Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 9706 times)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2019, 10:36:43 am »
It's good to hear that you can get parts so easy and quickly for this project!  :thumleft:

Yes I'm amazed.

When I had the Dakar it was quicker for me to order parts from MAX BMW in USA than getting stuff from local BMW.

They loved to say "Might take 3 weeks to 3 months" - sorry but how do you run a business like that ???

Well I guess that is why Hammand Motorad closed down  :-\

Offline lone riderer

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • travel.
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:27 am »
Impressive project! Crazy to see the bike torn down like this.

What was the reason for the seizure? I vaguely recall the for sale thread.

What is your general impression of the condition of the mechanics of the bike given the mileage and use?
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 03:51:34 pm »

What is your general impression of the condition of the mechanics of the bike given the mileage and use?

I bought the bike with the knowledge that it had heat-seized - apparently due to a water-pump failure.
When i stripped the barrel & piston out, it had not seized, in fact it was in very reasonable condition - so much so that after a bath in parrafin, i sent it off to be hermatically measured  :biggrin: :biggrin: - in a temperature & humidity controlled measuring room, the barrel & piston both came back well within original spec. I did not replace either, but I have put new rings in, purely as a precaution and as the motor was open. I was extremely happy with the mechanical component condition and I am happy with the bits I have done.

The rest of the motor, gearbox etc., is in pretty fine condition. I measured runout and thrust washer thickness tolerance - all within spec, same with the selector fingers and all the gears. I replaced the waterpump, complete with the seals and drive gears (you have to split the motor for this)
 The output shaft splines are worn, but thats not in the budget (sadly) at the moment. I have however replaced the white metal bearing on the crank (R2500 per set of 4 halves) and all the roller bearings in the motor (R500 from BMG) as well as the wheel bearings, chain rollers, and steering head bearings.
Also replaced all the bushes in the suspension, along with the seals.

There is a fair amount of general wear on the bike (plastics have had a hard time) and the chain has eaten a small section of the underside of the swingarm where it wore through the slider strip - and into the bearing cage..... This will be dressed, but thats all.

These are apparently pretty strong bikes - although I have not got to a point anywhere near starting it - I did manage to start motor assembly this weekend, but I forgot to do valve stem seals (I have them already, just forgot to do the job), so that will wait till Saturday morning when I can get to Halfdaft.

In the emantime I also have a XT500 that is nearing completion.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 01:21:11 pm »

I bought the bike with the knowledge that it had heat-seized - apparently due to a water-pump failure.

There is a fair amount of general wear on the bike (plastics have had a hard time) and the chain has eaten a small section of the underside of the swingarm where it wore through the slider strip - and into the bearing cage..... This will be dressed, but thats all.
/quote]

Interesting that the damage on the bike was everywhere else but the piston and sleeve - where you expected it most.
I sell lots of BoosterPlugs to keep especially air cooled R1200's cool (a small bit of petrol to cool down the pistons and valves) to prevent piston seizure and wear (pistons expand due to heat and start wearing away against the sleeves, also causes temporary seizures). Apart from this, I have had rave reviews from 650 single owners saying that their bikes go much better.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:23:31 pm by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Sandvreter

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Is that you Juliaaaas?
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2019, 02:59:48 pm »
If you dont mind , please do tell us at aome point where you actually managed to source most of the parts please?
I bleed next to my bike , thanks.
BMW 1200GS BMW F800GSA , Xchallenge 650, Ducati Diavel, Yamaha yz250f, KTM 300, Suzuki GS850G, Kawasaki 750Z, VFR400, tricycle...hi-techs....feet....knees....elbows...hands...

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2019, 03:34:00 pm »
If you dont mind , please do tell us at aome point where you actually managed to source most of the parts please?

All the bearings and seals are available from BMG (Bearing Man)
All the other bits came from BMW - Auto Alpina in Boksburg - BMW SA carries a lot of the items off-the shelf in Midrand, so i get them the next day.
Startline has a pretty good range on "consumables" - so bulbs, brake pads, indicators, brake levers, cables, chains - even clutch plates!
And a few items from this forum.....

I will continue with the report tomorrow - work is very interfering.....
 :P

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

The following users thanked this post: Sandvreter

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2019, 01:19:59 pm »
Here is what we have currently – lets just assume that “Some Assembly required” will cover it….

Another part that received attention was the front engine mount – the twin spars that hold the front of the engine and the bash-plate and rad – circled in red…..

The one mount was broken – the cap-screw snapped off in the alu upright – I tried heat, force with vice-grips – nothing doing…

So onto plan “B” – made up a small bracket out of a double-layer of flat bar, welded together, with another piece welded on at 90-deg. This will keep the drill at 90deg in 2-axis.

I then drilled a small 1.5mm hole in the end of it and on the reverse side, drilled a shallow 6mm hole – this will use the damaged M6 capscrew to “locate” the centre of the damaged capscrew. Ground the capscrew flat and used the 1.5mm pilot hole to drill the centre of the capscrew.

Drilled it all out to 3mm and tried a Eez-out – nada……
Then drilled it to 5mm and used a M6 tap and re-cut the thread. Job Done…..

Offline lone riderer

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • travel.
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2019, 07:45:22 pm »
love that first photo, the XC as sculpture!

You will literally know this bike inside out in the end  O0
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2019, 08:39:30 am »
Yup = thank you!
I can completely strip the X without a manual now - but its been a steep learning curve!
I got a complete new rear mudguard from @alwyn_gs on Saturday - thanks Alwyn, much appreciated - this will go a long way to sorting everything out.
As the new rear mudguard id blue, I am thinking about getting the whole bike wrapped in BMW blue, with white accents,  instead of the other way around - I will see when we get to that point!

more to follow.....

The following users thanked this post: alwyn_gs

Offline GRUNT

• Grunt
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
14 days later, after checking everyday, still nothing?...... Blitsie deserves better than this!!! :'(
come now young man, pull finger!
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2019, 07:26:42 am »
14 days later, after checking everyday, still nothing?...... Blitsie deserves better than this!!! :'(
come now young man, pull finger!

:imaposer:
Some progress was made - but I took 10 days off and went to North Natal to chill with the family a bit
Will see what I can do about posting later....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2019, 01:56:05 pm »
So – onto the bearings – firstly was the front & rear wheel bearings – used a brass rod to hammer them out, and installed with a long M10 threaded rod – also heated all the hubs with a heat gun, and left the bearings in the freezer for an hour, add a little Q20 to the mix – pretty much went as per the plan!!

Also did the steering head bearings – pretty knackered as you can see!!

And assembled the steering – ready to go back onto the frame!

And then the 2 casings arrived back from Justin at MottorradTech – he pushed the half-shells into the casings for me – and didn’t charge….. Brilliant service once again!!

But then I decided that while the motor was split, I may as well replace all the roller bearings as well – back to BMG – another R497, so not bad at all – I am pleased!

All nice & Shiny!

And then add this...

And this

Please note the 2 necessary pieces of equipment, one only at the end of the day tho… The laptop with the instruction manual and a beer to try and calm down…..

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:45 pm »
Mmm - an empty beer bottle☺
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2019, 04:24:26 pm »

Please note the 2 necessary pieces of equipment, one only at the end of the day tho… The laptop with the instruction manual and a beer to try and calm down…..

Oooooooooh SHINY :drif:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline GRUNT

• Grunt
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2019, 09:50:57 pm »
Good going and welcome back! :biggrin:
I really enjoy this thread, following the progress keenly, can't wait till Blitsie's dignity has been restored :thumleft:
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2019, 11:56:21 am »
Right – added a new gasket to the to halves and joined them up – bolted them together and torqued down as per the manual – things are looking good!!

Next job was to replace the valve stem seals – which involved a trip out at @Halfdaft to use his valve compressor tools – and then a few hours of valve-seat grinding – may as well get this done properly hey?

Once back home, I battled with the valve spring compressor tools until I decided just to go and buy a proper set – and then it was job over in 10 minutes – money well spent!!

So, the order of events dictates that the next step is to install the barrel on the piston – now, I have a very fine piston ring compressor, however its not a split type, so is rendered useless by the fact that the head slides onto the barrel that’s already attached to the con-rod, instead of installing the piston in the barrel and then attaching the con-rod to the crank. So we need to make a plan – which is done with a piece of plastic from a margarine tub, and a 104mm diameter heavy-duty hose-clamp from Steelmate – oh, and a whole load of patience….

Next – torque the head down and install the cam chain – making sure the timing marks are correct. I have to say at this point that BMW makes all of this very easy making idiot-proof marks and an ingenious groove ground onto the bottom/side of the crank (Pic Below in yellow), that locks and locates TDC with a tapered allan bolt – locks everything up so that you can torque bits – ingenious!

Next was to install the motor in the frame – this posed its own problems as I don’t have an overhead crane to lower the frame onto the motor.
Some 3 hours later, a little loss of skin, a reprimand from the neighbour regarding my language within hearing distance of his 5-year old daughter, and the inventive use of 3 jacks – one to hold the bottom of the motor, one to lower/raise the front of the motor (so it swivels on an axis) and one to lower the frame – I managed to get it all in by myself…..

The filter box ontop is to make me feel good….
The eagle-eyed will also notice that the side-covers on the motor are not on – on either side – this is because they clutch basket on one side and the magneto on the other need to be torqued to stupid values and I decided that woud be easier to accomplish with the motor in the frame – its was…..

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2019, 11:58:36 am »
Oh - forgot - I was doing the piston/head installation on a Saturday - and then I tore the base gasket....

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Needless to say, BMW was already closed - so I had to wait for Monday to order a new one - patience is apparently the name of the game here.....

Offline Piet

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2019, 12:24:43 pm »
 :happy1: I love this thread! Thanks for the update CT!

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2019, 05:46:49 pm »
sub'd!
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline alwyn_gs

• Gelände/Strasse - Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • With my loving wife, Michelle - let's do this!!
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2019, 08:01:17 am »
 :o naaaaice progress

Patience is a virtue....  :pot:
RR:Sani 2013, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=131550.0, Honeymoon 2014 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=153612.0
Livinstone Lite 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162532.0, Om Lesotho 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168999.0
Skoeters : Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC), Military Fuel Tanker (R1200GSA AC 142 690km - decommisioned)
G650XMoto, G650XCountry-pilotted by Michelle