Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The UAE...  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Skaiidawg

Re: The UAE...
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 09:07:06 am »
The spine supports the top ring, the top ring supports the cables, the cables support the glass.
But what supports the spine if it does not hang on the bottom ring?

Somewhere you are missing something. The spine is supported by means of connections to the bottom ring, the drawing clearly show that, the only difference is that the spine is shorter and not sticking out from the bottom ring like in the drawing.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 09:15:20 am »
This is a typical Gate House’s external progress.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:18:44 am by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 12:20:41 pm »
We continue....

In the following picture you can see the VGDS system installed to the gantry. The VGDS (Visual Guidance Docking System) is a visual aid/tool for the pilot to know where to park and stop the plane exactly for the passengers to embark or dis-embark. It’s the 3 yellow boxes with 608 on it.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »

The PBB (Passenger boarding bridges) being installed. They are designed and manufactured by Thuyssenkrupp.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 01:37:40 pm »
BIM models of the anatomy of a Gate House. The flow of passengers through the Gate House will be as follow. The PBB’s (passenger boarding bridges) are connected to the GH on level 2. Departing passengers will come from check-in and passport control on level 2 through the PBB onto the plane. For obvious reasons departing and arriving passengers are segregated from each other, so arriving passengers get off the plane also on level 2, but with a series of sliding glass doors the passengers are directed towards level 3 via escalators, elevators and for the fit ones stairs. 

The basement where the heart and lungs are of the gatehouse. The PCA (pre cooled air) units are located here which in turn are connected to the plane when parked to give you the air-conditioning while sitting and waiting for the other plebs to arrive and take their seats, while smacking you on the head with their un-controllable hand luggage.

External connections and services to and from the GH basements.

Finished product as can be seen in the pics posted above.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2019, 08:17:29 pm »
Amazing. Please keep this thread alive! :thumleft:

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 08:30:20 pm »
The spine supports the top ring, the top ring supports the cables, the cables support the glass.
But what supports the spine if it does not hang on the bottom ring?

Somewhere you are missing something. The spine is supported by means of connections to the bottom ring, the drawing clearly show that, the only difference is that the spine is shorter and not sticking out from the bottom ring like in the drawing.

The drawing shows thin steel members or cables from the bottom ring to the bottom of the spine. Yet these are not present in the image below.
Nor is the spine visible.  Yet I presume the glass would require support from the spine.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 08:31:53 pm »
I see cables from the concrete level (unbelievable thick concrete there)

Maybe they decided to suspend the spine much higher.

Offline WrightJnr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 09:51:20 pm »
Great thread. Following with interest. Me and the family are moving to a Dubai in April. We are looking forward to it.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2019, 07:05:40 am »

At the concrete level is a ring where all the supports are coming from. The supports for the spine is also from there, see the marked-up picture below.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 07:09:59 am »
Great thread. Following with interest. Me and the family are moving to a Dubai in April. We are looking forward to it.

Just in time for summer........ >:D >:D.......... Welcome welcome

Offline WrightJnr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 07:34:38 am »

Just in time for summer........ >:D >:D.......... Welcome welcome

Yeah. Not the best planning. LOL. Even worse, my wife and kids arrive late June. But hay, summer comes around every year, as does the awesome winter.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2019, 07:39:46 am »

At the concrete level is a ring where all the supports are coming from. The supports for the spine is also from there, see the marked-up picture below.

Yes, thanks. Those are the cables I was referring to.

PS  Don't know if I missed it somewhere: What is your background/job and involvement with these projects?

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2019, 08:49:58 am »

PS  Don't know if I missed it somewhere: What is your background/job and involvement with these projects?

No have not mentioned it before. I am a construction planner, in short I am a jack of all trades, master of none  :imaposer:. Generating time schedules, project controls, time impact analysis, claims etc... 

If the project is doing good, the construction manager have done a great job. When the project is delayed the planner is to blame for a kak programme. Ask @Kobus Myburgh    :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:53:48 am by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2019, 09:20:05 am »
Cranes galore..

MEWPS and steelwork…

Steel and more steel. The red towers are supports for the arches during erection. Steel arches and structure of the main building.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:24:18 am by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2019, 09:29:54 am »
In these pictures below you can see the “hanging scaffold” that hangs from the roof structure that we used to install the high level ceiling. The hanging scaffold gave us room to do other construction on the floor below. The hanging scaffold was used in favour of traditional scaffold which would have restricted access to the departures floor for about 11 months. I cant remember now but it would have been something like 2-3 million m³ of scaffold!

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2019, 10:22:17 am »
Awesome stuff  :thumleft: :thumleft: love those all-terrain mobile cranes, crawlers not so much though
Just because your bachelors did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »
Exterior glazing being installed.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2019, 12:28:42 pm »
A visitor from the far away Zantogialica galaxy came and visited us today, however when he learned about the disappearance of the Incanonian Marinahs, he zapped the closest earthlings into a temporary stupor that lasted for about 5 milliseconds before he planted a deadly Krioniancycary virus that nearly devoured this building. 

OK back to reality.... :laughing4:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:30:13 pm by Skaiidawg »

Online I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2019, 12:41:13 pm »
Are the steel sections manufactured in UAE or imported?
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.