Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dropping your bike standing still  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Kortbroek

Re: Dropping your bike standing still
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2018, 10:18:27 pm »
lightweight bikes seems to be a common denominator here .  .   .  .   :peepwall:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2018, 10:29:16 pm »
Happened to me the about 2 weeks ago. I smacked the ground so hard Iíd probably be dead if it werenít for the helmet. What a shock.
Also my ribs on one side have been painful ever since. Think I may have cracked one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ri

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »
Happened to me the about 2 weeks ago. I smacked the ground so hard Iíd probably be dead if it werenít for the helmet. What a shock.
Also my ribs on one side have been painful ever since. Think I may have cracked one.

... maybe rather use the center stand...? :peepwall:

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2018, 07:46:03 pm »
Yes but you have to be able to get off the bike first, before using the center stand.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2018, 03:50:35 pm »
I christened my 3 week old 1290 R in the Engen parking by my house the other day :-[

Just popping down to the shops, if it's 1500m it's far (I shouldve actually walked, but...new bike  :biggrin:). Shorts, vest, takkies...you know the chance you take now and then. Just needed some stuff for a last minute braai quick.

Come out the shop, get back on the bike and take the weight off the sidestand. Because I'm not wearing a jacket, my wallet is stuffed into the left side pocket of my shorts. It feels like it's not in nicely, so I lean a bit to the right to make some space to shove it in with my left hand.  Bike leans a bit with me....no biggie.  I've got this......

....shit.

I don't got this!!!

*thump*

What a bloody chop!!!!! Sidestand was even still out on the left haha    In my defence I tried to save it all the way down until it eventually kinda catapulted me off into a tuck and roll through the parking lot.   The crashbars work brilliantly at least :biggrin: :biggrin:   My SO still laughs at me when the story comes up.     Deceptively....flat, those Engen parking lots. Be careful out there guys.

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2018, 04:02:01 pm »
I've dropped my bike twice standing still but it hurts to talk about it.... :laughing4: :laughing4:
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline Cesspool

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2018, 04:21:19 pm »
If you own a Triumph Speed Twin (2017), DON'T drop it on the gearshift side. The shift forks bend and you'll spend lots of time/money fixing it. I know... stupid slippery garage floor...  :(

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2018, 07:24:16 pm »
Happened to me many moons ago with my then R1100GS, at a robot on Beyers Naude, middle of the day.

My safety shoe hooked on the off road peg while trying to slide it off in the old fashioned way, bliksemed neer right there en ten, with the 1100 on top of me. I got out, picked up the bike the right way and drove off, all without removing my helmet in December.

Felt like a real box....... :imaposer:
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2018, 08:01:00 pm »
I've dropped my bike twice standing still but it hurts to talk about it.... :laughing4: :laughing4:

:lol8: :lol8: no man! sharing is caring  ;)

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2018, 10:27:23 am »
Lyk my insidente voor die volle skool buite is die ding.

Laaitie vergeet van sy goed vir koshuisweek by die huis en ek gaan die Woensdag daar verby. Kom ingery en dis pouse. Bargain, nou moet hom net opspoor, dan is die afgee by die kantoor ook nie nodig nie. By die hek in so halfpad teen die afdraed parkeerarea toe staan hy en sy pelle sommer langs die pad. Bargain nr2. Ek stop by hulle en sÍ die goedters is agter in die topkis. Die kry hy nie oop nie. Ek skop sidestand uit en klim af, of so het ek gedink. Daar donder die blok woonstel op my om, voet onder die pillions peg. Trap in n jiffie die fiets effe op en kry voet uit, voor een van die laaities nog kon dink om te help. Fiets het sommer vanself regop gesring of so het dit gevoel.

FOK ek het die sidestand misgetrap,.....trap hom af en voor voor die vader moer die die fiets weer neer....... Jip, die afdraend is toe steiler as wat mens dink en die bleddie skoeter loop op eie stoom van die stand af.

Al hierdie seker onr n minuut, maar ek het n helmet op so min gespin oor wie van waar oral die petalje bekyk.

Vra hom toe maar Vrydag wie almal gelag..... :snorting:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline soviarc

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2018, 10:14:09 pm »
Riding through Marakele, sand for days, my 2 mates each take a tumble in the sand, very chuffed with myself on the heaviest bike not falling once for the day, we stop to refuel and the AT decides to take a nap... even the petrol attendant was like WTF
2007 KTM 990 Adventure - Sold
2019 KTM 790 Adventure R - Sold
2016 Africa Twin DCT
2016 KTM 500 XC-W

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2018, 03:37:39 am »
My contribution.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2018, 09:58:06 am »
Riding through Marakele, sand for days, my 2 mates each take a tumble in the sand, very chuffed with myself on the heaviest bike not falling once for the day, we stop to refuel and the AT decides to take a nap... even the petrol attendant was like WTF

:imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

I love the petroljoggie's expression.  :lol8:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2018, 10:09:28 am »

Im telling you.  That petrol station paving is deceptively flat!!  Catches you out easily :laughing4: :biggrin:

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2018, 06:47:21 pm »
So Saturday was my turn.

Riding around The Vale looking for a 12 volt socket that would fit my AT's "dash" I pull up outside a very busy Midas with a bit of limited space on the slope for parking just outside the entrance.
Put the S10 on the sidestand... consider putting him up onto centre stand due to the slope ...then decide stuff it. This my 4th stop with no success so far and it is moer hot
As I walk around the front there is a big gust of wind, a shout from the park shark and a helluva crash. Turn around to the sight of that heavy fekking silver dream machine jammed into the door of an Alfa 146
Eish! Big gouge in the door of the cage from my mirror mount and my screen is moertoe :(
Going to be an expensive sidestand incident this one
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:50:04 pm by McSack »
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline Jaakmh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2018, 09:10:04 pm »
McSack. Hope itís not too costly! Good luck!

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2018, 10:01:30 pm »
that's not lekker McSack  :'(

I dropped my XT1200Z once in a parking lot when I stalled it - no damage fortunately - your drop is gonna cost some money :-[

I'm always very pedantic when I park my bike, in gear, with no play in sidestand collapse direction and good lean angle - a bit of a nerd in that respect

Offline MellowJo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2018, 11:39:12 am »
How about dominoes ?

I did a quick check and did not see Archy's confession, so I will help him remember ....    >:D

This was in 2010 in  Moz on a difficult day, in front of a school with many spectators ......
Just as we want to take off, he bumps the stump in the red circle, and took me down in the process   :imaposer:

He has some other ones like the drops down Villiersdorp mountain  :pot:

My own confessions to follow ....  ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:59:35 am by MellowJo »
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline MellowJo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2018, 11:57:02 am »
1.) On our way to the Anvil bash in 2011, we went via Wupperthal  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=76929.40

I played in a quarry and stopped, and put my foot into a hole and toppled over slowly. It was quite a task to get the bike upright, we had to remove all the luggage. I cannot get the picture, Arch will have to post. 

2.) One day I went to the deli for lunch and parked on the pavement. When I came back, I was fiddling with the lunch packet in my hand when I pushed the bike off the stand and lost balance to the right, i.e. not the side stand side. The worst was that the side pot missed the pavement and so the bike was now completely horizontal with the wheels on the pavement and the cylinder on the road. I had to drag the bike off the pavement before I could attempt the pickup. ..... :dousing:

Oh, I nearly forgot, in 2000 I took a Varadero for a test ride. I slowed down to make a U turn in a a side street when the bike choked to a stop and I keeled over. It was very embarrassing but I had to confess to the saleman. Luckily no damage.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:03:12 pm by MellowJo »
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!