Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Vibration in the Clutch Lever  (Read 497 times)

Offline Miracle_Salad

Vibration in the Clutch Lever
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:52 am »
Hey Peeps,

So I noticed the past week on my '17 GS LC Trophy(Done around 12000kms), that when letting out the clutch or pulling it in for that matter, usually around the clutch point, there is an odd vibration that occurs. Sometimes its quite strong other times barely noticeable.

I dont have to be using the accelerator either to feel it, but that being said, it occurs more frequently when downshifting or upshifting, then I can feel it most through the fingers.

Its sort of irritating as it did not do this before. My concern is that something is going to snap or break?

Is this perhaps an issue I should just take to the dealer or is it more like, a top up of clutch fluid or something less trivial. :eek7:

Any suggestions appreciated.
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline JABO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Centurion
Re: Vibration in the Clutch Lever
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:44 pm »
Does not sound normal at all.
I'd take it to the dealer too check out.
Even if it is as annoying as you say you will never be able to enjoy your ride fully.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
So took it into BMW Donford CT, they took it for a ride and came back saying there is definately something wrong.

They think it might be a warped clutch plate? But the bike has not as yet been offroad, I am a daily commuter? Its also only done around 11000kms ?

Do clutch plates normally warp this early on the 1200's? How much does a clutch plate cost to replace on the average?

They told me its not covered by warranty due to it being a "Wear and Tear" item...but would an item like this wear out in 10000kms?
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

Online OomD

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:06 am »
I've heard one or two reports of failed clutches before, but unless there's a lot of clutches failing its hard to quantify. I agree though that 10000km is way too early for clutch failures. Mine's on 32000km now and everything is still perfect.

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:56 pm »
Might be that the clutch springs (3 of them) has worn different and when the the clutch releases halfway it causes a shudder... or in my case the triangle type basket holder in front of the clutch somehow bent and forces the 3 springs off line when engaging the clutch...
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII
1985 Suzuki GSXR750 Preslingshot
1991 Suzuki GSXR1100M Slingshot

Offline JABO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Centurion
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:29:00 pm »
I did 40 000km with no issues.
But i had a quick shifter from the get go.
Surely the shifter will extend clutch life a lot as the clutch is permanent engaged and only used on pull off. 

Will be interested to know if the bikes fitted with shifters gives longer clutch life then those without.
How many shifts happening on average per 1000km?
Could be worth the investment to save on clutch wear.

Do you have one fitted or not?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Online TheBear

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:45 am »
Clutch wear is usually not covered by the warranty as it is a wear and tear item, like brake pads.  10 000km should in my opinion be covered as a clutch should not wear to a problematic level in such a short period.  My first LC sold at 65 000km with no clutch issues and the wife's is at 55 000km with no issues.  Neither bikes had Gear Shift Assist.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:08:44 am by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Aaklige Attie

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:56 am »
Would have a sit down with my dealer and try and discuss a way forward. Surely if it is abuse there will be signs showing the abuse. Long shot I know but well worth a try

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:44 am »
So an update to the issue I experienced.

Donford guys opened up the clutch housing etc, pulled everything out re-oiled it and put it back in. Only issue they noted was slight discoloration of the plates.

I am experiencing no further issues. In fact it feels like the gear changes are ALOT smoother and responsive. No more CLUNKING into gear.

I do have a gear shift indicator on my bike, whether that means there is a quick shifter installed im not sure.

Online OomD

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:12:07 am »

Donford guys opened up the clutch housing etc, pulled everything out re-oiled it and put it back in. Only issue they noted was slight discoloration of the plates.

I am experiencing no further issues. In fact it feels like the gear changes are ALOT smoother and responsive. No more CLUNKING into gear.

I do have a gear shift indicator on my bike, whether that means there is a quick shifter installed im not sure.
Now that's just totally confusing. Re-oiled it? It lubricated normally by the engine oil, no need to re-oil it? Unless you mean they replaced your engine oil  - which they would have to do if they opened the clutch anyway.

FIY the gearshift indicator itself is just for the most economical riding - it does not indicate the presence (or absence) of a quick shifter. You would know if you have a quick shifter, I guess, but if you think you may have one then chances are you don't.

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

Now that's just totally confusing. Re-oiled it? It lubricated normally by the engine oil, no need to re-oil it? Unless you mean they replaced your engine oil  - which they would have to do if they opened the clutch anyway.

FIY the gearshift indicator itself is just for the most economical riding - it does not indicate the presence (or absence) of a quick shifter. You would know if you have a quick shifter, I guess, but if you think you may have one then chances are you don't.
Yeah they said they relubricated everything and fit it back in?

No idea what they mean then :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 12:33:33 pm »
We were on our way to Geluksburg on Sunday and stopped at the Ultra city for a break. So guys on a variety of bikes also stopped for a bite and we started to chat to them. On of the guys on a 2013 LC was telling us of a similar problem he had at 17000 kms. But in his case it got worse and destroyed the clutch. What the agents found was that a nut on the clutch basket was not installed properly back in the BM factory. Not sure how this is possible but anyway the whole job was replaced under a factory claim. No problem since then. Not saying this is the same but let the agents check it again for peace of mind. Good luck.  :thumleft: