Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The UAE...  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Skaiidawg

Re: The UAE...
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 01:59:54 pm »
Are the steel sections manufactured in UAE or imported?

Raw material imported from wherever, manufactured here in the UAE. Manufacturing and installation by China State Construction.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 02:03:18 pm by Skaiidawg »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline WrightJnr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2019, 02:59:38 pm »
I watched an interesting documentary the other day on how they use the steel columns for foundations. Due to the “sand” how deep they need to go to find bedrock. Some real interesting engineering challenges to overcome.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2019, 07:29:03 am »

Finishing the roof bullnose and soffit.

Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2019, 07:34:27 am »
How many tonnes of glass is that?
And does it need to be cleaned often or do sandstorms blast the grime off?

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2019, 07:36:15 am »
The high level ceiling after installation and removal of the hanging scaffold.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2019, 07:44:08 am »
How many tonnes of glass is that?
And does it need to be cleaned often or do sandstorms blast the grime off?

I was about to post that I only have pictures of the front of the building and not of the piers, which also have plenty of glass. I have absolutely no idea haw many tonnes of glass have been installed on this project. But to give you an idea, it is 12mm double pane glass panels of different sizes, anything from 180kg and up.

On the front of the building is a BMU (building maintenance unit) being installed which will be used to access all the panels for cleaning.

It need to be cleaned often as the sand accumulates in the corners and after a short while start to look sh!t.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2019, 07:57:05 am »
Here are a series of pictures of the interior of the Piers, specifically a hold room. Its called a hold room as this is where the sheep are gathered before going onto the flying sausage 
This hold room was done to serve as a benchmark for all the other hold rooms.

Some of you sharp eyed construction people might have noticed there is no fire sprinkler system in the high level ceiling. It is not that the designers have said there will never be a fire, they employed a VESDA (Very Early Smoke Detection Alarm) system. It is a series of detection devices installed through-out the building on the ceiling panels which will detect, as the name implies, smoke and set off alarms and bells and whistles and in turn the cavalry will storm in, fire hoses unreeling, wielding fireman's axes and kill the smoker or rather the source of the smoke or fire.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2019, 08:05:46 am »
Holdroom continue...

At least if there does not seem to be progress we asked people to pose in the pictures to show something different.... :imaposer:

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2019, 08:16:45 am »

1 aspect of the ceiling that bugs me, is the fact that the ceiling panels does not align very good with each other, making erratic lines. Well we have built it to spec and design, nothing we can do about it. I suppose we have to live with it and when you travel through this airport don’t look at the ceiling…

And the final look of a typical hold room.

The big stainless steel tower maghefter-dildo-thingy is called a binnacle and serves as a shaft to bring the MEP services and HVAC from the lower level to levels 2 & 3. The 2 short similar looking maghefters serves the same purpose albeit only for cooled air.

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2019, 08:49:53 am »
This is impressive. Would this project be in the trillions of Rands?

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2019, 09:45:19 am »
This is impressive. Would this project be in the trillions of Rands?

No, not trillions but billions. Here is an old report but you get the feeling of the price.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/abu-dhabi-government-approves-midfield-terminal-complex-at-adia-1.974308

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2019, 10:39:17 am »
Sjo many MEWPS on site,

I work for Eazi Access here in SA,  would love to get a project like this  :drif:

Had a skype interview with Access company in Qatar a couple of months ago,  sure looks like an exciting area to work

hak vrystaat

Offline Fransw

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:38 pm »
Cool thread Skaiidawg! Subscribed!.. :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Skaiidawg

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2019, 08:33:17 am »
Every year there is this event in the desert called the Liwa Hill climb. Hill is actually wrong, its a very steep dune where they host a drag race up the dune. Mega bucks are being spend to get the cars ready for this race, it is good fun to watch.

The Joker car..... :o :o

Here is the latest video I could get on youtube, if ever you are in the UAE during this time make the effort and go watch it.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:35:23 am by Skaiidawg »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2019, 09:12:28 am »
Some of them are really funny!

What fuel do they use? - looks like freaking jet fuel  :patch:
Eat life!

Offline Fransw

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2019, 01:21:46 pm »
@Skaiidawg I heard they are busy with a HUGE 'ecopark' in Dubai. Do you know anything about that?

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2019, 02:59:27 pm »
@Fransw - I have no idea of that construction, will check.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2019, 03:01:12 pm »

What fuel do they use?

Parafien.... :imaposer:  I have no clue what fuel they are using.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Fransw

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »

Maybe they are still in the planning phase? Not sure, will look for the article..

Offline Fransw

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2019, 07:33:43 pm »

Maybe they are still in the planning phase? Not sure, will look for the article..

Its  called 'King Salman energy park'.https://www.arabianbusiness.com/article/409340?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl_en_pm