Incentivise motorcycles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Interesting article, and I would support such a notion.

https://www.news24.com/News24/MyNews24/Letters/0,,2-2127-2129_2400241,00.html

Dear Editor,

I am writing this letter not to complain but to make a suggestion that I feel will end the nightmare traffic problems of the smallest province with the most cars once and for all.

Although an extra lane on our number one national road in Gauteng will help, the question is for how long? It is a short term solution for a long term problem. Before long it will be back to bumper-to-bumper on all four lanes.

I was one of the unfortunate souls who had to undertake the arduous journey from Centurion to Randburg on a daily basis (like thousands of other commuters). For the last three months I am fortunate enough to have to only travel eight kilometers to my workplace. It is like a little peace of heaven on earth.

My blood pressure levels have dropped and my chances to reach the ripe old age of 80 have doubled. No more dodging crazy lady drivers who did not have time to put on make up at home, no more dodging crazy BMW drivers who did not have time to learn the basics of courteous driving, no more crazy taxis who did not have time for anything and no more watching the guy behind me pick his nose and eat it because he thinks no one can see him.

That was until last week when I had to make the journey from Centurion to Randburg again. As soon as I got onto the highway I felt my anxiety levels sky rocket. And then it began: stop, go, stop, go, stop, go?

This is when I had my epiphany on how to completely eradicate the so called traffic jam.

My solution is so simple I am sure many frustrated drivers have thought of it before. Instead of building a fourth or fifth lane why not build a dedicated bike lane? Safety is one of the biggest turn-offs for people considering buying a motor cycle. A motor cycle is no match for a car in an accident and the way some people drive I would never consider riding a motor cycle on the highway.

With a dedicated motor cycle lane this is no problem. But wait, there's more! Why not encourage people to buy motor cycles by tax incentives. Let the cost price of the motor cycle, all maintenance and a large percentage of the fuel be deductible from tax.

Thousand of people will buy motor cycles and that's what we need. Thousands of cars off the road.

I know many will say this is not feasible idea, but what is the alternative? There is no more space to build more lanes and there are more and more cars on the road each year.

Jaco Janse van Rensburg,
Gauteng