ACROPOVIC CYLENCER REBUILD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Yesterday I visited Bikeparts on line in search of some spares to repair a clients bike , ( spares are no longer available new ) unfortunately they could not assist , but had a number to see if they can find me the parts , While chatting I saw A silencer on one of the racks , looked familiar from the joining connection , picked it up and yes it was for a 1190 , Asked the price and it was just about free!!!!
I purchases it there and then , Silencer  in need of some TLC /REBUILD .
Previous owner used a rattle can to paint it black , the heel guard is gone and the rear cap has been attached with some Allen cap screws , it has a small ding under where the heel plate fits and the strap is bent / kinked .

Repairs needed
1 , strip down to parts , paint strip the parts , or sand .
2, find silencer packing
3 , possible need for perforated pipe repair
4, repair the ding , try to knock the ding out or cut it off , need to then shorten the pipe by about 15 mm .
5, buy net securing straps and stainless rivets.
6, research sending the parts to be powder coated ,
7, find suitable silencer packing , have used think pink in the past and it has worked , I also believe fiber glass sheet would also do the job , Original Akro packing very expensive ( ideas?) 
8, find replacement heel guard any ideas or only oem?
9, assemble and fit to bike .

The cost of the silencer was negligible and it is very worth my while to rebuild the pipe ,even if a spend some money on it I will still come out ahead , and once this has been done I mite have a Gutted stock pipe for sale . If you have serviced your Acro pipe and can lend some advice please do so , would highly appreciate any information and help .
Ps is it a good idea to have the pipe powder coated or should I just paint it with a good paint? Heat resistend tends to turn to powder and will wash off. A paint like Rustoleam has given me good results on my Jeep and that is the one I would  use if I have to paint the can