Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Getting a KLE ready for a little trip  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Skeltonsc

Getting a KLE ready for a little trip
« on: June 29, 2019, 09:12:13 pm »
Howzit Guys, so I bought a little KLE500 last year August because my Vstrom was in for surgery and I hated riding the car while waiting for parts  :deal:

So after reading a few posts about the Ben 10 I decided I really want to do this.

My KLE is stock standard and desperately in need of some Farkles to add weight and make it slower  :imaposer: :imaposer:

So over the next few months I will be doing some work to it as my budget allows

Last month I got a very nice used jacket and Helmet off of the Pay kit forward, Today I picked up some tyres from GMT in Centurion so this saves me from having to get tyres for both the DL1000 and the KLE so more money for farkles O0

Ok as for equipment

1. Soft Luggage - Give saddle bags - DONE
2. Crashbars - Ordered from Hennie at Weltec - will get these next week - DONE
3. Fuel will be a Desert fox 6l Bladder from Flying Brick - Still have to order this
4. Footpegs - need some offroad ones as I hate the feel of wet rubber :thumleft: - DONE will fit over the weekend
5. Dog Bones - Will go see DocKLR as I'm certain the KLR ones will do the trick - DONE
6. Mudguard - This trip will be more than likely done end of JAN begining of FEB next year so will source a polisport one from DocKLR - DONE
7. Radiator Guard - as per FuzzyMuzzy this is a must and can be made cheaply
8. GPS - Etrex30 needs a new LCD - R600 will order end of July ( I really wish I knew how the LCD cracked as there is not a mark on the casing) - WILL be delivered Soon
9. Ram Mount for GPS  - will order off Ubuy for around R700
11. Soft luggage frame - Will figure something out as I just need to keep the bags off the exhaust - Got s Silicone drying mat will make it work - DONE
12. Bash Plate - I'm in two minds about this one. but I will more than likely buy a new one from Flying Brick or SSS same price  :thumleft:

As for Trip equipment I need the following

1. Riding pants - Got a new (Used but basically new) pair of Xculta enduro pants my last pair lasted around 7 years  :ricky: - DONE
2. Spare Tubes - Have
3. Puncture Kit - Have
4. small compressor - will get another cheap midas one
5. Sleeping bag and Tent - Budget - R1000 - will keep an eye out on Takealot/ Makro
6. Boots this is something I have to shop for - DONE thanx Welsh  :thumleft:
7.Camping mat - will not really be used often but also Takealot/Makro
8. Gas stove - Seen them around the R300-R400 mark
9.Small Tank bag for odds and ends - R 300 - DONE
10. Knee Guards - Have some nice Thor Braces - DONE
11. Camel bag - HAVE

then in December I will need to get the following

1. Fit new Tyres going to use Mitas E07 Rear and probably a E09 front as know them well from my KLR days
2. New Chain and Sprockets - mine are on 18k and nearly time for replacement although I have not adjusted it yet and its not hanging any more than it did when I fitted it

Will add more when I think of it and will post monthly progress 8)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:39:48 pm by Skeltonsc »

Offline Skeltonsc

Re: Getting a KLE ready for a little trip
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 10:33:16 am »
So my CrashBars arrived today  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: Thank you Hennie from Weltec engineering

will fit them this weekend and while I'm busy I will sommer clean the carbs out and check valve clearances, as there is a flat spot developing but I know is got a small piece of rubber from the fuel tap sitting in the bowl.

I love the fact that valve clearances can be done without having to source shims etc. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline LRFan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 07:32:11 am »
Keep us updated with progress, big boy goot pegs fit without to mush trouble, I just left the tensioner springs out. Can send you
a nice size carrier plate drawing that I had made for my KLE if interested. The  stock one will be ok if you are not going to rock hopping.
Regards.
Hannes.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:46:12 am »
Ok so crashbars were fitted over the weekend, They are nice and sturdy however I think maintenance will be a bit of a pain as the side panels can no longer be removed without removing the crashbars

Also fitted the HID lights that I got from Louis

Only fitted one as i still want to be able the Flash my brights and the HID takes too long to warm up for that.

Next month I will get dog Bones and raise the bike, I also want to fit a proper front fender so am also looking at options as to what would look best.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:29:21 am »
ok so this month end I will be fitting Shorter dog bones sourced from a KLR650C they are 10mm shorter so will be good to raise the back around 5cm,

Also need to find another kickstand so am looking at a curved KLR650 one that I can lengthen around 4cm to keep the bike upright.

I have my eyes on a Polisport front fender as well

All from Graham AKA DocKLR

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 08:23:00 pm »
Ok so another month has passed, wow time fly's

Ordered my LCD replacement screen for my Garmin Etrex today off AliExpress @ R531 with shipping

and A small 35 x 25 magnetic tank bag off Banggood R280 with shipping insurance

Am going to see the Doc tomorrow with regards to the KLR SideStand and dog bones  :thumleft: :thumleft:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:24:13 pm by Skeltonsc »

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 08:26:24 pm »
Next month I will do the Front fender and a Ram Mount for the Etrex as well as the Foot pegs

Things are coming together nicely

O0 O0

Offline LRFan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:32 am »
Thanks for updates, keep them coming.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 12:33:21 pm »
So, my KLE is coming along nicely, New dogbones are fitted, wow that bike is high, can still flat foot both feet so not uncomfortably high

but it did come up 5cm and I also spaced out the front by 30mm I now need to figure out how to set the headlight up as it points a little too far down.

so from the ground to the belly plate I'm sitting at around 24cm which is one hell of a lot higher than what it was, I measured this at 17cm
Also set the preload up 2 spots and fitted the KLR new shape sidestand, I think I may have to cut the stand 1cm shorter as the bike is a little vertical and if I load it she may just topple over.

Also got a Polisport front fender for the bike, will figure out how to mount this in the coming weeks, but no rush for that.

have also been thinking I want to carry spare brake and clutch levers, spare clutch cable and am looking for used hand guards with the alu bracket. so will keep my eyes open for a set.

As the interweb prices are a little crazy and out of my budget.at R1600 t0 R3000  : >:(

then its basically just a bash plate and possible a luggage rack for the rear then the bike is done.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:37:37 pm by Skeltonsc »

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 01:12:32 pm »
My little Tank bag was delivered today, perfect size for a few odds and ends :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 07:32:33 pm »
Howzit Guys,

So I ordered my Bigboy footpegs today, will collect on Wednesday, the TSR pegs should fit and are under R500 a set.

this month I need to service the bike and catch up on a few other things so my budget is screwed for any other farkles

am planning to order my bash plate at the end of September

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 07:35:54 pm »
just a pic. the bike is coming along nicely

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 09:47:51 pm »
Howzit Guys, well my GPS screen never worked cause the dam GPS is DOA so I bought a basically brand new Vista CX I know its old but I had one and it never really gave kak till the rubber had perished.

This one I found came in the original box, had the original 64mb card in it from an oke who says he bought it and forgot about it.

I have now installed the T4A maps and some other maps that I had on the Etrex 30 so I'm quite happy with the GPS

Today I was on Facebook and found a very nice DMD impact vest for R250 and collected my foot pegs from BigBoy fourways, I fitted them this evening and they fit perfectly.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 07:39:53 am »
Pics or it didnt happen.....

:biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 07:41:22 am »
Cool man, can yo show a bit of detail of that front fender? I would like to do something like that too.
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline BullSmit

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Bullfrog
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 11:14:36 am »
Nice one, Skelton!!!  :salut: :salut: :salut:

Building something to your own liking over a period of time..
I just get up every morning and go out. And I dont let the old man in, Clint Eastwood

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 01:53:25 pm »
as promised here are some pics

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 01:55:19 pm »
I fitted a water pipe clamp over the triple clamp just incase the rawl bold comes lose and the bracket that I made, still need to paint the bracket with some red oxide and black paint, will do that next month.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 01:58:05 pm »
today I fitted a KTM exhaust that I had lying around, makes the bike a little quieter but still sounds better than stock.

Its slightly longer than the one I took off so it won't blow hot exhaust gas onto my Pannier bags

Hey its now got Kawasaki reliability and KTM performance  :deal: :deal: :deal:

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 04:01:54 pm »
i have the same exhaust on my KLE, just be aware that it gets really hot.
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.