Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Skieting toll booths  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Epilot

Skieting toll booths
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:40:07 am »
Apologies if this has been discussed before. Who pays toll fees when on your bike.
I prefer not to, as I donít believe itís fair for a bike to pay the same as a car with a trailer with 4 of my bikes on the back.
The reason for posting this is on a recent trip to Natal I followed a car through the Villiers toll booth and the car got upset with me and braked to stop me in the lane. I was able to ride round them and carry on, but they were really pissed with me.

For legal reasons this might not have happened to me, just putting it out there.

Offline Straatkat

Re: Skieting toll booths
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:01:44 am »
The best way is on the far left when a truck goes through, there is enough space to slip past the truck and the booth does not even know you slipped through...not that I ever did this you understand,
it would be breaking the law and also unconstitutional to say the least, so I would naturally refrain from such behavior.
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009),  KTM 950 SE(2007)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 10:10:34 am »
I would never have sat on the bumper of a car and run a booth - or a truck for that matter.
That would just be wrong & stuff.
And I REALLY dont like like it when a bike does it to me.....
 :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:14:02 am »
They do have cameras and every once in a while especially when managers are around they actually do a follow up and issue fines which is apparently steep.

I am too much of a bangat,  and law abiding citizen so I just always pay.

The following users thanked this post: husky, ETS

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15:06 am »
i love moral people , down with immoral laws

if they made child rape legal ....... i still would not rape children
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:29:48 am »
This has been discussed before but itís discussion always worth revisiting in the spirit of banter ( just as one would endlessly debate the resurgence of the Bulls in super-rugby, or whether Julius M woulld have a numberplate on his superbike (red) if he rode one).

Nothwithstanding Straatkatís impeccable uprightness ( :biggrin:), it always behoves  any motorcyclist to transgress WRT issues of tolling in general and N tolling in particular. We live in an era where the individual is subject to bureaucratic oppression at every level, and in the spirit of being on a motorcycle, resistance is a natural modality to occupy.

Along with not displaying a number plate, I love the idea of individuals in an empowering f-you moment, saying no ( to the kakínbetaal ) when faced with the same fees as cars, and sneaking through behind a car, or at best flamboyantly wheelieying past the barrier on the left, Hooligan pipe(s) baying in joy at their transgression.

Hunter Thompson in his seminal book on Hells Angels in the 1960ís unpacked the psychology of the en-caged motorist, with family meekly ensconced, suffering irrational outrage when alongside a motorcycle epitomizing the spirit of rebellion. Such is the potential we have for improving the tedious lives of Ďcagersí as they go through the humdrum routines of being fleeced yet again at toll stations. Itís a gift , isnít it  :laughing4: ...?!?!!!?

The following users thanked this post: Pullaway, RobC

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 12:38:50 pm »
If you dont pay e-Tolls, why would you pay other tolls?

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 03:05:27 pm »
I only tried it once. The rain was belting down and I was soaked and numb with cold. I really didn't want to stop and fuck around. I noticed  a narrow lane around the back of the far left pay booth, so I went around it.

The noise of the siren scared the shit out of me and nearly blew me off the bike.  :eek7:  I stopped and walked back a few meters and paid. Not a word was exchanged.  :-[

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:09:58 pm »
Aaahh that familiar sound when the sirens go off! Read my previous post CAREFULLY!
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.

The following users thanked this post: ClemS

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:23:27 pm »
Never seen a toll booth on dirt roads
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 03:31:26 pm »
Never seen a toll booth on dirt roads

Lambertsbaai to Elandsbaai

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
Someone I know who is not me in any way shape or form used to skip the toll gates all the time, his bike didnt have a numberplate fitted so he could give the finger to the etoll people. He had a few people not happy with his behavior but could not see how his behavior could have bothered them or negatively affected any other motorist on the roads, he saw it in the same light as people who tried to block him from lane splitting. They are not negatively impacted in any way shape or form but become outraged when he would try and get past them.

He ignored them and carried on lane splitting and skipping toll gates without any issue at all.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Epilot

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 05:25:16 pm »
If you tailgate a car close enough you wonít get the siren.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 08:19:21 pm »
Someone I know who is not me in any way shape or form used to skip the toll gates all the time, his bike didnt have a numberplate fitted so he could give the finger to the etoll people. He had a few people not happy with his behavior but could not see how his behavior could have bothered them or negatively affected any other motorist on the roads, he saw it in the same light as people who tried to block him from lane splitting. They are not negatively impacted in any way shape or form but become outraged when he would try and get past them.

He ignored them and carried on lane splitting and skipping toll gates without any issue at all.

It is a phenomenon called "Sunshine Syndrome" where another (cagers) does not want to see the sunshine upon another(biker, definitely, positively, not 2W Drift)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 09:00:27 pm »
Know what you are talking about. Those same farkers who dont open a gap for you or shout and act out when you lane split past them.  No impact whatsoever on them, but a case of spiteful envy.

A bit of lawlessness.....dont tell the poms.  They get envious behind their hot beer.. :laughing4:

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 02:22:22 pm »

It is a phenomenon called "Sunshine Syndrome" where another (cagers) does not want to see the sunshine upon another(biker, definitely, positively, not 2W Drift)

I shall tell the other rider that is not in any way shape or form me about this sunshine syndrome, he will probably appreciate it.

The only case where I think lane splitting can actually impact on a drivers is if the bike coming past scares them, I had this once where I coasted through traffic till I got to the front of the que and stopped just behind a woman busy texting. As soon as I pulled away and gave the bike a bit of throttle she go a moerse skrik and freaked out, I laughed so hard I nearly dropped my beer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:22:51 pm by 2wdrift »
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 06:09:12 pm »
I've never done it and never will. Its about your own ethics and values. One can easily push the envilope once you have crossed the line a couple of times. Each person have his own standards and its not for me to judge you but I will rather be part of the solution then part of the problem. If you can do this you csnt judge corrupt government officials, there is no difference.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

The following users thanked this post: TheBear, Lear300, Tom van Brits

Offline Bundu

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
I've never done it and never will. Its about your own ethics and values. One can easily push the envilope once you have crossed the line a couple of times. Each person have his own standards and its not for me to judge you but I will rather be part of the solution then part of the problem. If you can do this you csnt judge corrupt government officials, there is no difference.

in a sense I agree with you, but just like e-tolls are corrupt and were not communicated properly, normal tolls are unfair towards bikers and have been argued against without govt even considering the reasoning - I don't and will never pay e-tolls and skip normal tolls when the gap is there

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 07:50:52 pm »
In Zimbabwe bikes are exempted from paying toll at toll booths. Instead of taking over the land stealing concept from our neighbours, here is a very positive aspect that can be copied from Zim.   
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
    • WildWood Motorcycle Yours South Africa
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
I really don't understand why someone skipping a toll should upset anybody else.

Live and let live and stick with your own moral code and don't prescribe to me.