Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 9383 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2019, 12:12:56 pm »
Might be a tad easier to have that plate waterjet or laser cut than to machine?

Probably - but HalfDaft has a small CNC mill at home..... :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2019, 02:36:39 pm »
So the next step was to remove/install/remove/install the top triple-clamp and get the dampener mounted, dully completed as so

And then onto the the pin that supplies the pressure for the dampener to work - there is no off-the-shelf solution for this, and I was not in favour of welding a bracket to the frame, so I saw another thread where the protagonist built a bracket over the top of the centre support frame,so I went with that option....

First step, as always, is to make a template, and test-fit it....

Next, was to cut some 3mm steel plate into the correct shape, trim some folding channels, and cold-bend it in the vice - it came out a bit skew, but nothing that some abuse with a 4lb hammer couldn't rectify....
Grabbed an extended 8mm cap-screw, cut it off, ground the correct (eyeballed) angle onto it and welded it in place, having removed the battery and ECU, and trimmed the end flat....

A little touch-up paint, and leave it to dry....

Next day - installed...

Covers fitted - looks great!!

Then on Sunday, off for a test ride, with some fella's from the South, had a great ride nothing broke..... No pics as I left my water reservoir at home, with everything in it....

And the @Halfdaft sent me pics of the new top-bracket he has finished machining - this is purrdy!!!

He also had a couple of flat plates laser-cut, to support the tail section, which is cracked, and has a load of flex, so we designed these shiny bits behind the indicators....

Next Time......
The fuel cell brackets I think?
And maybe some ride pics.....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline noble steed

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2019, 12:00:49 pm »
My tail section was just strengthened with some flat steel plate, a hacksaw and black spray paint. Not as pretty, but does the job!

I've never had any problems with the front end twitching, so never felt the need for a damper. Does it make a big difference? (In the limited amount of riding you've done on the X)
Maybe I just don't ride fast enough...

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2019, 12:12:53 pm »
My tail section was just strengthened with some flat steel plate, a hacksaw and black spray paint. Not as pretty, but does the job!

I've never had any problems with the front end twitching, so never felt the need for a damper. Does it make a big difference? (In the limited amount of riding you've done on the X)

Saved my arse twice on Sunday - once on a fairly steep off-camber downhill, long right, was probably going faster than normal, but probably no more than about 50kmh, so not that quick or anything, we were a IT490, XR650L with a load of suspension bits, CRF450, KLR650 - I was behind the IT490, clipped a rock on the left which threw the bike right, when the front bounced again, it held the line, rather than throwing me off...
Second incident was on a rocky section, about tenni-ball size, about 250m through the bush, certainly helped me there as it stopped the steering bouncing to the side... Also on the fast tracks with lots of marbles, it just helps tracking
Necessary? Probably not....
Nice to have? Hell yeah!!
And I had it at home anyway, it is interchangeable with my GSA - 2 cap screws, 20-seconds.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2019, 03:36:15 pm »
Next was additional Fuel - I looked around and had some luck with a Long range tank, but unfortunately the funds are low until I can get the R1200GSA sold, so we must make a plane!!

First, @Halfdaft made me the hoop, with the plate welded accross the middle, with a M10 nut welded on the back. I positioned the hoop using scrap wood i had in the wood pile, held together creatively with masking tape....

Checked for clearance and welded up some brackets, and bits & bobs... and...

Works alright I think!

And finished product

Went for a 333.5km blast down to Villiers & back on some lekker dirt roads on Monday...

Offline lone riderer

• travel.
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2019, 07:39:57 am »

Never needed one either, although my front rim may tell a different story..
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline lone riderer

• travel.
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2019, 07:42:17 am »
Bike is looking good! How is it running?

I need to order a new fuel filter from Ebay. Did you replace yours?
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #267 on: July 16, 2019, 01:59:18 pm »
Bike is looking good! How is it running?

I need to order a new fuel filter from Ebay. Did you replace yours?

Sorry - only saw this nearly a month later - whats with that??
No - the filter looked brand new - however I am going to have to do some work around the fuel pump wiring, its a complete abortion - at some point the bike must have had the issues regarding the burnt wires, so they wired the pump direct;y, going through holes drilled in the black pump cap, and sealed with QBond - then bullet connectors on the outside - insulated - works, but not pretty...... I want to scrap the whole system and re-do the plug that goes through the cap.
Anyway, another days issues.....

Offline lone riderer

• travel.
« Reply #268 on: July 16, 2019, 09:47:25 pm »
I wonder if the previous owner had replaced that fuel filter then because at that mileage it should have already had issues given our conditions. Anyway, get the filter from fuelperformance.co.za for R350 and the pump for R1500 if you need.

I wanted to ask you, your usb charger, piped straight onto the battery hence the switch? I want to have mine run on ignition only but I know jack about electrics.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #269 on: July 17, 2019, 07:39:35 am »
I wonder if the previous owner had replaced that fuel filter then because at that mileage it should have already had issues given our conditions. Anyway, get the filter from fuelperformance.co.za for R350 and the pump for R1500 if you need.

I wanted to ask you, your usb charger, piped straight onto the battery hence the switch? I want to have mine run on ignition only but I know jack about electrics.

Filter/pump was probably done - I don't know the complete history, so it's very possible it was done....

The USB - it is wired directly to the battery, with a fuse (10A I think) at the battery, the unit has a built-in LED back-light, hence the switch. I had it laying at home, but if I had bought one, I would have opted for the non-illuminated unit and skipped the switch. the positioning and the plate is for ease-of-use, I haven't decided where the final position should be. Also, as my ignition switch is an after-market unit from Startline, there are additional wires that I still need to test to see what are live when the ignition key is in the 3 different "on" positions - I was in a rush when I was doing this, then I got lazy.....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #270 on: July 17, 2019, 08:20:00 am »
Also Added a new GPS this weekend too...

Offline noble steed

« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2019, 11:20:41 am »

I have one of these - works well, has a switch built in to adapter, GPS hasn't experienced power issues while plugged into it (yet)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V1-5A-Waterproof-USB-Charger-Socket-Adapter-Power-Outlet-for-12V-24V-Kq/283550869692?hash=item4204f2e8bc:m:mhPTto3dqmYpp3mfkG5LSSA

Have a 8 way fuse box (similar to this https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Way-Standard-LED-Circuit-Blade-Fuse-Box-Kit-6-Volts-30-Amp-Way-Output-Marine/173628403606?hash=item286d0f2f96:g:KsIAAOSw5dlaEAJ3) wired to battery sitting under rally fairing, everything else, including HID lights,  all runs off that

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2019, 11:43:42 am »

I have one of these - works well, has a switch built in to adapter, GPS hasn't experienced power issues while plugged into it (yet)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V1-5A-Waterproof-USB-Charger-Socket-Adapter-Power-Outlet-for-12V-24V-Kq/283550869692?hash=item4204f2e8bc:m:mhPTto3dqmYpp3mfkG5LSSA

Have a 8 way fuse box (similar to this https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Way-Standard-LED-Circuit-Blade-Fuse-Box-Kit-6-Volts-30-Amp-Way-Output-Marine/173628403606?hash=item286d0f2f96:g:KsIAAOSw5dlaEAJ3) wired to battery sitting under rally fairing, everything else, including HID lights,  all runs off that

Nice goodies - At some point I may go the Nav Tower route, then I will certainly look at that fuse setup....

That USB switch is what I need - I want to move the switch off of the handlebars and down into the dash area somehow.....

Offline lone riderer

• travel.
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2019, 08:36:34 am »
I've got the weatherproof usb with led rim light. No switch and wired direct. Ran my battery flat twice. Haven't found a proper weatherproof switch yet. I like that unit NobleSteed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk