Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What boots for daily commute?  (Read 531 times)

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
What boots for daily commute?
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:27:26 pm »
I do about 100kms everyday from Randburg to Boksburg. I've seen my fair share of bikers not wearing the proper ATGATT come off second best in accidents. Almost all of of them were not wearing proper boots. The thing that always stick with me is the amount of guys I see daily on the roads with tekkies/hiking boots.

I still wear my Oxtar Infinity boots I bought a long time ago, but watching all the horrific injuries I think I need to upgrade. I always change clothes when I get to the office so I don't have to walk in them all day.

So do I go for maximum protection, MX boots, or something more sensible like Sidi Crossfire boots?

What say you?
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Ganjora

Re: What boots for daily commute?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:52:30 pm »
SG12

Offline spyker

• Meet the twins!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 02:05:19 pm »
SG12

Yes, that is a mean boot. Definitely on the list.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 02:05:52 pm »
I've been wearing safetyboots for the last 10 years a pair only lasts max 6 months.

I really don't want to come off with them but I think they are better than tekkies

I used to commute with MX boots but that was when I worked on a silica mine and had a 10km Sand/Mud road to ride everyday.

now I work in an open plan office so no space to store stinky boots under my desk.  :imaposer:

Offline Partyranger

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 03:17:59 pm »
The forma short boots are super comfortable and they fit under most pants.
They are a little warmer than most other boots but i wear mine all day every day.
KTM 690 Rally- more smiles per miles than any car.

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 03:28:48 pm »
I recently got a pair of W2 adventure boots and wear them on my commute.
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 05:17:47 pm »
If you are only commuting just get a pair of Harley boots. Then you can walk into work with them also.

Assumption here but Harley boots are safe for road biking??
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »
SG12

:eek7: Do you compliment that with a medieval suit of armour?

Offline captain jack

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 08:57:36 pm »
I rate boots as mega important. One's ankle is so delicate. I had an off a  month ago, minor at 10km/h and the bike landed on my foot and I was completely trapped. Ankle fine ,and that is with Santiago's, but next pair will be up a level.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 05:07:58 am »
SG12

in my recent off my left foot and lower leg was slammed between my bikes engine and the side of a car.
my fibula was broken above boot height.
my foot and ankle were not even bruised.
i keep work shoes on both sides,  and use bike shoes to ride.
there's a couple of guys on the forum who have hurt their feet recently,  let's hear from them.

Offline Zanie

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 04:42:16 pm »

I spent 3 months on crutches when my bike fell on my foot while wearing W2s. I now wear full MX boots for commuting, adventure and dirt bike riding. A good pair will last you well - mine have lasted 5 years now. Yet I understand that, for most, such kit will be a mission. I change to slops/takkies when at work (very chilled dress code) and have space to stash all my kit. My work colleagues always joke that "Robocop" has arrived, when I clomp in wearing 4 kilos of boots.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 04:47:41 pm »
SG12

in my recent off my left foot and lower leg was slammed between my bikes engine and the side of a car.
my fibula was broken above boot height.
my foot and ankle were not even bruised.
i keep work shoes on both sides,  and use bike shoes to ride.
there's a couple of guys on the forum who have hurt their feet recently,  let's hear from them.

:thumleft:

Offline caconcepts

• Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:08 pm »

I spent 3 months on crutches when my bike fell on my foot while wearing W2s. I now wear full MX boots for commuting, adventure and dirt bike riding. A good pair will last you well - mine have lasted 5 years now. Yet I understand that, for most, such kit will be a mission. I change to slops/takkies when at work (very chilled dress code) and have space to stash all my kit. My work colleagues always joke that "Robocop" has arrived, when I clomp in wearing 4 kilos of boots.

Yikes...... :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 02:15:23 pm »
You cannot commute in MX boots.... that is just not practical for most people and an overkill imo.... I personally found a pair of Alpinestar Ridge V2 boots at FireItUp on one of their promotions... have been wearing them for 2 years day in day out as they are sturdy, comfy,safe, waterproof and look killer with a pair of jeans.... no need for any other shoes then :thumleft:

Cheaper boots chafe the suede/plastic or whatever shite they layer on the outside in no time... the Alpines still look like the day I bought them ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:16:12 pm by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 02:40:04 pm »
The forma short boots are super comfortable and they fit under most pants.
They are a little warmer than most other boots but i wear mine all day every day.
Yup, same here. Going close to 4 years now with mine, they're my all-day office shoes.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 02:47:04 pm »
Ja it may be inconvenient, but I also wear mx boots if I commute.

I still occasionally ride in plakkies but that thread a while ago by Dwerg does make me think twice and often makes me rather at the very least wear mx boots, even with shorts  :lol8: (yes I know, I'm that guy)
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline spyker

• Meet the twins!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 02:48:33 pm »
I'm sort of leaning towards the Sidi Crossfire boots because of the hinged ankle. It might make wearing them for extended periods tolerable.

Online iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 03:23:17 pm »
I wear Tech 5 boots for ALL riding - even a trip to the Spar. They're a little softer than full-on MX boots so I can walk around and negotiate stairs easily enough. Definitely not all day boots though.
Aside from head, the hands/wrists and ankles/lower legs always seem to be the most common injury points and the most difficult recovery so I try and make sure I'm protected there.

I was thankful I was wearing proper boots when my 990 split a radiator hose and pissed boiling water onto my shin. I would have had serious burns if I was wearing shorties or normal shoes.

It's the same story with any discussion about which helmet to buy, jeans vs easy-overs, jackets when its hot etc: The more you wear the less likely you are to be injured but the less comfortable you are. There's no right or wrong answer here; You choose your balance.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Partyranger

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 03:28:05 pm »
I'm sort of leaning towards the Sidi Crossfire boots because of the hinged ankle. It might make wearing them for extended periods tolerable.

The Crossfires are very nice boots.  I have a pair of Gaerne SG12 boots that I use for enduro or when I plan a social ride involving more dirt than tar.
The hinges work quite well and helps so the boots last longer in terms of ankle support.

The problem with off-road boots for daily commuting is they don't fit under most pants so you have to tuck your pants inside.  This means you cannot wear them if you have to shoot out for a quick meeting or just going to the shop for a cold drink. 

I prefer boots that you put on in the morning and wear all day.  The adventure type(and there's a few brands, even alpine star) short boots look like normal safety boots and can be worn all day, even to meetings.
At the end of the day if you do not have to attend meetings and can change in and out of your bike gear then nothing rivals the protection of enduro boots.
Like iamgigglz comment, each one must decide for yourself the balance between comfort and protection.

2 examples of adventure boots that can be worn like normal shoes.
https://bikerswarehouse.co.za/rider-accessories/?categories=6&sub-categories=16&SingleProduct=7772
https://bikerswarehouse.co.za/rider-accessories/?categories=6&sub-categories=16&SingleProduct=7616
KTM 690 Rally- more smiles per miles than any car.

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 08:17:53 pm »
Thor Blitz are great commuters. Like pretty solid ADV boots up to just over the ankle. Easy to walk in and small enough to pack into the topbox when I arrive at a client.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln