Carbon in drained oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Pardon not motorcycle but can occur in a bike as well. I have been lax in changing oil on wifes Fiat 500, she does not do a lot of miles (4000km in a year) if it's that much but it was 15 months between oil changes. The car gave a warning on oil pressure and she shut it down immediately. ! I decided to do a oil and filter change yesterday. Now she does a lot of slow town driving and besides being quite black the oil also had what I could only describe as carbon deposits in the drain pan about the size of sea salt flakes. Oil was Shell HX7. I felt bad for the car as I have always been very diligent on oil services on my bikes and cars. So I'm thinking the head must have some carbon build up, besides taking it out on a good long open run is there any product one could add to the fuel to clean things up ? I have used Liqui Moly injector cleaner in a Diesel before buy honestly could not notice much difference. Also a bit skeptical on these products but who knows. It's a fairly basic 1.2 8V motor so maybe worth a try ?

Last edited: