Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DIY - Spray painting a engine - advice needed  (Read 435 times)

Offline WNaude

DIY - Spray painting a engine - advice needed
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:23:10 am »
Hi Guys,

So I'm slowly starting with my next restoration and rebuild (1982 XR500R) and I'm thinking of spraying the engine myself. Original color is black (think its a satin scheme). I will strip the current paint completely using bead blasting, then thinking of using a rattle can as there are some pretty good quality stuff out there.

What are the pros and cons?

1. What paint can I use? Rustoleum high heat or something similar?
2. Should I apply a primer first.
3. How many coats
4. etc.

Does anyone have some experience on this topic?

Your thoughts and comments on this?
Any advice will be appreciated/
1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 2 X 1982 XR500R,

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: DIY - Spray painting a engine - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:18 pm »
i have used rustoleum high heat bbq paint on exhaust before with great results

have done thousands of km's on both bikes and the exhaust is still nice and grey - no flaking of the paint and no return of the rusty exhaust.

i had the exhausts sand blasted then sprayed a thin coat - heated with the heat gun - let it sit - repeat

did that for each coat and  :thumleft:

you get engine enamel spray paints - but have never used it myself so cannot comment

Offline WNaude

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »
i have used rustoleum high heat bbq paint on exhaust before with great results

have done thousands of km's on both bikes and the exhaust is still nice and grey - no flaking of the paint and no return of the rusty exhaust.

i had the exhausts sand blasted then sprayed a thin coat - heated with the heat gun - let it sit - repeat

did that for each coat and  :thumleft:

you get engine enamel spray paints - but have never used it myself so cannot comment

Its a good start, thanks for the input.

Offline Dux

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 03:15:18 pm »
VHT Black Oxide gives the same finish as original , have engine parts cleaned with mild beadblasting or vapour blasting , before spraying brush down the parts with clean thinners , heat up with a heat gun till the thinners is evaporated , spray thin . even coats until the part is properly painted , then finally bake in the oven , put parts in cold oven and turn to 180C , half an hour later switch off oven and let the parts cool down naturally in the oven .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:10:30 pm »
Is the engine dismantled?

Down here in Cape Town I just had the crankcases, clutch cover, cylinder and head of a 250 2stroke ceramic coated, in satin black, for just under R2000.

It is like the original factory finish.

Offline WNaude

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:25:00 am »
Is the engine dismantled?

Down here in Cape Town I just had the crankcases, clutch cover, cylinder and head of a 250 2stroke ceramic coated, in satin black, for just under R2000.

It is like the original factory finish.

Yes I've already removed it and stripped it down.
From what I could find out is that satin black is the closest you will get to the original color.
Someone here on the forum just used 1 coat of Coastcoat black etch-primer and 3 coats of Rustoleum's satin black from the rattle can. Years later and still looks excellent.

Maybe that's the root I should take

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Aka Sprocket Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:26:42 pm »
Do not laugh but Rustleum's Barbeque grill paint is HIGH heat, comes in a nice matt black and paints like a dream, dries in no time and is very forgiving plus comes with built in underoat/rust inhibitor.... have used it with gtreat success on exhausts, casings, headers n all sorts of stuff. :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline WNaude

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 06:35:43 pm »
Do not laugh but Rustleum's Barbeque grill paint is HIGH heat, comes in a nice matt black and paints like a dream, dries in no time and is very forgiving plus comes with built in underoat/rust inhibitor.... have used it with gtreat success on exhausts, casings, headers n all sorts of stuff. :thumleft:

I actually think that's the route I'm going to take Roxtar. Have heard numerous stories of success with Rustoleum.  I'm seriously considering it.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:16 am »

I actually think that's the route I'm going to take Roxtar. Have heard numerous stories of success with Rustoleum.  I'm seriously considering it.

There is a difference between satin, matt and gloss black, and a matt black engine doesn't look that great, same with gloss black. Satin finish is the one to go for.

Offline WNaude

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 07:20:09 am »

There is a difference between satin, matt and gloss black, and a matt black engine doesn't look that great, same with gloss black. Satin finish is the one to go for.

Spot on 2StrokeDan,

Satin black is also the closest to original you will get. Definitely opting for a satin finish.

Thanks

Offline halfjob

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:06:24 am »
ping Coxswain on how to do a proper paint job  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:39 am »

Spot on 2StrokeDan,

Satin black is also the closest to original you will get. Definitely opting for a satin finish.

Thanks

The Rustoleum BBQ paint works great on exhaust - but it is rather dull and flat. Not going to give you a nice finish on a engine.

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:06 am »
Rustolium has 4 different variants

Gloss Black - looks ok if you want a gloss finish
Matt Black - ok for a Matt finish
SemiGloss- Looks like you attempted a gloss finish but got it wrong, or attempted a Matt finish and then polished it.
Satin Canyon Black - That's the one to use.

And if you ask Coxwain to do it, he'll use a different black that looks red in sunlight!   :pot:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:30:12 am by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Bensien

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »
I used the Rust-Oleum high heat satin on an exhaust can. It came out glossy but once he exhaust got hot the paint smoked a bit and the shine faded . A year later and it is still looking good. I am planning to do my DR650's cases with the silver
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline WNaude

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:49:17 am »
Rustolium has 4 different variants

Gloss Black - looks ok if you want a gloss finish
Matt Black - ok for a Matt finish
SemiGloss- Looks like you attempted a gloss finish but got it wrong, or attempted a Matt finish and then polished it.
Satin Canyon Black - That's the one to use.

And if you ask Coxwain to do it, he'll use a different black that looks red in sunlight!   :pot:

Thanks Jughead,
Will make sure a use the satin black