Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How is this possible?  (Read 817 times)

Offline Odd Dog

How is this possible?
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:08:18 pm »
Bought a pair of brown X Kulture riding pants  at the Buffalo Rally for R1200.00, our local bike shops prices range from R2100 - R2300 also picked up a decent leather riding jacket for R700.  :-\
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
Re: How is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:23 pm »
We get seriously ripped of. I bought engine parts from a dealer that I could have got half price from Canada, postage included, but we lazy to do the schlep of ordering overseas, and in a hurry, the agents and local shops know this and rip us off. Sort of like monopoly.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:46:31 pm »
And the mark-up on clothing is generally criminal.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Noneking

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:50:38 pm »

Import tax on clothing is extremely high. Bought a tshirt on american site. Landed here and had to pay more than the value of shirt on import tax

So if you see me wearing an AdvAddicts tshirt that looks the worse for wear...... I’m trying to get full value out of it
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:07:36 pm »
Bought a pair of brown X Kulture riding pants  at the Buffalo Rally for R1200.00, our local bike shops prices range from R2100 - R2300 also picked up a decent leather riding jacket for R700.  :-\

Capitalism.  "Charge what the market will bear".
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Kelevra

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 02:12:08 pm »
It is our own fault as Bear mentioned, I buy clothes in the USA or Mauritius. Paid R120 for jeans in the USA and R100 for 3 Armani shirts is Mauritius. Shoes in AUS cost about 40% of what it costs here. Crazy, we save a lot on certain foods though.
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

Offline Bensien

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 02:23:26 pm »
It is our own fault as Bear mentioned, I buy clothes in the USA or Mauritius. Paid R120 for jeans in the USA and R100 for 3 Armani shirts is Mauritius. Shoes in AUS cost about 40% of what it costs here. Crazy, we save a lot on certain foods though.

I paid $17 for a hamburger in the USA and $17 for a pair of Levi Jeans. In SA the burger would be R60 and the jeans R600
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Kelevra

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:36:28 pm »

I paid $17 for a hamburger in the USA and $17 for a pair of Levi Jeans. In SA the burger would be R60 and the jeans R600

Yes, paid on average R140 for a draught beer and R350 for a pack of 20 cigarettes in Sydney. In Tasmania a decent size (300g) 8+ wagyu steak will set you back R500
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:32 pm »

Quote from: Odd Dog on Today at 01:08:18 pm>Bought a pair of brown X Kulture riding pants  at the Buffalo Rally for R1200.00, our local bike shops prices range from R2100 - R2300 also picked up a decent leather riding jacket for R700.  :-\
We have sold XKulcha for 7 years now...
>They would have cost R1670 incl vat at the Flying Brick Store, however, and not R2200 - R2300.
Preston, the owner of XKulcha has the discretion when selling directly (himself, at Rallies) to cut his prices to the bone - JUST be aware that SOME of the products he sells, are discontinued / redundant / one-off color stock, etc, that he chooses to 'set free' at Rallies, and done the same at his 4 warehouse clearance sales every quarter, or 6 monthly, or whatever.
there are major costs in STOCKING clothing as a Retailer; we carry all XKulcha product in TWO leg lengths (Regular leg and short leg), as well as the size break (size-break curve - we stock sizes 32 - 46, which is 14 sizes when you factor in short leg and long leg), and then we stock 7 different STYLES (Enduro + Camo Cargo + Biker X + Mens Classic + Easy Overs +++)
then, we do the same in Female! So the costs of carry clothing PROPERLY are R200K+, if done well. In the hope of someone walking in and wanting a specific size and cut and style and leg length - that is what retail is about.
J-U-S-T letting you know that our margin is modest - this is a case of the owner almost certainly 'clearing' some stock at his own prices, and his own discretion, DIRECT to public, and reaping the benefits of STILL making margin without a middle-man, etc.
Am copying in Preston on this, for the sake of transparency.
Cheers, Chris & the Team

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline CycleC

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 03:20:05 pm »
Wholesale/ Importer 101: Never, I repeat Never ever sell directly to the public unless you want a very unhappy dealer network who have paid to stock your products. Not cool.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:06:51 pm by CycleC »

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick, ETS, wilfwalk

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 03:50:48 pm »

Quote from: Odd Dog on Today at 01:08:18 pm>Bought a pair of brown X Kulture riding pants  at the Buffalo Rally for R1200.00, our local bike shops prices range from R2100 - R2300 also picked up a decent leather riding jacket for R700.  :-\
We have sold XKulcha for 7 years now...
>They would have cost R1670 incl vat at the Flying Brick Store, however, and not R2200 - R2300.
Preston, the owner of XKulcha has the discretion when selling directly (himself, at Rallies) to cut his prices to the bone - JUST be aware that SOME of the products he sells, are discontinued / redundant / one-off color stock, etc, that he chooses to 'set free' at Rallies, and done the same at his 4 warehouse clearance sales [/b][/i]every quarter, or 6 monthly, or whatever.
there are major costs in STOCKING clothing as a Retailer; we carry all XKulcha product in TWO leg lengths (Regular leg and short leg), as well as the size break (size-break curve - we stock sizes 32 - 46, which is 14 sizes when you factor in short leg and long leg), and then we stock 7 different STYLES (Enduro + Camo Cargo + Biker X + Mens Classic + Easy Overs +++)
then, we do the same in Female! So the costs of carry clothing PROPERLY are R200K+, if done well. In the hope of someone walking in and wanting a specific size and cut and style and leg length - that is what retail is about.
J-U-S-T letting you know that our margin is modest - this is a case of the owner almost certainly 'clearing' some stock at his own prices, and his own discretion, DIRECT to public, and reaping the benefits of STILL making margin without a middle-man, etc.
Am copying in Preston on this, for the sake of transparency.
Cheers, Chris & the Team

That is probably the reason and that's understandable, I have no desire to always have the latest fashion in riding gear,  :thumleft:
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Meteor

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:16 pm »

Import tax on clothing is extremely high. Bought a tshirt on american site. Landed here and had to pay more than the value of shirt on import tax

So if you see me wearing an AdvAddicts tshirt that looks the worse for wear...... I’m trying to get full value out of it
Let them itemise the bill next time, you should not be paying tax on shipping costs afaik.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:59 am »
reply received from Preston, owner of XKulcha, which I post here in it's entirety:
hi Chris,
thanks for your succinct reply to the customer and for copying me in. You have said it as it is.
The goods available at the rally that we sell for R1100, R1200 and R1300 are indeed end of range/season stock, meaning odd sizes, factory rejects and old stock that we are wanting to clear. Those garments are sold as is, no hip pads and no factory guarantee. We make that clear to people and for many people it is acceptable. They are happy to pay less for a shop soiled garment. Current stock we discount by 10% as we feel that if there is no incentive people will have no reason to buy as they can buy from retailers at RRP.
We only do two rallies a year (AMID HAS BEEN CANCELLED) and it is a rare opportunity for customers outside Gauteng  to meet us and for us to do some market research as well as marketing. So anybody that is leveling accusations at the dealers for unfair price hiking are ignorant of the fact that dealerships are under enormous pressure to upkeep rent, staff and stock. That is the nature of retail and to compare a once off public event and a “stock clearance exercise" to regular retail is unfair and unjust. Without the dealers supporting us we would not have a business.
Keep up the good work and thanks for your continuous support.
Preston
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 09:18:59 am »
The reality is that margins on riding gear is very high as is most retail products, yes the retailer has rent and staff to pay, that is always the go to reason, but go open up an account at Leatt and try to sell the product at 30% less than everyone else as a loss leader and see if they will carry on supplying you, some see the recommended retail price is borderline collusion in the industry, some see it as the means by which the manufacturer protects the shops with high rents from being killed by the guy operating out his garage, you decide. The other reality is that they don't sell 30 pants a day XK pants are expensive and the quality means that you can ride with them for 10 years before replacing. That is a long time for a dealer to wait for you to come back and replace them.

I bought a pair of Red Bull Kini pants so long ago I cant remember when it was and they not even starting to show signs of ware and I got those on Special at a dealer for R1300 without any end of range excuse, if you look out for specials they are there to be had.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: katana