Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Skieting toll booths  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
Re: Skieting toll booths
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:59 pm »
This happened back in 2007

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/tourer/Tollgate.jpg

Jou photofucket image wys nie aan my kant nie

Offline TheBear

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:48 pm »

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/tourer/Tollgate.jpg

Jou photofucket image wys nie aan my kant nie

Ek dink die image het Photobucket geskiet!  Ek sien dit ook nie.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 02:01:34 pm »
Section 120 of the Firearms Act specifically deals with the discharge of a firearm. The Act stipulates that, in terms of Section 120(3)(b), it is an offence to discharge a firearm, an antique firearm or an airgun in a “manner likely to injure or endanger the safety or property of any person or with reckless disregard for the safety or property of any person” and the Act further elaborates in Section 120(7) by providing that it is an offence to do so “in a built-up area or any public place, without good reason to do so.” The Act is silent in its definition of what qualifies as “good reason.”

Moet eerder nie 'n toll booth skiet nie. SAPS smaak dit nie en gaan jou in die trok gooi.

Skiet eerder blikke en waatlemoene op die plaas.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 02:22:30 pm »
Section 120 of the Firearms Act specifically deals with the discharge of a firearm. The Act stipulates that, in terms of Section 120(3)(b), it is an offence to discharge a firearm, an antique firearm or an airgun in a “manner likely to injure or endanger the safety or property of any person or with reckless disregard for the safety or property of any person” and the Act further elaborates in Section 120(7) by providing that it is an offence to do so “in a built-up area or any public place, without good reason to do so.” The Act is silent in its definition of what qualifies as “good reason.”

Moet eerder nie 'n toll booth skiet nie. SAPS smaak dit nie en gaan jou in die trok gooi.

Waarheen sal die trok oppad wees?   :peepwall: :lol8:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2019, 02:28:22 pm »

Waarheen sal die trok oppad wees?   :peepwall: :lol8:

Tronk toe natuurlik...

Offline Thunderlinde

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bellville Breker
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 02:34:25 pm »
Indien daar genoeg spasie is, sal ek verby die "boom" ry. Indien nie, betaal ek maar.

KTM 950 Adv
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda XL 125

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2019, 02:46:22 pm »
Just a note to the guys who argue that it is not fair to be charged the same as a normal passenger vehicle - roads are designed to fail after a determined number of axle-loads and it boils down to contact patch pressure. I have not done the calculations, but I wouldn't be surprised if the heavier bikes did similar or even more damage than cars, given the much smaller contact patch.

That being said, both motor cars and bikes do negligent damage to the road, especially when compared to slightly overloaded trucks.

Agree, they should charge GS riders DOUBLE us normal bikes.....  ;) :lol8:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2019, 02:57:31 pm »
Just a note to the guys who argue that it is not fair to be charged the same as a normal passenger vehicle - roads are designed to fail after a determined number of axle-loads and it boils down to contact patch pressure. I have not done the calculations, but I wouldn't be surprised if the heavier bikes did similar or even more damage than cars, given the much smaller contact patch.

That being said, both motor cars and bikes do negligent damage to the road, especially when compared to slightly overloaded trucks.

Agree, they should charge GS riders DOUBLE us normal bikes.....  ;) :lol8:

In fact if they just charge all bikes larger than 650cc class the same toll as cars then the rest of us can be toll free.  :peepwall:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2019, 02:58:47 pm »
Its a rite of passage, like puffing your first ziggie at school behind the bike shed... you should try it at least ONCE in your life.... :lol8:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 09:00:57 pm »

I think I would have just replied

Dear Mr VanWyk

I'm sorry to hear that just before 08h30 that someone on a motorcycle like or similar to mine with a clone of my numberplate somehow managed to skip your TollGate, that bastard has been getting speeding fines and driving under e toll gantries for quite a while now and he's really getting me into a lot of trouble, I say he's riding a bile like or similar to mine but my bike is a BMW and the cylinders stick out the side making the bike so wide that no BMW rider would ever consider trying to squeeze between the boom  and what ever structure is next to it but I really do hope you find this reprobate and give him all hell.

Thank you for your understanding

XXXXX
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:12:38 pm by Offroadrider »

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 12:56:50 am »
Ek betaal maar die tolhekke, dit is maar net die regte ding om te doen.
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:03 am »

@WillemDP ....... is dit jy?

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 11:23:23 am »
FOK HULLE, ek gee hulle nie vers die skuim van n oggend pee nie!
Just because your bachelors did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline chicco

• Revolution or death........
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 01:44:14 pm »
Just read an article on tyre contact patch and the whole motorcycle being smaller than a car argument for not paying tollfees goes out the window. Although a motorbike is much lighter than a vehcile the total contact patch of a motorbike is smaller, working out the point pressure on the road is in most +1000cc bikes higher then the avarage vehicle.  :eek7:
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 02:26:52 pm »
Just read an article on tyre contact patch and the whole motorcycle being smaller than a car argument for not paying tollfees goes out the window. Although a motorbike is much lighter than a vehcile the total contact patch of a motorbike is smaller, working out the point pressure on the road is in most +1000cc bikes higher then the avarage vehicle.  :eek7:

But then with a smaller contact patch you do damage to a smaller portion of the road....   ???

The studies I seen refer to axle load. They don't take into account if the truck has only two or four tyres on said axle.

Offline Piet

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 02:34:42 pm »

But then with a smaller contact patch you do damage to a smaller portion of the road....   ???

The studies I seen refer to axle load. They don't take into account if the truck has only two or four tyres on said axle.
Axle loads are used to simplify the calculations for road designers. The actual damage is done by pressure exerted on the pavement - the materials do not ask questions about number or layout of wheels, it only feels the pressure and reacts accordingly.

Yes, smaller area of the road, but if one crack forms, water can get past the seal into the layer works and then deterioration is accelerated. Still, as mentioned previously - the damage caused by light traffic is negligible. The only reason I brought this up initially was to say that bikes shouldn't necessarily be paying less than small vehicles. People should own up and admit that it is for personal gain that they do not pay. 

Offline Epilot

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 05:08:48 pm »
As far as I know I have never cracked a road, do I still have to pay?

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2019, 05:20:04 pm »
ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TOLD THE ROAD ENGINEERS TO UP THEIR GAME , AND BUILD MORE "PRESSURE RESISTANT" ROADS ......................................
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 07:35:42 pm »
ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TOLD THE ROAD ENGINEERS TO UP THEIR GAME , AND BUILD MORE "PRESSURE RESISTANT" ROADS ......................................

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :thumleft:

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2019, 10:35:27 pm »
Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree with my thoughts here.

From looking at the roads in pretoria and to the north of pretoria I think the most damage in residential areas comes from larger heavier vehicles accelerating and braking at robots and stop streets. You can see how the tar has been moved at the robots, coming to a stop at the lights it looks as though the tar is pushed forward by the braking, and leaving the lights like the tar has been pulled back by the accelerating vehicles.

On open roads the most damage is done while the roads are wet and water is pushed into the road surface, it forms cracks and water gets pushed through them under the tar forming cavities under the road surface. The tar then gets broken up and you end up with potholes. Just my very basic "understanding" of how potholes are formed.

While the pressure on the road surface from bikes riding over it is higher I would think the motorcycle wheels with their smaller contact patch would displace water quite a bit more and would push less water into the road surface than a wider car tyre or a very wide truck tyre? And because of the low weight they would push and pull the tar a lot less than cars and trucks at stop streets and traffic lights?
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...