NO PAPERS / PERCIEVED VALUE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Often there are post/ adverts re items for sale , cars , bikes , trailers . these things normally should have papers . There are some that ( before NATIS) did not require to be registered , with the NATIS system introduction , all vehicles was supposed to be registered , but flaws in the system could not differentiate between road & offroad usage . This led to owners having to pay yearly licence fees on offroad only vehicles and these being not roadworthy made things very difficult to resell as the system asked for a RWC certificate . ( problems) Had a client that financed a 50 cc quad for his kid , had to get natis for it , and he paid a yearly licence and the kid used the quad in the garden , to get it undone was a major issue . think we eventually marked it as unrepairable , scrap to stop the fees .
Back to my header .
I think in most cases no papers can also be that the owner was in a similar situation and jus lost the papers , but if you try to put it on the road and go to the department , you could find that it was registered , but now have many years of back licence fees and penalties to be paid . NATIS does not automaticly scrap the vehicle for unpaid fees , it just accumulates, 2x fee . take this in mind for any outstanding licence fee.
And then value , saw a add for 2x land cruzer , they 50 year old vehicles , sold as unit for 300 k , no p[apers and one has a dead engine . same with bikes , old stuff that are put up for sale for plenty money .
but as the saying goes , there is a buyer for everything . Just be careful of the no papers part ,
NO PAPERS
All new vehicles that are used on a public road gets a new vehicle certificate from the importer , they are the only people that can produce this , if the importer changes , it is very possible that the new guys cant print a certificate for the old guys as the importer code changes , so make sure about this before buying . There is just about zero chance of getting past this legally .
next up duplicate papers . here only , and only the registered person can apply for a duplicate , takes about 2 weeks to get . If deceased then this becomes way more of a nightmare , lots of paperwork , and explanations and time wastage , but can be done . explaining that the owner is dead , does not seem to work well . there is no option on the Natis system for this information .
Hope this helps a bit when looking at buying anything that has no papers. A quad bike , offroad bike , boat , jetski , tractor ( some are) are generally not registered and pose little problem by not having papers . I have taken my Quads across the border many times , no papers , just boldly list the engine and chassis numbers on a A4 paper . easy for police to check , but this has never happened , by not hiding anything it was possibly assumed that it must be legal :)