Two tanks same problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
For interest, I had my R1150GSA tank resprayed, put it all back together known good fuel pump but old filter and I had an intermittent blocked vent or fuel starvation issue. In the interim I had my GS tank resprayed, which I refitted, so this weekend, out riding and with a low tank level it runs but died when opened up, fuel starvation, fill it up and it runs ok, but got worse over the day. But it got me home. Anyway, last night I took the tank off and pulled the pump out, all looked 100% then I removed the “teabag” prefilter and voila the fine metal mesh pump inlet is covered in a 1mm thick layer of sort of black fibrous gunk? Cleaned it off reassembled it, fired straight up and sounded sweet. So I grabbed the GSA tank same exercise same result. I think the black gunk was overspray and in use it came free in the petrol was fine enough to go through the teabag filter and accumulated at the pump inlet gauze. So all sorted and hopefullly all good, so if you get fuel starvation issues check the pump inlet behind the teabag filter.  8)