Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dropping your bike standing still  (Read 8608 times)

Offline heinzz

Re: Dropping your bike standing still
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 09:34:21 am »
If it is a shame dropping you bike while standing still so be it, then I am in shame. I always, specially when the bike is loaded needs to look for a spot to stop, kick out the side stand and dismount like you would do on a horse. If I can not reach the ground on the left I am f.....d. I will even post a pick to laugh at. Getting on the bike when leaning to much to the left and getting it upright is sometimes also a hassle. That is why you have friends.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 10:10:28 am »
Yeah seen that before - brilliant and shows what can be done. He could so easily be riding a step-through scooter but elects a proper bike  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Tiger8

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 10:16:47 am »
My friend, who had just started riding bike, had a nice XT660R, one afternoon he stops next to me and starts chatting, the next thing I see he starts leaning away from me, slowly like and suddenly he was on the floor................he forgot to put his feet down  :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

BTW, I am a master of the side stand incident, even at 6'4" a 950S can suddenly become "too tall" if the road/parkings dips away to the left  ;) Once my wife felt what was happening and bailed off, leaving me to smell the roses on my own  :biggrin:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline J-dog

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:02 am »
This is the funniest story I have ever seen - with my own eyes and bike:

Guy pulls out in front of me in a BMW. I'm on my 990. Very close call!

So I decided to follow the guy and give him a piece of my mind. Her stopped at a robot and I pulled alongside and gestured rudely and asked him to wind down the window so I could shit him out. As the window started to open, My bike toppled over and landed on top of me  :imaposer: He drove off laughing  :imaposer:

Took me another few minutes to getup from under the bike, in front of all the other traffic.  :imaposer:

Humble pie!!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 10:35:05 am »
Karma is a bitch  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:03 am »
Diesel patch at filling station.  Slow motion...

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 10:49:45 am »
Diesel patch at filling station.  Slow motion...

Yes almost happened to me - same issue.

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 10:50:31 am »
Twice on 1 ride.
Pulled into Clarence and stopped to ask a laaitjie for directions.....  Forgot to put my sidestand out and moered off right at this feet.
Laaitjie askes me between laughs if he can help.  Fok a Vara is a heavy pig fully loaded.

Second time was in the same time about 30 mins later.
Stopped at the backpackers and the fucking dog bit my foot......  The foot I needed to balance on while kicking the sidestand out. Moered over again... but the pity is I didnt land on the farking dog.

:dousing:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline J-dog

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 11:14:19 am »
Then there is this experience of mine:

I had ordered a brand new BMW 1200 GSA from the shop after deciding that bigger had to be better. There was no way that I was going to humiliate myself by riding a smaller KTM or Yamaha around the city. After all, the BMW was impressive, with its massive bulk and expensive looking dashboard, and my unending need for attention needed to be satisfied.

I arrived at the dealership with already wearing my brand new leathers, Nike takkies and a Harley Davidson cap.  I still have the cap, which reads “Out-numbered, but never out-gunned”. I strolled in, trying to look as casual as possible, with that certain swagger of a man who knew what he wanted in life and was dressed to take it.   It must have been a curious sight and, looking back, I can almost hear the sniggers and see the startled looks of the sales folk who thought they had seen it all...

I do remember the expression on Joel’s face though. He was slightly wide-eyed and seemed considerably impressed by my understated yet professional riding gear. I always feel that understatement and false humility draws more admiration.

After completing the formalities (which seemed endless and frankly pointless) I was perspiring profusely inside my leather sauna, and I must have looked even more bizarre.

Anyway, let’s get to the point of my first bike dropping fiasco....

After the final signature, I nonchalantly sauntered up to the 1200 behemoth and after finding that I didn’t have the strength to push it out of the showroom, I leap astride and reached for the starter button.  I still had my HD cap on, as the plan was to ride the bike out looking uber-cool to the parking lot, where my helmet was waiting.

My small arm movement was too much. I lost my footing and the bike began a slow, imperceptible lean to the right hand side, which quickly gathered momentum as three hundred tons of German engineering  swayed past the balance point.

I was watching from above, observing myself sitting rigidly as I was going down, until I was lying on the floor under the bike which was fully kitted with top box, panniers and that magnetic thing which sticks to the tank. There was a 320i on my left and an astounded salesman on my right.

The noise of the crash and my several shouted obscenities must have been considerable, because salesmen, accountants and parts desk people appeared from every corner of the showroom to look at me. Unfortunately I couldn’t make a blasé recovery, as the motorcycle had trapped my leg, and three employees had to lift the bike off me before I could move.  The kind observers didn’t laugh at the sight of the sweaty, short, chubby guy in leathers pinned on the spotless showroom floor under his brand new bike, but the humiliation I felt was intense. I haven’t been back to that shop since as there’s no way they’ll have forgotten me.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 11:17:49 am »
And This Experience of mine:

There is a very fancy restaurant in Plettenberg Bay called Cornuti. It’s perfectly poised at the top of the road which comes up from main beach towards the main traffic circle, and has a long outdoor balcony overlooking the parking bays. A few years back, after owning my Big BMW 1200 GSA for but a short while, I took Lynda to Plett for the weekend as a pillion. That was another whole story in itself.

As she is not accustomed to being perched on the back of a lump of steel with only the top box as a back rest, we stopped at the Sunridge shopping centre before leaving PE to purchase a pillow for a back rest. Embarrasing, but I hoped it would stop the squirming. The only shop with something suitable was a gift store with ornate decorative cushions for an obscene price. We bought one and strapped it to the top box with stretchies and off we rode.

Back to Cornuti....

As we had no car, we opted to go to dinner on the GSA. We rode the two kilometers up the hill in all our splendour – Lynda had insisted on wearing full leathers and leaving the Italian cushion strapped to the top box. “I know it’s not far” she stated “but I’m going to go safely and in comfort”

Minutes later we rolled into the parking bay right in front of a balcony of revellers – it was Easter and the restaurant was in full swing. Now I don’t normally like to ride a motorbike after a few drinks, but the pasta was good and the beer cold. I was also further encouraged to drink more beer by a new friend in the bar. I was occasionally popping into the drinking area to have a smoke, and this chap (who oddly looked like Richard Branson) insisted on buying me a beer on each visit. This in fair exchange for listening to him talking about his homing pigeon collection.

When it came time to go home, I was swaying slightly and occasionally pointing towards the bar and announcing loudly “That’s Richard Branson” to the restaurant in general. I thought it was important they should all know who my generous beer donor was.

We walked rather unsteadily down the steps towards the GSA, which now looked twice the size and extremely intimidating. The balcony also seemed to have suddenly filled up with onlookers, which added considerable pressure. Still, I thought, if I could somehow make my way up the side of the bike and then lean over gently until my foot reached the pavement I should be ok. Lynda was watching from a distance and letting me ( and the balcony of onlookers) know that I was in no state to ride down the hill back home. “Ish gonna be alright my darling” I reassured her, “I’m a bit of an eshpert now” I caught sight of Richard standing at the stairs resting heavily on the railing, watching with interest.

I lunged at the motorbike with the fluid motion of a practised Motorad instructor and seconds later the bike had vanished from my view. I was slightly confused. It was there a minute ago – where had it gone? Looking down there it was lying on its side, bits of plastic all around it, and the Italian cushion reminding me of what I was looking at.

Then there was silence. Someone on the balcony coughed and the only other sound was Richard Branson giggling (he was now sitting on the floor of the balcony with another fresh beer.) The rest of it was a little foggy. I vaguely recall several people picking up the bike and muttering amongst themselves – no doubt pointing out to one another that the bike was over-weight and bloated and that it wasn’t my fault at all.

I left the bike there, and had the humiliation of walking down the hill away from Cornuti at midnight – Lynda in full leather regalia, and me clutching the Italian cushion. That damn cushion. It was probably the reason why the bike had over-balanced in the first place.

I shan’t be visiting Cornuti again, unless I remember to pack my false nose, eyebrow and moustache set which I bought for just that occasion from the ten Rand store.

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 11:54:03 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

We've probably all got a story to tell....but showing off rarely ends well...Going up Sani Pass a year or so ago with a couple of mates.  Conditions were tricky so we sent the ladies to the top in a 4x4 before we set off.  Nearly all of us had a fall on the trip up which was no hassle at all.  Cresting the top I see the Mrs standing with a whole group of ladies - like a platoon of them - she's recording our triumphant ascent.  Roaring towards them with the guile of a seasoned traveler I jump on the brakes, come to a stop shouting "Did you see my fall?"......and promptly dropped the bike in front of them all....she still shows that video to all her friends....I forgot to put my foot out when I stopped.....eish - what a chop......
Rom 1:16

Offline armpump

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 12:06:55 pm »
Hahahahaha J-dog

Offline JacoM

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »
Yes, it happens.
Picture this:
a Few plastics and me on the HP2 riding in Maccaser w few years ago.
Me trying to catch up.
Everybody stopped in a line next to each other at the foot of a dune.
I was last to arrive, stopped at the right far end of the riders.
My boot strap got hooked to something and I could not get me foot out in time.
I dropped the HP and took out the five riders on my left as well - like domino's.
Included in these were 2SD himself on his KDX ...
Ek het maar redelik gat gevoel terwyl almal bikes optel en swets......

Ek vermoed ek het bygedra tot 2SD se spesiale verhouding met BMW's en hulle "drywers" :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:44:21 pm by JacoM »

Offline Lear300

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:18 pm »
Whilst riding around the Vaal Dam over the Easter weekend, we were on some gravel road along the water edge, following a buddy that we happened to come across who was planning to camp there.

Anyway, once he had selected his desired camp spot and parked is FJ cruiser, I decided to turn the bike around in order to get a better parking spot, this required me to leave the gravel road and go into the veld a little to complete my U-turn. nice and slow, I got the front wheel jammed on a tuft of grass :peepwall:........anyway, down we went, I basically walked off the bike with my hands in the air feeling like a right chop.

Managed to save some dignity by being able to lift the bike on my own and continue the U-turn as I had planned it in my head originally. :imaposer:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 02:49:06 pm »
Various reasons why I've managed to drop bikes over the years, including :-

Drunk. Sidestand not properly extended. Hole, gully or camber where I'm anticipating a firm level surface. Shoe or bootlace, strap or pants leg snagging on the footrest, Overweight, drunk or overexcited chick on the back, Heavy bike being manoeuvered awkwardly as previously described. But I can't recall ever completely forgetting to kick the stand out.....yet, that is, because they say that memory declines with age, so I'd best not speak too soon!
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 03:08:24 pm »
Various reasons why I've managed to drop bikes over the years, including :-

Drunk. Sidestand not properly extended. Hole, gully or camber where I'm anticipating a firm level surface. Shoe or bootlace, strap or pants leg snagging on the footrest, Overweight, drunk or overexcited chick on the back, Heavy bike being manoeuvered awkwardly as previously described. But I can't recall ever completely forgetting to kick the stand out.....yet, that is, because they say that memory declines with age, so I'd best not speak too soon!

:imaposer: :imaposer:
the Truth will offend at first

Offline Rover

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Rover;... An old dog.
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 06:24:49 pm »
Happened to me once on the 600...It will happen again :(
'Never give up'

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
I do it quite often. I can’t reach the ground with both feet at once... so if it’s a little off camber or uneven, I sometimes find I can’t reach the ground with either foot...

That’s exactly what happened to me.... being a kortgat an all. And my seat is set on the lower setting
Me too middle or the drive way
DS

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:01 am »
Surely less than 5% of mine.

Addedd points for having the fuel cap open.

In front of other tourists

Evil sidestand and sand

The GPS’s fault. It’s hard to focus on it and have a little bandwidth left to keep the bike upright.

Just in the last month I’ve dropped it twice at standstill.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Dunce

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Live life to its fullest
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 10:07:41 am »
Stopping at a robot in a busy street in CPT, wind blowing, pushes a flat cardboard box under my foot, nothing to do but watch as foot slips away, fall over and light turns green...