We have been riding around the world for 7.5 years...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightcycle

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hello Wild Dogs!

My wife and I have been slowly wandering the world on motorcycles for the last 7.5 years (updated January 2020).

We're finally headed to South Africa! Instead of shipping our motorcycles, we've decided to buy a couple of used bikes locally and ride them north up the continent. I've found a wealth of information on the forum about how to register a bike as a tourist, so thanks for that!

This is us:

neda_gene-M.jpg

Here are a few questions that we have:

1) We're trying to decide whether to begin searching for motorcycles in Cape Town or Johannesburg. CT/Western Cape seems to be more populated, but Jo'burg/Gauteng seems to have more listings on Wild Dog and Gumtree. Is this true? Any opinions where we should base ourselves to go shopping?

2) Are there any motorcycle meets where bikers hang out, swap stories, drink and eat? We'd love to meet some local riders, get some information on things to see, roads to ride, safety considerations, etc. We'd be willing to do a slide-show presentation of our trip in return.

3) Is motorcycle gear more expensive in South Africa than in Europe? Should we stock up on stuff before coming down?

I'm sure there are more questions that will come up, but I'll ask these first, just for the sake of introducing ourselves.

If you're interested, we have a PhotoBlog of our journey so far at https://www.RideDOT.com

It's a bit behind -- the pitfalls of trying to write and travel at the same time. But it does get updated regularly!

Hoping to meet some of you and thanks in advance for any help and information!

Gene & Neda