Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dropping your bike standing still  (Read 8606 times)

Offline Single Cylinder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
Re: Dropping your bike standing still
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »
Two types of bikers, those that have fallen over standing still and those that are still going to do it     :ricky:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
Two types of bikers, those that have fallen over standing still and those that are still going to do it     :ricky:
You're not a bijer until you've fallen at least once

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2018, 09:09:30 pm »
With in the first week of getting the Super Ténéré it's weight caught me out. In my driveway the bike started leaning over but I did not really pay attention. The XT 660R was easy to catch, not so much the 1200!  The crash bars lost some paint and I took a rolling tumble on the pavement.

Luckily nobody around to see.

With this now in the open I can ask a question that I previously couldn't.

Does the Super Ténéré engine cut off automatically when the bike in a horizontal position, because mine did?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yep. If it's fuel injected the pump is switched off to stop fuel flow in case off an accident. If the fuel line is cut in an accident the vehicle would pump out high pressure fuel.

Dunno if they do this yet on non EFI vehicles .........
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2018, 06:25:43 am »
Almost forgot about this one. Spot the rider

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:08:12 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2018, 07:28:18 am »
Stopped at Outdoor Warehouse one Saturday morning, bought something or another, went back to the GSA, parked on the side-stand.
Climbed on, flipped the stand up, started the bike, left foot slid on some loose gravel, sloooowwwly tipped over on the left, whilst foot was scrabbling for traction - nada....
Gently laid the Lump down, switched off the motor, put my sunglasses on, ignored the sniggering general public and proceeded with a text-book "back-to-the-saddle" pick up. Moved the bike forward and left.....
 :biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Ri

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2018, 09:43:06 am »
Strapping on luggage for my first long trip, I accidentally pulled the bike over 3 times.

Same trip, coming to top of Gysmanshoek Pass and shaking with adrenaline, didn't check camber of the road, kicked out side stand and hopped off the bike to take photo's. Queue slow-mo topple.

Same trip, completed perfect slow hairpin turn almost at crawling speed, gently let out the clutch only to find bike in 2nd gear. Bike to sudden standstill and I went flying over the handlebars :imaposer:

Same trip, coming off Malgas pontoon I rode and stopped next to my buddy on the tarmac, and put my feet down - except it was the edge where the tarmac had broken up, so I put one foot in a hole. Slow-mo toppled into buddy's Super Ten 1200, he was super unimpressed, luckily no damage.

One time, I had just pulled away from petrol pump when I saw something on the ground I had dropped. Came to a quick standstill, kicked out the side stand and hopped off the wrong side of the bike... in theory. I usually stand on the foot pegs to get off the bike to get short legs over seat/luggage, couldn't do it stepping off on the wrong side, foot stuck and bike followed me to the ground.

Latest incident: bike idling to warm up. Somehow side stand moved and next moment bike slowly toppled into wooden pole and slid down it like inept learner pole dancer.  ::)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2018, 11:43:51 am »
All I will say is a KTM falls well.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »
Dropped my R100RS the other day, still annoyed with my self. Oh well add to the things to do list of repairs to the fairing..
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2018, 06:26:01 pm »
Strapping on luggage for my first long trip, I accidentally pulled the bike over 3 times.

Same trip, coming to top of Gysmanshoek Pass and shaking with adrenaline, didn't check camber of the road, kicked out side stand and hopped off the bike to take photo's. Queue slow-mo topple.

Same trip, completed perfect slow hairpin turn almost at crawling speed, gently let out the clutch only to find bike in 2nd gear. Bike to sudden standstill and I went flying over the handlebars :imaposer:

Same trip, coming off Malgas pontoon I rode and stopped next to my buddy on the tarmac, and put my feet down - except it was the edge where the tarmac had broken up, so I put one foot in a hole. Slow-mo toppled into buddy's Super Ten 1200, he was super unimpressed, luckily no damage.

One time, I had just pulled away from petrol pump when I saw something on the ground I had dropped. Came to a quick standstill, kicked out the side stand and hopped off the wrong side of the bike... in theory. I usually stand on the foot pegs to get off the bike to get short legs over seat/luggage, couldn't do it stepping off on the wrong side, foot stuck and bike followed me to the ground.

Latest incident: bike idling to warm up. Somehow side stand moved and next moment bike slowly toppled into wooden pole and slid down it like inept learner pole dancer.  ::)

:sip: Hi Ri, I know someone that can make up a set of training wheels, like I've seen at the pre-school where i do maintenance.  :3some: :bueller:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline armpump

Offline Ri

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2018, 06:56:15 pm »
:sip: Hi Ri, I know someone that can make up a set of training wheels, like I've seen at the pre-school where i do maintenance.  :3some: :bueller:

Sure. I'll order some when Kamanya gets his #dropsbikemorethanido  :sip:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:56:39 pm by Ri »

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2018, 07:10:25 pm »

:sip: I'll sommer order 2 pairs for you so you can sell it to him for a good profit, ek se. :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline Ri

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2018, 07:20:16 pm »

:sip: I'll sommer order 2 pairs for you so you can sell it to him for a good profit, ek se. :3some:

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2018, 06:57:59 pm »
So I dropped my bike in peak traffic today in a traffic crossing. Was on a hill to turn right and a twat stopped in front of me. Had to make my way around him and did not realize I was in 2nd gear. Bike stalls, weight was on the wrong side and the rest was history. Did a roll and tuck in traffic. Felt lime a numbnut. Thank you crashbars...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:04:00 am by Grunder »
the Truth will offend at first

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline XRRX

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2018, 07:04:08 pm »
So I dropped my bike in peak traffic today in a traffic crossing. Was on a hill to turn right and a twat stopped in front of me. Had to make my way around him and did not realise I was in 2nd gear. Bike stalles, weight was on the wrong side and the rest was history. Did a roll and tuck in traffic. Felt lime a numbnut. Thank you crashbars...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

:eek7:
Glad everything seems to be ok!!  :thumleft:

Offline XRRX

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
I usually do it on washing days...  :P ::)

Offline Meteor

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2018, 08:47:40 pm »
Sondag was amper daai dag. Toe ek stop en my voet uitsit skuif die kickstart perfek in my broekspyp op. Ek het klaar die kant gekies waarna ek gaan sak en my voet was seker 5cm vanaf die grond maar in daai spastiese oomblik kon ek net nie uitfigure hoekom my voet nie grond voel en ek het net aanhou aftrap soos 'n hoender wat skrop.
Ek weet nie hoe ek recover het, ek try nog dit uitfigure.
I belief in magic again!

Offline Zanie

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2018, 08:57:50 pm »
My new little Honda Rally has fallen over four times now. I was only on top of the bike on one of those occasions...

The fall where I was involved was due to taking sand more gingerly than I usually do, because I was recovering from a broken wrist, was still wearing the splint, and was therefore very nervous. Nerves = mistakes = side-stand incident.

Twice it has been blown over by the wind at its usual parking spot on the back stoep. I should know by now to try to squeeze it into the garage when a NW wind decides to storm.

The final incident was when I was cleaning my helmet visor, standing behind my bike and resting my helmet on the rear luggage rack. The Rally stands very upright and I guess I probably pressed down on the helmet, and therefore onto the rear of the bike, while cleaning the visor. A little bit of lateral input was all it took for the bike to head to earth. Thankfully it falls well, i.e. no substantive damage.

Offline Bielie

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2018, 09:08:48 pm »
The first time was as I just started to learn. Little dog comes yapping at my feet, so I stop as I am afraid I might ride over it....just where there happens to be a hole where I try to put my foot down so down we go. Nobody around so I had to learn how to lift the bike by myself. Broke the end of the clutch lever, eventually sold the bike a few years later with the lever still shortened.