Plans in planning a ride ( DECEMBER LONG RIDE)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
For our holiday break over the Xmas period we are going on a long ride , mite reach Capetown but that is not the destination , We are riding in that direction , I would like to traverse as many of the mountain passes as possible . At this stage we are not booking any accommodation as we do not know where we will find ourselves on this long ride .
Early planning says 1 tank of petrol per day and then fine accommodation , so around 400 ks a days ride . maybe a bit more , First & last day of the trip could be the longest stretches of the ride , but not cast in stone .
My question is do you make plans in your planning ? I like breakfast/ brunch and will stop at a restaurant to eat , or is making "padkos " a option / Do you pack drinks ? I am asking as I think it could be a good idea to make some "padkos " to have when making a pitstop near nowhere , And possibly a flask with some juice could be nice .
Do you take a rain-suit , or is the waterproofing riding gear ok? I am aware that the pants my missus rides in is not waterproof and she will need rain over pants , problem is space in the box , or does the term you wont melt come to play ? If caught in heavy rain stop and enjoy the scenery?
I have read some posts , and it was mentioned to take the spare key with just in case , do you take a spare ? I have never taken one , never lost my key , but it is possible .
If I can ask for suggestions to take into consideration for this ride , about 15 days . Johannesburg to Capetown and back with no destination, We like Wilderness and could make this a hub to ride from for a couple of days , I tend to like to be at a different place every knight , pack the bike in the morning , ride , stop for brunch , ride , find accommodation , unpack , eat sleep , ride some more . But open for suggestions .
One last thing that I end up regretting after every trip is the lack of photos , we ride and enjoy it , but seldom stop to take photos , what is the trick to have these memories?