commuting, what a disaster, I could not get used to the front rake and we just never gelled .....

SO I sold the 1200S and bought a R1200RT for commuting, much better but I do not like the bloody ABS ..... maybe I will remove the ABS ...
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 09:26:44 am »
When I first got my 1150 GS I didn't like it. Great cumbersome brute, I also thought we wouldn't gel.

Now after nine years, I'm beginning to see the good in it and I think maybe I'll keep it for a while.  :snorting:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Online Gerrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:26 am »
A couple of years ago Barrie from Kirkwood bought himself an 1150GSA. He did not like it and shortly sold it. A while back he bought himself another one, and loves it.

Our love affairs with our bikes are strange affairs indeed.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 10:18:57 am »
With bikers emotion over rides logic so much of the time. I long ago decided that I wouldn't ride my Pig on anything but the flattest and easiest of gravel. But still I harbour thoughts - if I had the money - of fitting a 21" front rim, some Wilbers GSA shocks, a Y piece to replace the cat and save weight  :imaposer: and getting rid of the ugly beak and making the front look like a proper motorbike.

Why.....?  I dunno....... ???
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.