Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Popping the front wheel up, while standing. Gimme some tips here  (Read 529 times)

Offline Roadhawg

I can pop the front wheel up while seated, on tar.

I can do little jumps using bumps or little launch type areas on or off-road.   

I want to be able to start lifting the front wheel while standing.....Is it similar to jumping the bike?   Jumping I kinda use a mix of leg bounce in the suspension and throttle to launch the big girl a bit.   I guess it's something like that with a bit of leaning back to lift the front?

Any tips?
Stu
1190 Adventure R

Offline 2StrokeDan

Re: Popping the front wheel up, while standing. Gimme some tips here
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:10:17 pm »
Weight on the front so the forks pushes in, then lean back with throttle open as the forks extend.

Offline armpump

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:58 pm »
controlling wheel spin is biggest challenge on dirt
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:01:34 pm by armpump »

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:13:30 pm »

I want to be able to start lifting the front wheel while standing.....Is it similar to jumping the bike?   Jumping I kinda use a mix of leg bounce in the suspension and throttle to launch the big girl a bit.   I guess it's something like that with a bit of leaning back to lift the front?

Any tips?

I got a few tips from my buddy that I bought the 1190 from. And he can wheelie his 1200 GSA at will and for as long as he wants to. Tar or dirt. So I take his advice seriously when it comes to doing stupid stuff in a controlled manner.

On the 1190, traction control off, third gear. Stand up, preload front shocks (that bounce you mentioned), and open throttle wide. I think he said revs around 5000. You shouldn't be using the clutch at first until you're comfortable with picking the wheel up purely under power.

I was popping the front wheel up in first with the clutch, and he told me that's the most dangerous way to learn to wheelie a big bike, and the quickest way to pop fork seals from slamming the front down too hard when you inevitably panic and hit the brakes.

Another tip he gave was that covering the back brake is for slow wheelies on dirt bikes. Your bike's engine compression should be more than ample to put the front wheel down when you close the throttle, unless you're way to far over, in which case the back brake will be the last thing you'd be thinking of anyway.

Also, standing up means you can see where you're going without leaning over to the side and having to balance the weight shift with your body, so it should technically be easier/safer than sitting.

I know there are a bunch of different views on wheelie techniques, but I'm taking advice from the guy that I've seen actually do it in front of me repeatedly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:33:42 am »
Basically I did what has been said here before.

Stand up, close throttle and lean forward to compress the forks. Lean back and add throttle at the same time. Get scared and chop throttle, nearly crash.

That last one can be worked on, but the 1190 is one of the few bikes that I was carefull with. I had it happen once or twice that I would try lift the front a little to go over a little bump or something in the road but the rear would break traction before suddenly hitting a hard surface like a rock embedded in the road and lifting the front end very quickly and unexpectedly. After a few times I just pumped the front wheel up to 3 bar and did a lame attempt at a wheelie when I wanted to lighten the front. I had worked out that the front suspension was there for a reason.

I did always ride in sport mode with traction control off so in one of the more friendly modes it may not have been as scary to me.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:54 am »
I did always ride in sport mode with traction control off so in one of the more friendly modes it may not have been as scary to me.

Does it have other modes?  :patch:

:ricky:

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:16 am »

Any tips?
none... but do share the video... whatever the outcome... >:D

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:42:33 am »
Cover the rear brake ALWAYS!!!!
Practise, practice, practise
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 01:56:32 pm »
Thanks guys.

I'll go do some playing around.
Stu
1190 Adventure R

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:31:23 am »
this sounds like the easiest way for me to end up in a hospital bed,hijack off
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:00:12 pm »

My take on this was I'd rather know how to control jumps and wheelies than not know, and they happen by mistake on the trail and I panic.  I can't wheelie like any of the hardcore guys here, I can pop the front up and ride it out for a little while but shifting or getting it really vertical is way beyond me.   But I like knowing the feeling so I don't freak out when it happens in real life riding.

Being able to pop the front up for a rock or ditch could be very handy offroad.
Stu
1190 Adventure R

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 01:53:25 am »

My take on this was I'd rather know how to control jumps and wheelies than not know, and they happen by mistake on the trail and I panic.  I can't wheelie like any of the hardcore guys here, I can pop the front up and ride it out for a little while but shifting or getting it really vertical is way beyond me.   But I like knowing the feeling so I don't freak out when it happens in real life riding.

Being able to pop the front up for a rock or ditch could be very handy offroad.
Back when I started riding daily I was 15 and had a DR200SE, I commuted to school and back on it and on weekends would have friends over who had quads and an old honda big red 250 trike (deathtrap).

On one of our excursions I was leaving them in the dust in this one sand mine near where I live but on a track that I did not know at the time. So I was doing about 80-90 and immediately after coming around a corner there was a 2m wide donga across the road, I had no time to brake or do anything about it so I leaned back and opened up( I think I was thinking it would at least be a spectacular crash then) and the next moment I was on the other side of the donga just riding on as per normal.

I stopped and could slow my friends down in time but was now stuck on the other side. We all got off and checked the 3m deep donga out, by now the adrenaline started wearing off and I realised there was only one way back unless we somehow built a bridge. I was completely psyched out by the canyon I had to "jump" and it took a bit of convincing myself to cross it again the same way.

After a while that became my favorite move to pull when new people rode with us, I would have one of my friends lead the ride and stop at the donga. Then come flying past them like I didnt know the road and just cross it as though I didnt see it. I got quite a few funny reactions out of it.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...