Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 30000 KM SERVICE  (Read 1005 times)

Offline NEON DEON

30000 KM SERVICE
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:29:33 am »
15 Months of ownership and its time for a big service , Fortunately my son is a KTM tech, and  I am also in the bike business so we are doing the service at home , doing the fuel pump filter , oil filter and shims , fitting new plugs , eina but they expensive ,
When I removed the airfilter I found a lot of bugs in the filter , so its doing its job well , but thinking of adding some prefilter sponge into the intake pipes , Friend makes up special car filters , scored some course filter foam from him , going to try it out and see , hope to keep some of the bugs out .
Last night we removed the tank, throttle bodies and tappet covers , checked the clearance and found the inlets to be tight , exhaust ones in spec , so tonight we will shim it , tomorrow time to do the pump filter , then clean all the parts and reassemble .
 Just in time for our Easter ride down to the South coast .

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: 30000 KM SERVICE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 01:40:44 pm »
where is the pictures??

Will you do brake fluid as well? Its not part of the 30k service though
I also need to take the tank off again, due for an airfilter clean, not really looking forward to it.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 04:05:06 pm »
where is the pictures??

I also need to take the tank off again, due for an airfilter clean, not really looking forward to it.

How often do you clean it? 

I also think I should after 7k kms but I'm lazy as hell :biggrin: 

30k sounds like I should just fork out the money for someone else to do. The oil change is fine but getting to the front valves sounds like an epic mission.

Offline hiltonph

• :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 06:11:38 am »
15 Months of ownership and its time for a big service , Fortunately my son is a KTM tech, and  I am also in the bike business so we are doing the service at home , doing the fuel pump filter , oil filter and shims , fitting new plugs , eina but they expensive ,
When I removed the airfilter I found a lot of bugs in the filter , so its doing its job well , but thinking of adding some prefilter sponge into the intake pipes , Friend makes up special car filters , scored some course filter foam from him , going to try it out and see , hope to keep some of the bugs out .
Last night we removed the tank, throttle bodies and tappet covers , checked the clearance and found the inlets to be tight , exhaust ones in spec , so tonight we will shim it , tomorrow time to do the pump filter , then clean all the parts and reassemble .
 Just in time for our Easter ride down to the South coast .

My bike is coming into its 60k service. I also like to do the services myself as ktm workshops sometimes just check the intake valve clearances and if they are in spec they dont bother with the front exhaust clearances. I like to take of the radiator and flush the coolant system and respray the radiator again so it looks new. It also opens up a lot of space in front so its easier to check the front valves. Its not really a lot more work to do and coolant isn't that expensive anyway. While you are down there i like to cover up everything and deep clean in between the 2 cylinders as there is always lots of dust there. I actually enjoy working on my 1190 and can remove all the fairings and tank to get to the airbox in 5 min. This also being said usually the time the workshops book out is always more than actually needed to do the service. It not the parts that are expensive its the labour. Its always good doing maintenance yourself as you get to know your bike inside and out.  Good luck with the service and happy saving.
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 10:38:11 pm »
where is the pictures??

30k sounds like I should just fork out the money for someone else to do. The oil change is fine but getting to the front valves sounds like an epic mission.

Get a qoute from KTM for this Service, then we talk again  :laughing4:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 06:40:07 am »
Valve clearance done , also did the fuel filters last night , Was surprised at how dirty the filters was, the teabag one was black ( new it is white) and the paper filter was just as dirty , but its done now . tonight we start to reassemble . should not take long to do .
 Will also do the brake fluid .
While everything was apart I cleaned  up , but that mite be a bit of a waste of time as when next on a ride dust will just get stuck on it again , but ocd says clean , so it was cleaned . Also gives one first hand chance to check all the areas and make sure its tight , and in good order .

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:01:26 am »
where is the pictures??

I guess I have 3 years to save for it :biggrin:

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 12:09:48 pm »
where is the pictures??

Umm.. whats a ballpark quote? R10k?
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:42 pm »
where is the pictures??

Yeah I think it was around there, 9ish or so.  Also depends on how much other shit they try get you to do at the same time.  If you start adding things like chain and sprockets it gets steep very quickly.

If there somewhere to find the spark plugs without the dealer tax yet? :biggrin:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 12:27:08 pm »
there was some ebay sites. But tracmac either did not have or wasn't much less....plus you are not to sure its the correct ones. In the end I let the dealership know they can continue to change the spark plugs. (which the lovely gents forgot)

R8k is more the normal price, but yes. Normally you add some stuff, I also added new neck bearings (which was loose again 500km later...lovely gents those) and replaced the petrol filters as well. So then you are already on the wrong side of R10k.
Chain and sprockets isn't overly expensive at KTM, so its a good idea to have done, or fit the powerparts rear sprocket (around R1400 though) which looks awesome.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 02:19:48 pm »
where is the pictures??

Yeah I think it was around there, 9ish or so.  Also depends on how much other shit they try get you to do at the same time.  If you start adding things like chain and sprockets it gets steep very quickly.

If there somewhere to find the spark plugs without the dealer tax yet? :biggrin:

It seems the sparkplugs are $$$!

I will probably order them from overseas and supply them to KTM come service time.

Apparently it takes the following plugs;

2x LKAR9BI-10
2x LMAR7DI-10
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:55 pm »
KTM was in fact cheaper on the plugs , than the equivalent NGK ones . But , I did not replace them, on removal , checked the gap and it was still spot on wih the book , so cleaned and refitted . I often think plugs are just changed as a matter of course .

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 03:10:29 pm »
I did the big Service on my 990 by Ktm and added sprockets and chain etc etc and the bill was R21 000.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 06:43:36 am »
Service done and I cant be happier . Big thanks to my Son, he did a great job . One thing I did notice , when I used to start the bike , it had a bit of a hesitation ,  like to much compression for the starter to turn , now it starts easy and smooth .
We also did a brake fluid change and did the clutch as well . Time wise the service took about 6 hours , we only worked at night after hours .

PARTS REQUIRED
1 X  FUEL-PUMP FILTER KIT
4 X SHIMS
1 X OIL FILTER
1 X AIR-FILTER OIL
1 X 500 ML BRAKE FLUID
1 X 100 ML HYDROLIC FLUID
1 X CARB CLEANER
1 X 4LT ENGINE OIL
RAGS  , CABLE TIES
SPECIAL TOOLS -  CRANK LOCK PIN , MAGNETIC FINGER , VERNIER , TORQS  BITS & T DRIVERS , SOKET SET , SPANNER SET .

Offline DanieW

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
Thanks for the update :)

What was the total cost of all the parts? If you don't mind sharing..

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 10:11:20 am »
I dont mind sharing , The KTM parts came to under a grand , but I GET family discount , ( son works at KTM , technician)  he could help me with some shims , but the about R60.00 each , brake fluid R150.00 Hydrolic fluid R135.00  . Motul
engine oil ,R 600.00 another dealer specail , ( about R650.00  normal price)
 and then the labour that I did not pay for .

Offline hiltonph

• :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:51 am »
I dont mind sharing , The KTM parts came to under a grand , but I GET family discount , ( son works at KTM , technician)  he could help me with some shims , but the about R60.00 each , brake fluid R150.00 Hydrolic fluid R135.00  . Motul
engine oil ,R 600.00 another dealer specail , ( about R650.00  normal price)
 and then the labour that I did not pay for .

Thats where the difference comes in. Even if you buy everything from the dealer you would not spend much more than 2 grand to do the big service. While i am in the there i usually drain coolant and flush and add  new coolant. Thus being a bit more expensive.
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline DanieW

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 11:02:06 am »
Someone willing to train me in being a mechanic so I can service my bike myself? :)

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 02:54:39 pm »
Someone willing to train me in being a mechanic so I can service my bike myself? :)

The basic oil change is pretty straight forward, but the valve clearance is a bit more involved and plenty of stuff needs to be removed to get access.    That;s only at 30k kms anyway and buy then your warranty will most likely be over and you can take it to any trusted independent bike guy to do.

Offline DanieW

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:29 pm »
Videos on oil change?

Which oil is everyone using for the  1290 SAR?

The fact that services are every 15000km I feel I would like to change the oil every 7500km.