Beach bumming Mozambique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpat

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Intro

Few years back I tried to ride on the little tracks I plotted on sat images along the Moz coast from Marracuene just north of Maputo all the way to Vilankulos. I have managed way less than half of the planned tracks and had to chicken out the rest on EN1 tar as I was just not good enough to drag heavy ass rally kitted KTM 690 through all that sand in the available time. That failure has been recorded for posterity here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=188438.0

So I had a score to settle. Being few years wiser I upgraded to KTM 500 to avoid big bike fatigue that defeated me last time. The plan was simple - start home in Midrand, make it to the coast at Macaneta in Mozambique through Swaziland to avoid Komatjipoort, and then hit the tracks I have plotted along the coast all the way to Vilankulos. For return leg Runner gave me a pipeline track that shortcutted inland almost straight from  Vilankulos to Komatjipoort and then back to Midrand via whatever dirt roads there are. Like so:

39932172133_0f43008e6f_b.jpg

I pinged Straatkat and JustBendIt, whom I used for company on my last trip through Kaokoland, but they both used elaborate and improbable excuses to stay out - I'm pretty sure they wussed out because they were just scared of the sand and myself. So solo it was.

With that sorted, I packed up and set-off on November 5th.

Edit: All the GPS tracks from this trip are too big to be attached to single post. Hence attached to this post are the GPS tracks for the Moz portion of the trip along the coast up to Pomene. The rest of the tracks from Pomene, through to Vilankulos and then back to SA are posted here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=233639.msg4206141#msg4206141

Attachments

• Day 2 Namaacha - Macaneta.GPX
    371.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Day 3 Marracuene to Bilene.GPX
    366.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Day 4 - Bilene to Zona Braza.GPX
    535.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Day 5 - Zona Braza to Zavora.GPX
    445.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Day 6 - Zavora to Tofo.GPX
    320 KB · Views: 93
  • Day 9 - Tofo to Pomene.GPX