Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2019 !!!  (Read 18459 times)

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
Re: DAKAR 2019 !!!
« Reply #1520 on: January 20, 2019, 03:14:19 pm »
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more on Botswana, Angola and Namibia suggestion. I have never been to Angola but I have ridden Botswana and Namibia more than most on this forum and the idea of 100 bikes, cars and let alone dump trucks gunning it through Kaokoland/Damaraland is just sickening to me.

Where exactly would you want them to ride? Most of Botswana and Namibia is either private property or conservation area. Most of Botswana is dense bush with highest density of African animals in the world, a lot of it National parks. Most of Namibia is private property and the rest of it that could provide for example dunes is conservation areas with strong emphasis on minimising human impact (correct IMO). For example you are not allowed to ride in Kaokoland/Damaraland willy nilly whereever you want - you are supposed to follow existing tracks, and if transgressing they will impound your vehicle. The whole of Skeleton coast and Namib desert is strictly protected are - and rightly so IMO.

Yes you can plot tracks together probably to make 5000 km race, but it would make for extremely boring race - a WRC basically, as there is absolutely minimal opportunity for off-piste riding, for which open deserts that this region doesn't have in abundance are the best place. And I'm not keen to see elephant get a seizure because of fucking Kamaz takes a shortcut (or even sticks to the road) - believe me there are tens of thousands of those and other animals in the northern half of Botswana everywhere - even next to tar.

Dakar belongs to northern Africa, with its spare populations, no private land and vast open space allowing for almost unlimited off-piste riding, which is what makes Dakar really worth watching as we have seen in the last two editions compared to prior few WRC years.
Agreed 100%, if only they can sort out the politics in Africa and get the race back where it belongs.
Africa eco race picked that one up
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1521 on: January 20, 2019, 03:50:45 pm »
What makes you think that ASO cares? Plus they want to incorporate Algeria, which as far as I know Eco Race currently doesn't run through.

Will be interesting what will come out of this. It seems clear that Dakar in Soutth America has run its course and they must find something else. While they mentioned Namibia and Angola (as well as northern Africa), as I said there just isn't enough freely available public land and open desert in those countries. I'm sure we will hear soon enough - preparingi Dakar is  long exercise and they will have to start with it soon.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #1522 on: January 20, 2019, 07:32:51 pm »
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more on Botswana, Angola and Namibia suggestion. I have never been to Angola but I have ridden Botswana and Namibia more than most on this forum and the idea of 100 bikes, cars and let alone dump trucks gunning it through Kaokoland/Damaraland is just sickening to me.

Where exactly would you want them to ride? Most of Botswana and Namibia is either private property or conservation area. Most of Botswana is dense bush with highest density of African animals in the world, a lot of it National parks. Most of Namibia is private property and the rest of it that could provide for example dunes is conservation areas with strong emphasis on minimising human impact (correct IMO). For example you are not allowed to ride in Kaokoland/Damaraland willy nilly whereever you want - you are supposed to follow existing tracks, and if transgressing they will impound your vehicle. The whole of Skeleton coast and Namib desert is strictly protected are - and rightly so IMO.

Yes you can plot tracks together probably to make 5000 km race, but it would make for extremely boring race - a WRC basically, as there is absolutely minimal opportunity for off-piste riding, for which open deserts that this region doesn't have in abundance are the best place. And I'm not keen to see elephant get a seizure because of fucking Kamaz takes a shortcut (or even sticks to the road) - believe me there are tens of thousands of those and other animals in the northern half of Botswana everywhere - even next to tar.

Dakar belongs to northern Africa, with its spare populations, no private land and vast open space allowing for almost unlimited off-piste riding, which is what makes Dakar really worth watching as we have seen in the last two editions compared to prior few WRC years.

The voice reason :thumleft:  spot on

Offline geopat

« Reply #1523 on: January 20, 2019, 07:39:29 pm »

Couldnt agree more the damage done to those sensitive environments would be massive

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #1524 on: January 20, 2019, 08:19:36 pm »
I agree with Xpat.

Another pressure... I wonder if one of the reasons for there being much noise to get back to Africa is because the environmental & archaeological impact on the deserts in South America is proving to be a bit much? I know Bolivia and Chile have had people go as far as the courts to get it stopped.

Going over dunes is not an issue at all, if the wind is blowing, just  a few hours later it's hard to see that anyone was there. In the rockier desert areas, tracks can stay for centuries, literally. There are areas where the fragile upper crust, a biome all of it's own, is destroyed. Namibia has many such coastal places that are now expressly off limits to anyone and rightly so.

Alex used to say, "let's face it, not matter how we spin it, it's not a green sport. So let's try bring some humanity to the places we travel through".

It may just be that the Dakar, needs to find spaces that are desolate and that repair themselves easily. River beds and moving dunes are prime places.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Online RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #1525 on: January 20, 2019, 08:25:12 pm »
And Angola still has areas that go boom when you go off track... ::)

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #1526 on: January 21, 2019, 08:28:31 am »
And Angola still has areas that go boom when you go off track... ::)

Haha well that will be a way to keep people on the roadbook to the letter  :imaposer:

Let's see their mappers map shortcuts through 35 year old minefields
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #1527 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:57 pm »
What’s that white box she has in her hand at 1m25, that she mounts in the bracket from 1m30?

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #1528 on: January 21, 2019, 12:58:02 pm »
GPS unit for the Iritrack?
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #1529 on: January 21, 2019, 05:43:16 pm »
Do you guys know of any online resources that explain a road book and navigation simply - I will most likely never need it but I would like to understand it a bit better

Ok, a bit late, but I found it. I wrote this during last years Dakar;

This gives a good idea of what riding and navigation is like in open dunes on a rally.

This chap has had videos on the net for a while. What’s cool about his is that he posts the whole thing for as long as his batteries last.

He won his class E1 on a bog standard enduro machine with navigation gear.

https://translate.google.co.za/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.bianchiprata.com/en/&prev=search

In this video, you can see he gets passed by a guy who probably has the better bike but definitely reads the sand better at about the 9.7km mark. So it’s noticeable that he tags along with him for a while for the easier lines until he starts to have to check the navigation. It’s a slippery slope trying to hang with a faster guy and navigate properly at the same time. It’s either hang with him and trust his navigation, which is never a good idea, or ride your own race.

Here you can see the normal layout. His trip is telling him he’s 10.0km’s from the start on a heading of 123 degrees. His road book is telling him that the next waypoint is at 11.1 where he’ll have to make a direction change to 182 degrees. Just above that 182, where he's coloured in green is a symbol that means that there's a waypoint there. He needs to get within 50 meters of that GPS point that will be there. To the right of that is a HP, that means off piste or no roads. He just has to get there on a heading bearing.

Just 300 meters on and within a set distance from a GPS point that will be the waypoint, his organisers unit, automatically changes to give him an arrow and meters left to get to it.

If he doesn’t use his roadbook to navigate to within an 800 meter radius of that point, he will not be credited with that waypoint and incur time penalties. That wouldn’t be the least of his issues if he did that. He’d effectively be lost, (as you see some other poor dude later who missed a refuel), and have to back track to the last place he knew he was on the roadbook.

He has his own GPS for just in case he has a crash an destroys his nav tower, or, it may be used by the organisers to double check his route if their unit goes on the blink. But, it’s otherwise useless for navigation – it has no idea where you are wanting to go.

I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1530 on: January 21, 2019, 08:50:48 pm »
Do you guys know of any online resources that explain a road book and navigation simply - I will most likely never need it but I would like to understand it a bit better

Ok, a bit late, but I found it. I wrote this during last years Dakar;

This gives a good idea of what riding and navigation is like in open dunes on a rally.

This chap has had videos on the net for a while. What’s cool about his is that he posts the whole thing for as long as his batteries last.

He won his class E1 on a bog standard enduro machine with navigation gear.

https://translate.google.co.za/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.bianchiprata.com/en/&prev=search

In this video, you can see he gets passed by a guy who probably has the better bike but definitely reads the sand better at about the 9.7km mark. So it’s noticeable that he tags along with him for a while for the easier lines until he starts to have to check the navigation. It’s a slippery slope trying to hang with a faster guy and navigate properly at the same time. It’s either hang with him and trust his navigation, which is never a good idea, or ride your own race.

Here you can see the normal layout. His trip is telling him he’s 10.0km’s from the start on a heading of 123 degrees. His road book is telling him that the next waypoint is at 11.1 where he’ll have to make a direction change to 182 degrees. Just above that 182, where he's coloured in green is a symbol that means that there's a waypoint there. He needs to get within 50 meters of that GPS point that will be there. To the right of that is a HP, that means off piste or no roads. He just has to get there on a heading bearing.

Just 300 meters on and within a set distance from a GPS point that will be the waypoint, his organisers unit, automatically changes to give him an arrow and meters left to get to it.

If he doesn’t use his roadbook to navigate to within an 800 meter radius of that point, he will not be credited with that waypoint and incur time penalties. That wouldn’t be the least of his issues if he did that. He’d effectively be lost, (as you see some other poor dude later who missed a refuel), and have to back track to the last place he knew he was on the roadbook.

He has his own GPS for just in case he has a crash an destroys his nav tower, or, it may be used by the organisers to double check his route if their unit goes on the blink. But, it’s otherwise useless for navigation – it has no idea where you are wanting to go.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #1531 on: January 21, 2019, 09:13:33 pm »
What’s that white box she has in her hand at 1m25, that she mounts in the bracket from 1m30?

Fok die wit boxie.  ek soek 'n girl wat 'n tang so kan operate.  Baia heinings om reg te maak.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #1532 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:19 pm »
Where the hell Is the BMW s? 🤔😂

The truth is that BMW pulled out because the current crop of riders are too tall for their bikes and they did not want to have to build taller bikes.
PALYBOY - They lost the sexy sponsor.

At home I would say: "those years it was a fucking event"

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1533 on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:58 pm »
Right 2 things

1. the navigation must be extremely tricky! I would battle to ride with any speed and do that - respect!

2. Did you see Ross being interviewed by Joey - the last 30 seconds is classic

I para phrase but he asks “hypothetically if you were riding the women’s class what position would you have come?”

Offline Rynet

« Reply #1534 on: January 22, 2019, 07:41:05 am »
Right 2 things

1. the navigation must be extremely tricky! I would battle to ride with any speed and do that - respect!

I para phrase but he asks “hypothetically if you were riding the women’s class what position would you have come?”

Yes, that last Q is Hilarious  :imaposer: :imaposer:
https://www.facebook.com/rossi.branch/

Great interview.  :thumleft:

Great raw talent , Ross will be back at Dakar like a Branch growing on super-juice.  We have been so lucky that our Southern Africa guys have featured in the last few Dakar's and this year the cherry on top with Ross and Kenny doing so brilliantly well . :ricky:

And kudos also to Nuts4Dakar doing so well in Malle Moto till he struck bad luck near the end.

Bring on Dakar 2020 .  :ricky:

Ps also so good to see Joey having grown into such a confident , well-deserved leader and motivational speaker from the shy guy we first met at Amageza ( 2013 ? ) and still so humble .  :3some:

Offline Rynet

« Reply #1535 on: January 22, 2019, 07:52:14 am »
Thank you guys for the vote.  :3some:

It's nice to know my obsessions are appreciated.  Well maybe not all of them  :imaposer: ( YES HONDA and Joan Barreda will be back : :peepwall: :pot: :ricky:)

There was so many that contributed , just to mention a few, : J K for the doing all the recce work on this thread long before the rest of us jumped on and then quietly carried on with your important updates and comments.  :thumleft:

Dux , who didn't even make the list , thanks.  :thumleft:

Really appreciate the technical input by Adie Weedkiller and Kamanya, also Steve who popped up on the last day , wish you could comment more.

Nice to see Doerengone still followed the race on here all the way from Portugal .   :hello:

What I particularly appreciated this year from the riders - and the groupies here on WD's -  is the humour.  Toby and Laia's bet kept the Dakar more lighthearted than the Cyril and Coma combo , hey .  :lol8:

We always laugh at the translations of the usual Spanish and French translations but this year adding Russian to the mix was just hilarious  :spitcoffee:

Offline Rynet

« Reply #1536 on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:17 am »
Some last few posts I found that was funny/ cute and that I didn't have time to post at the time .

Mirjam Pol who came 49th.  :thumleft:

A few quotes from Dutch tv:

http://www.rtlgp.nl/item/189348/pol_muurvast_in_het_zand_quot_wilde_een_postcode_

Mirjam said her bike was planted so firmly in the sand, she considered applying for a mail address at that spot.

http://www.rtlgp.nl/item/189350/jimmink_ziet_af_quot_al_een_week_aan_de_schijteri

58 y old Martien Jimmink, severely suffering from diarrhea, said the had to leave his tent 11 times past night because of that.
Interviewer: “what is causing it, is it the stress from Dakar?”
Martien: “ no son, it’s bacteria”

Quote of the day?

http://www.rtlgp.nl/item/189349/een_bedankje_voor_mirjam_pol

Herwin Hopmans said he never would have made it through the dunes without Mirjam’s help. Went to her after the stage to say thank you and give her kiss (“I will kiss her. On the cheek mind you!”).
Mirjam’s reaction: “yes, you were rather stuck, you might have applied for that mail address as well”

In fact Mirjam is the guardian angel for many of the (Dutch) guys in the back of the fields. She often stops to help out, which probably explains the variation in her time between waypoints. 

:thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:04:19 am by Rynet »

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #1537 on: January 22, 2019, 08:07:41 am »
Right 2 things

Nothing hypothetical about it he was beaten by a girl  :lol8:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:21:57 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Rynet

« Reply #1538 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:21 am »
From Adv Rider
"Germany has a 100% finisher rate. Yes I know, only one German started.
Thanks everyone for the F5irehose and @misc for the tracker. I had nearly no time to follow the race this year, baut what I saw was great.
"

:spitcoffee:

Sebastian Buhler 20th  :thumleft:

Offline Rynet

« Reply #1539 on: January 22, 2019, 08:19:26 am »
Ok I am facinated by Anastasiya , she is so small and cute and likable and friendly and capable and she is .......................Russian.
I mean she has the Russian police as a sponsor. That's kinda intriguing and scary at the same time .  :biggrin:

sportautogirlsracecompetitionsmotorcyclesRussiaphotophoto girlscarsphotossportswomen

Translated from Russian

Meet and be proud: Russian Anastasia Nifontova, the first woman to beat the Dakar rally alone!
The article "The Quintessence of Steepness" in the "Wikipedia" should illustrate her photos. For example, here such, as in this collection.
Text: Mark Zalkind

( trying to find the link )

"While you are wrapping yourself in a cozy stove and drinking hot valenki with burning tears of longing for the barefoot summer, sly riders from all over the world have taken shelter from the weather and cold in Peru: the 41st super-superperper-adult shooter prestigious Dakar rally marathon took place there.
About the fact that the Russian team "KAMAZ-master" won for the 16th time in history (and its leader, Eduard Nikolaev, for the fourth time in his career), let him tell you the website of the Freight Chronicle or neighbors in line for a minibus. Our mission on this planet is to tell you about the sports feat of our compatriot and motorcycle racer Anastasia Nifontova.
Protecting the colors of the Russian anthem in the Original by Motul category (cruel thing: participants are forbidden to take a mother, grandmother and even a mechanic on the road - if something happens, it is necessary to repair the equipment with your own little hands and proudly reject the help extended by the outside world), she did what you ( Yes, and we, which is already there) can never: became the first woman to beat the distance alone! Thousands of kilometers, for a minute (to make it clearer, these are millions of your walker from the couch to the fridge).
In the final classification of Original by Motul Anastasia, writes Eurosport, became the ninth, and in the overall standings of motorcyclists - the 60th.

If you are asked about Anastasia in the fascist dungeons, say the following: I was born on January 19, 1979 (that is, tomorrow she is 40!). Master of sports of international class in motorsports, double world vice-champion (2014 and 2016), vice-champion of Dakar 2017 in the women's competition and so on and so forth. The only girl in Russia who entered the national top three in the five types of racing: motocross, enduro, cross-country rally, supermoto, road-ring races. Wound up? Okholoni: married, two children - a daughter and a son.
We congratulate our compatriot with success and offer to look at her health gallery of rare photos from her social networks. In these pictures, she doesn’t rush anywhere, doesn’t win anything - she just makes the world a better place with her handiness, charm and fervent look! "